6Y9 Improvements

Joanne comes to mind.

Oops. sincerely didn't mean to get anyone in trouble or anything. I saw the fire extinguishers and wondered why there were so many of them in the shed!

I was three more mosquito bites and one more beer away from starting a campfire myself, and I didn't have the extinguisher handy that others did :eek: Now, suddenly, glad I didn't. I guess Smokey was right.

Seriously, I'm such a newbie that my vote hardly counts. But I can't say enough good things about what the Fredricks have done and are doing.

p
Because the fire truck could not be there this year I had them leave them because of re fueling the helicopter and if there was an issue with a plane, not for camp fires . But thanks for at least thinking about having one at the scene. I equated the fire position on the field like building a fire on someones front lawn, also the use of gas means I'll be digging the dirt out ,replacing it , replanting, as nothing will grown there now for years.
I guess not a huge deal,just more work.:dunno:

Because the fire truck could not be there this year I had them leave them because of re fueling the helicopter and if there was an issue with a plane, not for camp fires . But thanks for at least thinking about having one at the scene. I equated the fire position on the field like building a fire on someones front lawn, also the use of gas means I'll be digging the dirt out ,replacing it , replanting, as nothing will grown there now for years.
I guess not a huge deal,just more work.:dunno:

I wasn't awake but I'm still sorry that we made more work for you!

I'm also dissapointed there was only $40 in the donation box, as I know where it came from. Camping anywhere else would have cost at least $10 a night with the same amenities (except being able to camp next to the airplane) So I'm laying out the guilt trip to anyone who didn't put a $20 in the box! (you know who you are... come on send in a $20)

Missa

Last edited:
I would have tried to dissuade the arsonists had I been conscious.
I appreciate that!! Funny!
I think next year( because we should have more new people), maybe we will have a general orientation or just a print out of,what's going on ,hand out maps of the vast
metropolis, ,questions /answers , rules or conduct guidelines, just for the safety of people, airfield, and aircraft. Simple, nothing elaborate,hey, it's Sidnaw for Murphy's sake.:cornut:

Brad -

I wasn't there this year so i can't tell if my opinion counts, but I think a good addition to the field would be some permanent tie downs. We all bring stakes and whatnot but not everyone flies like us.

And I think that you should try to find a way to make sure all the people who have cabins in the area know there is an airport there. Perhaps some of them have a 182 sitting at home and they just don't realize that they could land at Sidnaw, tie down, and then make their way to camp for the week.
Good input Tony.
There are two cables /w tail tiedown loops marked on the field with orange cones. I have another set of screw in tie downs in the pilot shack, most of the time thats enough other than the Fly-In.
We have one pilot who came in over the weekend and walked the field on Sat. ,then flew his 210 in late on Monday, he may want to build a hanger there, and so it starts:fcross:.

I'm also dissapointed there was only $40 in the donation box, as I know where it came from. Camping anywhere else would have cost at least $10 a night with the same amenities (except being able to camp next to the airplane) So I'm laying out the guilt trip to anyone who didn't put a $20 in the box! (you know who you are... come on send in a $20)

Missa
Well, one of the guys I gave a ride to wanted to slip me a few bucks, but I told him I couldn't take it, but that if he wanted to, he could give it to the airport, and Diz said that he did. Nice guy, too.

And Brad, sorry about the fire pit. Didn't realize that the fuel would prevent future grass growth. Figured it would fill in naturally in the spring. :loco:

Missa

Guilt? No guilt here...hard to put something in when one doesn't even see a box sitting there or told its there.

Hey, getting someone who would build a hangar at 6Y9 would be awesome, especially if that meant he'd bring in some recurring revenue for the airport, however small.

With as much work goes into putting this on, I don't think we want to do this once a month. Maybe if Mom's opens up again we do a once a month thing there. But remember we only have 6 months a year to do this, and a few of those get eaten up by other things.

Well ,maybe Ed jumped the gun here a little.
Diz and I discussed this and here's what we came up with.

We are up there every couple of weeks anyway, we can provide the grill and the airfield, tent's , and so on.
How much food ? Everybody brings something,pot luck of sorts.
Hopefully the restuarant opens and it simplifies things down the road.
June?
July?
Aug?
6Y9 Fly In Labor Day
Sep?
Oct?
Let's have the input.

I appreciate that!! Funny!
I think next year( because we should have more new people), maybe we will have a general orientation or just a print out of,what's going on ,hand out maps of the vast
metropolis, ,questions /answers , rules or conduct guidelines, just for the safety of people, airfield, and aircraft. Simple, nothing elaborate,hey, it's Sidnaw for Murphy's sake.:cornut:

Brad, great idea...as a newbie, what would have been helpful is to know that info before even leaving home...especially, is there a place to purchase meals throughout the weekend and if so, when & where?...schedule of annual events like going to Hoppy's in the evening including the hayride to Hoppy's Saturday night. This can be helpful so that one knows what food to bring if any, etc.

Thank you & Diz so much for all your hospitality!...and great to have the opportunity to meet you and everyone else we hadn't met in person until last weekend.

