6Y9 Improvements

gprellwitz

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Grant Prellwitz
While at the Flyin this year, I had a chance to talk with Frank Pentii, one of the township trustee, and he seemed genuinely interested in what could be done to make both the event and the airport in general even better and more inviting to pilots. He asked me to start a list that they could pick off a little at a time. This is my effort to start such a list.

Let me preface it by saying that what has already been done is just AWESOME!

There were bicycles in the pilot shack when we were there. I hope that they're there whenever the airport's open, because that's great. Unfortunately, there are "issues" with Trails End and cows, and it's a bit of a hike down to Hoppy's, though Liz actually ran it on Saturday! So maybe some form of motorized transport, either a crew car or a couple of 4-wheelers?

I missed having the art & craft fair this year. I understand that they held it a couple of weeks ago.

The ability to get weather on the field would be appreciated. That could be anything from a phone to DTN, and maybe even an automated AWOS/ASOS. There aren't many reporting stations in the area, so that could help many. (Okay, I admit it's a wish list! :)) Of course, along with that, electricity to the pilot shack would be nice. (Hey, there is a pilot shack! That is a nice amenity! :yes: and thank you!)

A small reserve of fuel (MoGas and 100LL) might be nice. There are a lot of pros & cons to that, though. The market would be those extremely low on fuel or those flying ultralights/bush planes. It's obviously never going to be the fuel stop of choice for larger/faster planes. Maybe a clear taxiway to the gas station for MoGas, and longer hoses so the likes of Greg can refuel?

I can't see the TERPS allowing a GPS approach in there, but if it were doable... John? :)

I think that the officials have already requested that the windsock remain up year round. Try to get them to provide a new one annually.

Runway lights, but not until it's at it's final length. Perhaps something solar powered that can be affixed to the yellow cones?

Remove the pole on the approach end of 10.

A (guard) tower! :cornut: (For those who didn't know, Sidnaw used to house POWs during WWII, and had a guard tower.)

A CFI to teach UPers to fly!

REOPEN MOM'S! :)

Note that paving is not on the list! :no:

Last edited:
First, I cannot extend a sufficient thank you to the Fredericks for their hospitality. The field is already wonderful. I will therefore only give any recommendations based on trying to assist them to make their airport better.

The first and foremost is a phone on the field. If someone has an emergency or breaks down, right now I can't see what they would do. Perhaps there is one somewhere in the town, but if you don't know your way around it can be daunting.

The second in my own view is on-field wx. Nothing is more important to pilots.

My thoughts, for what they are worth. I want to stress that 6Y9 is fine as-is. However, if anyone wants to improve it those are the things I think are the most important.

IIRC there is an actual phone booth outside of what used to be Mom's. I cannot speak for the condition of the phone contained therein.

I guess the fire flies I trained this summer to sit on the cones didn't work out;)
I'll get in touch with Frank Pentii, township trustee, this is interesting that they want to help now . Frank is a great guy, the biggest problem is money,the township has none.

I'm working with Wisconsin Electric on the pole being moved, first quote was $24,000, that's not do-able,in about 3 weeks they are going to put an orange ball on the guy wire, and they were looking into "other" things.

Light's ,I've checked into, solar very expensive,wired lights also expensive + a monthly electric bill, the Airfield is run on hundreds of dollars a years, not thousands or more.
Electric at the pilot's shack,$26 base per month + what you use ,again$100's not $1,000's

Motor transportation?, insurance, liability,license plates,upkeep etc. again hundreds not thousands. Bicycles are there year round, with foot pump for the tires, any bicycle upgrade, or additions are accepted and appreciated.

Someone may be re opening Mom's Kitchen:fcross:

Art's and Craft's were there but over at the museum, they had a very poor turnout and the exhibitors were upset, the organizers should have done the street fair approach as in the past as no one knew they were there.
They did not communicate with us.

Fuel, I brought 50 gals of 100 LL for the Helicopter to use, the 10 5gal. cans are set aside for 100 LL only, empty clean new cans for Mo Gas would be a welcome donation, users could walk to Tom's to get fresh fuel, I can provide a ladder for the high wingers.

