737 HUD Landing!

:rofl: Eventually when you can afford to fly on your own dime, you can rent a 172 and have both.:rofl::rofl:;):D

Uhh, I can afford it, in spades, now......

I just choose not to..... ;)

Yeah, that's something I find in a lot of airline pilots, only about 20% have any desire to fly GA for fun.

Pretty much.... It's fun, but not fun enough for me to commit the time, effort and cash into for fun's sake.

I'm really only interested in the practical side of it, eg: my commute, and that's even begun to wane since I get 5 weeks of vacation a year (each week is worth about 3 actual weeks off). FAR 117 also allows me to work more in less time (so I am better rested :confused: ), reducing my commute to twice per month. vs. 3-5 times before.

I would like to have something fun, like an RV-8...... Maybe when I retire......

So getting the same view on an SVT panel then switching to a clean window may still be preferable. The only thing I think it would be nice to have in a small HUD is AoA.
Just a HUD repeater on the panel is sufficient for that, and it's already in many HUD-fitted airplanes. And a decent potential flight path marker/accel caret in the HUD are things of beauty in addition to a good E-bracket for AOA on approach :D

Nauga,
whose needs are few

Wow, what a mess of a display! I guess I'm used to the HUD in the F/A-18, which seems really simple compared to F-16's and especially this 737.

Just a HUD repeater on the panel is sufficient for that, and it's already in many HUD-fitted airplanes. And a decent potential flight path marker/accel caret in the HUD are things of beauty in addition to a good E-bracket for AOA on approach :D

Nauga,
whose needs are few

In reality, that would give me everything I need since I mostly set power and judge speed, by sound. I just glance at the speed now and then to confirm, if sound and pitch don't change, nothing else has. That's one reason I always trim for every airspeed, so I don't introduce error as easily.

Wow, what a mess of a display! I guess I'm used to the HUD in the F/A-18, which seems really simple compared to F-16's and especially this 737.

They had to make it simple for the Nasal Radiators....:D

One of the reasons I'm glad my office is on the Departure side of LAX. When it was on the east (Arrival) side it was easy to go into a trance watching the landings :yikes:

There's no "departure side" anymore. For a long time, now, they depart on the inner runways (24L/25R) and arrive on the outer runways (24R/25L).

--Carlos V.

I think he meant which end of the runways he's at. The 6/7 end vs 24/25.

No HUD, but another very cool view into LAX:

In reality, that would give me everything I need since I mostly set power and judge speed, by sound. I just glance at the speed now and then to confirm, if sound and pitch don't change, nothing else has. That's one reason I always trim for every airspeed, so I don't introduce error as easily.

Maybe add a gear indicator to that HUD?

:wink2:

Funny thing was all the speeds came down just perfect with the flaps, all was normal, it just wasn't noisy enough.:rolleyes:

Never say never, but I don't think a Mooney would slow down enough on final without the gear out. But I don't want to try.

Never say never, but I don't think a Mooney would slow down enough on final without the gear out. But I don't want to try.

I had been flying around clean at 135kts for the past hour and some in holding and turbulence, that's my downwind speed already. No slowing down necessary, and like I said, it all went normal when I dropped the flaps in as usual. I was 90kts on final with no problem, and no gear horn.

Back