Guilt? No guilt here...hard to put something in when one doesn't even see a box sitting there or told its there.

Durring the fly-in lunch it was on the table next to the lady taking money for food and selling Tee's. After that it was on the table in the pilot shack.

Now you know for next year... and for this year if you missed it in Scott's post:

Send the money to this place and earmark it for the airport.

Southern Houghton County Airport and Heritage Association (or for short S.H.C.A.H.A.)
is the name of the Non-Profit 501 (c)3 corp.(ID#74-3159449 ) that holds and operates Prickett Grooms Airfield and the Museum in Sidnaw.
S.H.C.A.H.A.
7370 Broadmoor Ave S.E.
Caledonia, Mi. 49316

Brad, I can't see myself coming up for anything but the Labor Day fly-in due to my distance and the fact that I want to come and see all my friends at the same time. That said, if you can get a group together whenever you're up there with enough publication of it in advance, I think it would be great. Posting it on the "Cool Places to Fly" and asking people to post it in their local airports and flying clubs I think would help get the word out.

The big thing would be making sure it doesn't create too much extra work for you and Diz. The amount of work that goes into the Labor Day fly-in I know is huge, so I think it would be key to making sure that what you did was pretty low-effort.

So that said, I think it's a great idea! :)

Well, one of the guys I gave a ride to wanted to slip me a few bucks, but I told him I couldn't take it, but that if he wanted to, he could give it to the airport, and Diz said that he did. Nice guy, too.

And Brad, sorry about the fire pit. Didn't realize that the fuel would prevent future grass growth. Figured it would fill in naturally in the spring. :loco:
Normally it would but the gas kills the roots. It's also sand, and we have no sprinklers or irrigation, heck we got no electricity to run em anyway.
I'll fix it ,not a huge deal, I'm working on another spot that was made by a snowmobile that leaked gas and burned up also.
Also don't want to set a precedent as hey, they had a fire there ,I want one over here ,and so on.
We can do it,,We can build (grow)it better,I have the technology:yes:

Hey Everybody STOP this guilt thing about donations!!!!!!
I freely chose to buy and operate this Airfield, NO ONE should feel that they have to give money if they don't want to or can't.
I understand the effort and cost involved in getting to 6Y9.
I AM EXTREMELY GRATEFUL to all of you that made it this year, who tried(Adam), and all that have made it in past years. That is what drives me to do what has been done at the field.
All that being said ,money helps, if you are so moved to donate, that's great.No one is or should be obligated to . We want everyone to come and join the experience of 6Y9.
Be assured that we (the Fredericks or anyone else) make or take nothing from the Airfield or Museum we operate through S.H.C.A.H.A. other than the satifaction that we are saving history, hopefully helping the community, and give something back to GA .
I am truly blessed to be able to make a small difference in aviation, something that had been a dream for so many years. With the help of my son Ed I became a pilot, with all of you I have many new friends, what could be better than that! ( I know Ed, having the Swedish Bikini Ski Team as the grounds crew at 6Y9):rolleyes2:

Thanks for your efforts Brad -- I haven't been there since 2007 but I hear it gets better and better each year. It's just a little more costly for me now since I moved further away. That said -- I hope to be there in 2010.

Hey Everybody STOP this guilt thing about donations!!!!!!

Geesh... Sorry :dunno: just trying to help. I was just a little dissapointed to hear there was only $40 in the box knowing how much we all love it there and want to see it continue. We are all ususally so upset by the dissapearance of airports, this one was brought back by hard work & $$. Eveyone who was at the Fly-in there benifits from it being open and the wonderful work you do all year. You payout/work harder on it then anyone. Least eveyone who camped there could do was put a $20 in the box, any campground would charge at least that. We all can afford to fly airplanes what's $20 to each of us to make sure the feild stays around for a while and we get to come back next year. I sure got $20 worth of a feild to pitch a tent in, clean place to potty with antibactiral stuff set out, a clean shower and more then $20 worth of fun while there.

Missa

Hey Everybody STOP this guilt thing about donations!!!!!!:rolleyes2:

Awww, Brad, what's wrong with a little guilt? I'm catholic, I was born with guilt, I live for quilt, it's good for the soul! B)

I was planning on putting some money in the box, actually I was going to get a T-shirt too, but I got distracted by too much fun!!!

Well, there is always next year.:idea::D:D:D

Barb

Missa
I felt the same way after the Grand Reopening. A reopening of a small grass GA home and the donation box had mostly air in it! I'm posting this here to challenge every one of you to put up. What the Fredricks have done is create a national treasure.

I acknowledge that people may keep their donations more private than a public donation box yet Brad's recent thread indicates not enough are contributing. To be clear, I'm saying that was my interpretation of that thread. I'm not presuming to say that Brad had that intention.

I'm sending $50 to their org. Step up and match it. Make it anonymous if you prefer but just do it.

I can't see the TERPS allowing a GPS approach in there, but if it were doable... John? :)

Sure it would...in fact it does to much less hospitable places that a grass strip in the UP of MI. Request it if ya really want it. It is a public use airport afterall.

I would only request one if I get to name the approach fixes. :D

Back