Michigan MDOT is on a very tight budget, they have given me two new ones in 5 year's, donation's accepted. $60-$70 per sock

Weather on the field would be nice, we would need equipment, monthly fee, electricity, currently un affordable.

Again 6Y9 is operated by a non profit corp, the State and County have no desire to help and the Township has no money as the tax base is small,aprox 300 people, the main property holder in Duncan Township is the US Forest Service with 82 % of the land and pay zero in taxes, well re phrase they pay a stumpage on the trees harvested but that has been re directed ,by force, to go back to the county(refer to beginning of this statement).

Yep ,we'll keep on working on stuff ,but it's a long road.
And other than the Fly-In with 26 aircraft in, we only showed 15 for the whole rest of the season. Tough to make a case for public money to be spent. Fed's can provide matching funds for public use Airport's but the look heavily on use, in which we are very light.

Sorry I don't sound more possitive, but it's quite amazing where we're at as we are so much better than when the State owned it just a few shot years ago.
The solution is more traffic, see you there:thumbsup:
Keep the idea's coming.

Again, thank you for the wonderful setting. Please do not regard this as anything approaching complaint. I will once again point out the phone issue. If Pete is right and there is a functional phone booth a laminated sign to that effect would be a good idea. If a pilot uses the strip for an emergency, he or she will be as stuck as stuck gets without a telephone of some sort.

Last edited:
Thanks, Brad! And I want to stress that this thread is not meant in any way to express discontent with what you've done, and I fully understand having limited resources. I think that Frank was looking for a list of "nice-to-haves" that can be turned to if a windfall comes their way.

I didn't know that the craft fair was down by the museum! :( I'd have headed over there!

OK, the best improvement would be the ability to get weather, if not on-feild a short walk/bike ride would be fine. If the township could make sure to keep a pay phone in working condition somewhere in town then we can at least get weather forcasts from WX breif. With no cell coverage, access to a working pay phone is an important improvement. If the pay phone works a map to it's location in the pilots shack would be a nice add.

From the perspecitve of a non-flyin visit a map to the local eating establishments and hours would be nice to have in the pilots shack. The bikes are good but only if you know where to go.

Missa

The problem with the pay phone idea is that they basically obsolete. Pay phones are big money losers for the phone companies and many will not even allow them any longer. The remaining ones tend to be subsidized by the owner of the location in which it is installed.

I am not sure what more can really be done to the place until traffic starts to pick up. I do think it is up to us to help support the airport by flying in, donations, etc.

Also what is wrong with the solar powered AWOS I donated? ;)

The problem with the pay phone idea is that they basically obsolete. Pay phones are big money losers for the phone companies and many will not even allow them any longer. The remaining ones tend to be subsidized by the owner of the location in which it is installed.

That is why if the township wanted to help out, the best way may be to ensure that there is a subsidied payphone in working order in town somewhere. I'm not sure how much it would cost but with the total lack of cell phone covrage in the area it's probally the single most imporant improvement. And it could be billed as not just for the airport but general public as well.

Grant ,no no no, there is no offense taken as I have a huge wish list of my own which includes all of your's and more.
It just boils down to $$$$$$$
We had a study done on what we could do to get Federal money ,and 4 years ago it would be approx $425,000 to get it to the standards of the Fed's BEFORE they would put in matching funds.
I just need to win the lottery, big time:yes::yes::yes::yes::yes:
Diz has put the kibosh on my spending habit's like the 20k for the tractor, 14k for the Dozer,5k for the pilot shack,$500 + each season for fuel, even more fore belt's ,grease,oil changes, blades, part's etc. This does not include the purchase price of the Airfield, which was my donation to S.H.C.A.H.A. to get this all started.
Wow ,now I can see why she's cutting me back, I've only flown up there 6 times this season.
She knows I'm :loco::yes:
Let's not discuss this further or reality will set in, I'll come to my sense's and give up my folly.:thumbsup:

You've been doing a fine job. I think the purpose of this thread is simple. If the status quo remains, we're all good. If you find the dollars for improvements, you now have a pilot's-eye view of priorities. We are only trying to help in some fashion (preferably one that doesn't require actual work).

Rather than subsidizing a payphone, why don't we yell at Scott to get the cellular networks to put up a cell phone tower near the airport? That would be far more useful to everyone in the surrounding area.

