'70's Piper Warior less than 500 hours

david.h

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
david.h
I know of a hangar queen that has less than 500 hours on a 160 hp airframe, tapered wing. It has been hangared, covered in dust and flat tires for my 35 plus years I have seen this plane. Recent inspection shows no overt signs of mice, no significant corrosion, and suprisingly decent interior fabrics and plastics. Thoughts? Go.......

Will need hoses and a major engine inspection and a carb overhaul at the minimum.

I would imagine the radios, gryos, transponder, etc etc would need to be, ahem, updated.

Well a new engine or an overhaul is what? Vs what the cost of a good “in annual” version?

if you can have it for less than going rate for a flying one plus engine and fix ups you are good?

Guess question is can you get access to check it all over first?

I would figure new firewall forward, all new instruments. Probably overhaul fuel selector, tanks drains, and all other rubber parts. Obviously battery, and tires.

Sitting 35 years and no rodent or bird activity? I'd bet there are some nests in there, rodent urine does wonders to aluminum and steel. No rodent chewing on wiring?

Could be a real gem, for the right price, if it truly has no rodent activity or corrosion.

Go for it. It increases the supply of airplanes. Get ready to spend 100k on everything fwf, instruments, interior, flight controls, etc. But I imagine you’ll still be above water when all is said and done! Corrosion would be the only deal killer.

I’ve resurrected a few. Some good , some bad.

One in particular was on high jacks when we met after sitting there For 25 years!
We pulled cylinders, tanks , etc but found no issues. 6 years later all is well.

Oh yeah. The reason is was on jacks is that it was near the river bank.
Floods? Not if; WHEN.

Do a good lookie before buying.

FTFY ;)

Ain’t no Lyco gonna be any good after sitting for 35+ years.
You'd be surprised. If it hasn't been ground-run, and isn't parked next to the ocean or a swamp, it might be fine. Hoses will be shot, carb will leak, magneto and alternator bearings will have hardened old grease in them and they won't last long.

It's a gamble.

The currators of this machine have recently jacked it up, pulled the wheel pants and replaced the tubes and tires and serviced the bearings. They rotated the prop 45° to facilitate the tow bar and manually tugged it three houses down to a hangar to be assessed. They are doing seafoam into the crank case and blowing it into the upper vent area to mist the cam shaft before they try to rotate it further, but the initial 45° was not terribly "rusty". It was pretty smooth. All plugs are removed and the jugs are being soaked to loosen the rings prior to further rotation. Hoping to get some life out of the engine but at least the airframe is super low time good bones on this bird. Hope it sees the sky again.

If it’s been sitting for 35+ years it’s likely that Calendar Time compliance with the Crank AD ( SB 505) , C& N oil pump and others are required. As has been said; I have/ would pull all cylinders and accessories. A failed impulse coupling could easily result in an expensive failure.
I’m sure the currators want to biggest buck for the least amount of bucks going into it. Operating an aircraft with a series of minor problems can be frustrating and lead to lack of use.

If it’s been sitting for 35+ years it’s likely that Calendar Time compliance with the Crank AD ( SB 505) , C& N oil pump and others are required. As has been said; I have/ would pull all cylinders and accessories. A failed impulse coupling could easily result in an expensive failure.
I’m sure the currators want to biggest buck for the least amount of bucks going into it. Operating an aircraft with a series of minor problems can be frustrating and lead to lack of use.
Yes, very good point. 35+ years with no AD checks means a whole lot of stuff is not legally airworthy. A LOT of stuff. There is a whole bunch of labor time that needs to go into that airplane and, at least for the engine, it might be cheaper to just replace it. The magnetos alone are guaranteed to have multiple ADs on them.

The radios will be old stuff. All the plastics in them suffer with age, heat and cold, so the circuitry suffers. They'll have mechanical switches for most of the controls, and those switches will be oxidized. More labor time that might be better spent on a new stack.

Even the upholstery suffers with age. It's all plastics, too. The instruments will all have dried-up lube in them and they won't work right.

Old airplanes are so much fun. There is no such thing as a cheap old airplane.

.... There is no such thing as a cheap old airplane.

but there are cheap old pilots.

(I know, doesn't really add to the thread, but it immediately came to mind when I read your post... but I'm not saying you are a cheap old pilot)

Back