737 HUD Landing!

Very cool. Thanks for posting it.

Nice view of the office from another perspective

Definitely cool.

Now, how can I figure out what I was looking at? Lots of symbols, numbers and etc.

Definitely cool.

Now, how can I figure out what I was looking at? Lots of symbols, numbers and etc.
Left number is speed, right is altitude, middle number is radar altimeter. The goal is to fly the small circle in the bigger circle. I'm not sure why there HUD on civilian aircraft. The only thing I can think of is so they can shoot approaches to lower minimums but the 737 can autoland so it's not really necessary.

At least it doesn't call you a retard like those arrogant Frenchmen do. :rofl:

Left number is speed, right is altitude, middle number is radar altimeter. The goal is to fly the small circle in the bigger circle. I'm not sure why there HUD on civilian aircraft. The only thing I can think of is so they can shoot approaches to lower minimums but the 737 can autoland so it's not really necessary.

HUDs allow for lower minimum takeoffs. I'd also imagine they would allow lower minimums if certain items are MEL'd, but that I'm not as sure about!

but the 737 can autoland so it's not really necessary.

The issue with autoland is that few runways are CAT III certified. HUD allows lower minimums at more airports. It's also a safety issue. There is no looking back and forth inside and outside on CAT I and CAT II approaches.

The issue with autoland is that few runways are CAT III certified. HUD allows lower minimums at more airports. It's also a safety issue. There is no looking back and forth inside and outside on CAT I and CAT II approaches.
That makes sense

I hope to be able to see/do that in person some day.

I forgot to mention how nifty seeing some photos of the 787 HUD was last week. They have little sunglasses type things to clip on them for daytime flight to give contrast. Pretty damn cool.

I'm not sure why there HUD on civilian aircraft.

Along with what others have said. Once you understand what you are looking at. It is nice to have your scan reduced to an 8" x 7" piece of glass that is directly in front of your field of vision.

I.........want..........in...........my............Archer!!,!,!,

Sure looks crowded, particularly at the center of the screen where I'd think you'd want less obstruction, not more.

Where is the Round Out and Flair in the landing? I always thought Airliners come in nose High and touch down on the mains first. This looked like a 3 point landing. What do I know. I'm low time Cessna pilot

Where is the Round Out and Flair in the landing? I always thought Airliners come in nose High and touch down on the mains first. This looked like a 3 point landing. What do I know. I'm low time Cessna pilot

Go watch jetliners land, they come down short final already in a nose high attitude. Some will rotate the nose slightly higher just before touchdown, some not.

Go watch jetliners land, they come down short final already in a nose high attitude. Some will rotate the nose slightly higher just before touchdown, some not.

That's mostly true, although take a look at something without slats, such as a CRJ-200. I've never flown a CRJ, but the first time I ended up on the jumpseat of a -200 I about shat my pants on short final. :D

I was surprised to learn the HUD system is in it's own little world, independent of other instrument displays and systems on the aircraft.

One of the reasons I'm glad my office is on the Departure side of LAX. When it was on the east (Arrival) side it was easy to go into a trance watching the landings :yikes:

Sure looks crowded, particularly at the center of the screen where I'd think you'd want less obstruction, not more.

It's actually ok, real vision doesn't work quite the same way as video. You end up looking right through all that and "flip back and forth" very easily and naturally.

It's actually ok, real vision doesn't work quite the same way as video. You end up looking right through all that and "flip back and forth" very easily and naturally.
Yea my dad says it's not too bad. I think he told me Delta makes them log 8 HUD approaches each month. I'm not sure if it's each pilot or just the plane has to log the approaches to make sure the systems are alright.

That's mostly true, although take a look at something without slats, such as a CRJ-200. I've never flown a CRJ, but the first time I ended up on the jumpseat of a -200 I about shat my pants on short final. :D

So they come in nose down more like a GA aircraft?

It's a bit of a PITA in real life. I typically flip the HUD up, and "use the force" out of 1000' on visuals, if I even use it, because it does mess with my depth perception a bit on landing. I can typically make nicer landings with it up, especially at night.

In the sim, it's really bad after breaking out when doing approaches, as there's an annoying parallax effect that is compounded by wearing glasses.

It's not so bad on CatIIIA stuff with 50' DA, because there's nothing to see except the HUD until you see the lights, pull the TLs to idle and hit the ground, all at about the same time.......

So getting the same view on an SVT panel then switching to a clean window may still be preferable. The only thing I think it would be nice to have in a small HUD is AoA.

So they come in nose down more like a GA aircraft?

Yeah - it's pretty disconcerting when you see it from the jumpseat and aren't prepared. You begin to tense up and imagine all sorts of bad things until the PF finally begins the flare.

I think Captain flew the CRJ series - maybe he can expand on it. I don't know much about the airplane beyond a couple of jumpseat experiences!

So getting the same view on an SVT panel then switching to a clean window may still be preferable.

No idea what an SVT panel is, nor a "clean" window! ;)

The only thing I think it would be nice to have in a small HUD is AoA.

Our huds don't have AOA in them like the one in the vid.

SVT = synthetic vision technology (gotta throw in the gratuitous "technology" to keep Marketing happy).

SVT, Synthetic Vision Technology, a forward looking 3D eVFR view ahead with the same type data overlay and predictor indication as with the HUD.

A clean window is exactly that, a clean piece of glass with nothing to obstruct the view.;)

SVT, Synthetic Vision Technology, a forward looking 3D eVFR view ahead with the same type data overlay and predictor indication as with the HUD.

I'm not likely to see that in my career!

A clean window is exactly that, a clean piece of glass with nothing to obstruct the view.;)

That either! :eek:

I figure the next generation of airliners will incorporate SVT. We spent a hell of a lot of tax money flying the Space Shuttle creating that 3D mapping database. It seems a waste the not make use of it, but I guess until Freeflight comes to 121, it won't be a great benefit either.

Back