Also, with the number of 496s that people have these days, why do you need to call to get a briefing? I can't see why anyone should have had problems getting weather, given the number of 496s with weather that I know were there. The old Indian weather rock and wind sock seem to do the job just fine for local weather (especially if you have someone on a handheld to tell you the wind a couple miles out). If a grant could be provided to throw up an ASOS/AWOS given the lack of one in the area, that would be good, but otherwise I can't see it being worthwhile.

A car is just as useless as a bike if you don't know where to go, you just get less exercise going in the wrong direction. So to that effect, maybe having some little printouts with directions to local establishments would be helpful. Plus, it's cheap so it falls within the budget.

For weather, it's only 30 miles to LNL and they have a WSI computer there. Or if you are eastbound, it's only 50ish miles to SAW and they have a weather computer there as well. You are probably going to need fuel to get wherever you are going, and it's not like Obama is ever coming to LNL or SAW last minute for you to get busted by a TFR.

It's what I do every time I leave.

We can provide a map ,but both business's in town you can see from the airport, Sidnaw Minimart and Trails End.
Would anyone ride a bike to Hoppys 9mi. or the Hardwood Steak House 10 mi.one way then ride back? Just wondering?
Good input, a simple fix ,map with directions it is.

True what everyone is saying about wx, but I still think the phone issue is number 1. If you have any problems and can't get a call out you could be there quite some time.

If you have any serious problems and are stuck there alone, you could ask just about anyone in town for help. Almost every time someone lands there, at least one person comes out to see who came in. I've never had to walk/bike to the cabin, because every time I've come in someone has met me there. Some times I've known who they were, some times I have not.

I the Airfield is run on hundreds of dollars a years, not thousands or more.

GET OUTTAHERE! Brad you mean the entire Budget for 6Y9er us under $1000. That means the Wings FLYBQ raises 10%+ of the budget for 6Y9er? The fuel for the tractor has to cost more than that.

I can't recall is there a donation jar in the pilot shack? Not that 15 extra planes would raise any $$ Do you make anything from the flyin? And Do guys like the Helo pilot who charged for rides make a donation to the field. They should.

... it's not like Obama is ever coming to LNL or SAW last minute for you to get busted by a TFR.

Now THAT would be something. A 30 nm Presidential TFR that affects only one airport.

I can't recall is there a donation jar in the pilot shack?
Send the money to this place and earmark it for the airport.

Southern Houghton County Airport and Heritage Association (or for short S.H.C.A.H.A.)
is the name of the Non-Profit 501 (c)3 corp.(ID#74-3159449 ) that holds and operates Prickett Grooms Airfield and the Museum in Sidnaw.
S.H.C.A.H.A.
7370 Broadmoor Ave S.E.
Caledonia, Mi. 49316
1 616 554 8860 PH.
1 616 554 8861 Fax

IMHO, 6Y9 is great for what it is, and anything that is added will just be icing on the cake.

As for emergencies, since we had the young'n and didn't make it out to Hoppy's (sp?), we discovered that many of the residents know you can get a cell signal if you sit on the north steps of the school building. Oddly, it doesn't work on the south steps 50 feet away. Anyway, for next year, if you need to make a call, know that it seems to work from there.

About the only thing I can think might be a nice addition to the fly in would be a fire pit of some sort. I was leery of starting one in the feild given the dry looking grass, but I think a camp fire would have put a nice cap on the cooling night - I know some of the late revelers agree on this point ;). Though not having a fire pit won't keep me away next year.

IMHO, 6Y9 is great for what it is, and anything that is added will just be icing on the cake.

As for emergencies, since we had the young'n and didn't make it out to Hoppy's (sp?), we discovered that many of the residents know you can get a cell signal if you sit on the north steps of the school building. Oddly, it doesn't work on the south steps 50 feet away. Anyway, for next year, if you need to make a call, know that it seems to work from there.
When I get home, I'll need to post pictures of people using the phone dead tree at the Fredericks compound!
About the only thing I can think might be a nice addition to the fly in would be a fire pit of some sort. I was leery of starting one in the feild given the dry looking grass, but I think a camp fire would have put a nice cap on the cooling night - I know some of the late revelers agree on this point ;). Though not having a fire pit won't keep me away next year.
It's been requested that in the future fires only be started in the fire pit at the compound, and I intend to respect that. I will note that we made a point to pull the fire-department provided extinguishers out of the pilot shack before any conflagration was started, and that locals said that this was the first nice weather they've had for much of the summer, so we didn't think that things were too dry.

GET OUTTAHERE! Brad you mean the entire Budget for 6Y9er us under $1000. That means the Wings FLYBQ raises 10%+ of the budget for 6Y9er? The fuel for the tractor has to cost more than that.

I can't recall is there a donation jar in the pilot shack? Not that 15 extra planes would raise any $$ Do you make anything from the flyin? And Do guys like the Helo pilot who charged for rides make a donation to the field. They should.

We are always in the red.

Exactly my thoughts. This is a thread about improvements, so I'll just say that I don't think any improvements are needed. It doesn't need to become another small well-equipped airport; I like it the way it is.

-Felix

The discussions at breakfast on Sunday was that if there were a fire, that they would perfer it to be at the Fredrick compound not the airfeild due to the proxminity to lots of expensive aircraft etc.

I'm not sure anyone would have been around the Fredrick compund while the rest of us were at hoppy's and what they may have thought about you having a fire there while they were out... but maybe something to ask about next year if you have the little one and don't want to go to hoppy's.

Missa

Dang, I just realized that I didn't have a phone on my list! It definitely was in my thoughts! If the phone at Mom's is still there and functioning, a map to it would be a good alternative.

We will continue to make improvements as we are able.
I'm not good at begging so I don't.
Yes Adam the budget is less than $1000, and there has been a donation box there for three years. Adam thank you for what you've sent.
We have sporadically recieved from a hand full of change to a hundred dollar bill ( twice ,both from my cousin) I won't mention other names for privacy, we are grateful to all who have donated.
Yes Don and Julie/ Helicopter( oops names), donated this year thank you to them, they loved it and signed up for next year already.
And there was I think about $40 in the box. Some other money handed to us by individuals, THANK YOU.
The cook out was better this year it brought in some, last years was break even so that was good. Last year we bought the port- a -john with the money we made.
We sold very few tee shirts and caps this year ,we make a little on that.
We like pilots to buy and wear them as it gives us a little revenue and some free advertising.
All in all it's fine, I subsidize the rest as I use it the most.
As you can see we do this for the love of aviation, not for the money or glory, it's just a lot of work.:loco: To me the reward is seeing those planes come in at the Fly-In, that's why on some of the other posts I was disapointed to hear some of the "family" could not make it.
Anyone wishing to contribute would be great, but I'm going to do this anyway,I love it ,it's maybe my worldly burden so to speak.
" If I mow it, they will come" , so I do , keep flying in ,it makes my day.:thumbsup:

What happened to the Awos? No sun in the UP?

I was thinking of everyone on Sunday as I flew directly over at FL340 on my way to MSP then home.

What happened to the Awos? No sun in the UP?

I was thinking of everyone on Sunday as I flew directly over at FL340 on my way to MSP then home.
So that was you up there goofing up our perfect sky with your contrail, Oh ,and thanks for not dropping one of those blue meteors:thumbsup:

It's interesting that the township now wants to help out. IIRC, didn't Brad have to go to the neighboring township to get their help to get the airport from the state? If you look at the plaque in the pilot shack, the township listed on it is actually NOT the township where the airport property actually lies.

As far as 'improvements', I don't know that anything will get more people to stop in there than already do, other than word-of-mouth. You won't be able to get fuel in there other than Tommy's mogas, wx wouldn't be used enough to justify the cost of installation and upkeep, on-field phone and electricity also wouldn't justify the cost.

Access to a landline phone would be handy, though - even if it's just getting the payphone by mom's operational again, or asking Tommy or the Trails End folks if pilots can come use their phone toll free weather (800-WX-BRIEF), along with a map in the shack to the phone locations. Heck even a "Here are the areas where your cell phone might work", with highlighted areas of where to stand on the airport property.

Unfortunately, due to the airport's location, it is never going to be a high-traffic airport, so pumping it full of technology wouldn't be a wise investment. If I could talk Rachel into buying Mom's and I could open a 'Guided Bear Hunt' and '4-Wheeler Excursion' business, traffic MIGHT pick up a bit, but until that Lotto ticket comes through, it will remain as it is - darn near perfect. ;)

I'm with Chris - I can't really see why people think it needs "improving." And since everyone and their dog owns a 496 these days (except for me, so I borrow one from someone who does own one), that handles all your WX concerns far better than Lockheed does.

I can't say I see a reason to "grow" Sidnaw. That's not to say that more people shouldn't come (they should), but there are so few places you can go anymore where you have the opportunity to isolate yourself from the rest of civilization and just enjoy being amongst friends for a few days. Ain't got no TV, ain't got no cell phone, and I like it that way, thank you.

The best thing I could think of would be to try to figure out how to get the word out more about Sidnaw and what a great place it is. To me, it seems a great getaway from a number of fairly local areas. If I lived closer, I'd definitely want to go up there more often.

I'm with Chris - I can't really see why people think it needs "improving." And since everyone and their dog owns a 496 these days (except for me, so I borrow one from someone who does own one), that handles all your WX concerns far better than Lockheed does.
We own a 496. However, the plane we were flying has no power source, and our batteries were dead by the time we left Sunday. On top of that, it's not a "legal" briefing, and isn't going to save your bacon in case of a TFR bust. Our next stop after leaving 6Y9 was Adams County, WI.

I can't say I see a reason to "grow" Sidnaw. That's not to say that more people shouldn't come (they should), but there are so few places you can go anymore where you have the opportunity to isolate yourself from the rest of civilization and just enjoy being amongst friends for a few days. Ain't got no TV, ain't got no cell phone, and I like it that way, thank you.

The best thing I could think of would be to try to figure out how to get the word out more about Sidnaw and what a great place it is. To me, it seems a great getaway from a number of fairly local areas. If I lived closer, I'd definitely want to go up there more often.

You can't see why it needs improving

'cause you weren't there

'nuff said.

I do the old fashioned WX briefs when I am there. I look to sky, take off if it is VMC, look around and then call flight watch on 122.0 for my brief. I am not worried about TFRs for the first part of the flight. There is just not a lot of reasons for a VIP one. If it is a forest fire one we would be seeing smoke.

I think the biggest area that could be improved is us using it more. I am just as guilty as the next person of not making a run up there before Labor Day and just checking things out. Even if it is just for an ice cream cone.

I do the old fashioned WX briefs when I am there. I look to sky, take off if it is VMC, look around and then call flight watch on 122.0 for my brief. I am not worried about TFRs for the first part of the flight. There is just not a lot of reasons for a VIP one. If it is a forest fire one we would be seeing smoke.
Actually, we did call flight service while airborne to get any TFRs. And it's pretty unlikely that there'll be a security TFR over the Sidnaw area, and a fire-fighting one will be pretty obvious due to the smoke. That said, if there was a TFR, they'd nail you for busting it.

First and foremost, 6Y9 is excellent as is, a nearly unanimous conclusion of the pilots. However, not everyone has a 496 (I didn't until very recently) and wx is pivotal for pilot activities. Heck, I just wanted to call my spouse and let her know I'd landed safely. Hence something denoting the location of a working telephone seems like a reasonable thing to point out if the Fredericks seek an airport improvement project.

I have yet to make it to 6Y9 and so have no say but allow me to wonder out loud.

Since power is needed so seldom what about a portable generator and maybe a UPS style line conditioner?

If cell phone coverage is close (I'm not sure how far the school is) what about a real antenna on a pole with a repeater (Scott?).

All that is hundreds of $.
Joe

I have yet to make it to 6Y9 and so have no say but allow me to wonder out loud.

Since power is needed so seldom what about a portable generator and maybe a UPS style line conditioner?

If cell phone coverage is close (I'm not sure how far the school is) what about a real antenna on a pole with a repeater (Scott?).

Joe

The school is at the end on the runway, but not all phones worked there.

Joe

The school is at the end on the runway, but not all phones worked there.

I got enough signal at the tail of my plane to get onto PoA on Friday evening. I think there is signal there, it's just a matter of identifying the good 'zones'.

Back