6Y9 2023 Fly in/camp out

Thread hijack, but where in southern Indiana? I’m by Evansville.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep we’re neighbors of sorts. I‘m based at KHNB, not far from Evansville. I trained out of I91 at Boonville years ago. I figure if I can fly in and out of there, I should be able to do 6Y9 too.

So what I'm hearing is:
Comanche > Mooney.

For the first 1/2 mile, yes. ;)

I do love the Mooney - But I also love the Comanche line, and you know how I lusted after a Twin Comanche for the longest time. If circumstances hadn't dropped the Mooney in my lap, a Comanche (Twin or 250/260) would probably be what I'd have now.

What are the chances of actually seeing an aurora at this fly-in? I have never seen one, but southern Indiana is usually too far south.
I only recall seeing them there once out of... I dunno, maybe 8 trips up there now? 2016. But that one time was spectacular.

For the first 1/2 mile, yes. ;)

I do love the Mooney - But I also love the Comanche line, and you know how I lusted after a Twin Comanche for the longest time. If circumstances hadn't dropped the Mooney in my lap, a Comanche (Twin or 250/260) would probably be what I'd have now.

I only recall seeing them there once out of... I dunno, maybe 8 trips up there now? 2016. But that one time was spectacular.

It was real and it was spectacular! We caught one in 2019 (I think) that extended so far south we were looking straight up at it.

Who has the photo of the Aurora from last year? It was interesting. To the eye it was sort of a nebulous green glow on the horizon but to the camera it looked quite stunning.

Awesome pictures, especially the 3rd one. Dont see the reds that often, and seldom at that attitude.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

We’re planning it! As the previous two years we’ll be in the RV40, planning all 5 of us.

I'm getting asked by some people on the attendee list if other people not on the attendee list are coming. I don't have all the answers.

So if you are coming are you signing up?

Sorry. I can't think more than about a week ahead. Hard to believe this is less than a month away. I'm on the list now.

Last edited:
I flew my Mooney in there once, it was a non-event. When I had the Mooney that is. Since I don't I don't think I'm coming, sorry. Sidney is roughly as far from me as Nova Scotia.

Bout the same distance ce for me!

It's that "just get them a degree from Ohio State" math being implemented.

460nm, 790nm. Yeah, pretty much the same thing.

Bout the same distance ce for me!

Some of us have jobs. And Ed is correct, Nova Scotia is quite a bit farther. Sidnaw is still far too far to do in a day without a fast airplane, of which I am currently bereft.

Pics from last year are up on the website...

...and speaking of last year, we had the most ever sign up on the website, more couples than ever, more posts on PoA, most sand hill cranes, most northern lights (3 evenings), most scary moments (PLEASE DO NOT REPEAT OR TRY TO OUTDO!), and except for the winds, the best weather ever for the whole weekend, IMO and I've been to every one.

Looking forward to seeing everyone again. Hopefully arrivals and departures will be much calmer this year...you know who you are, don't try to give me heart failure. ;)

Some of us have jobs. And Ed is correct, Nova Scotia is quite a bit farther. Sidnaw is still far too far to do in a day without a fast airplane, of which I am currently bereft.
I do realize the earlier school starts have made it more difficult for you to make the trip.

Hoping to some time! This year we will be traveling on that weekend with family.

Thanks for asking, it would be great seeing you all. Plus I heard there are bourbon shots on and invof arpt.

Everything okay, Tim?
Yeah, opened tapatalk yesterday and saw an unsent comment, so I sent it. Turned out to be a duplicate. I said to myself, "self that looked stupid".

Hoping to some time! This year we will be traveling on that weekend with family.

Thanks for asking, it would be great seeing you all. Plus I heard there are bourbon shots on and invof arpt.
I am hoping you do to, you would really like it there!

Well guys and gals, hard post to type. Jeannette had both knees scoped in July and her recovery hasn't gone that well. She started PT last week and her therapist really doesn't want a gap in her therapy, so I made the call to cancel out trip to the UP this year. We are going to miss everyone, I won't name names because I am sure to leave someone out. We were even planning to spend another 10 or so days in the UP which is something we have wanted to do for quite a while. Good news is that the trip is planned, so most of the hard work is already done, just need to change the dates. Don't have too ,uch fun without us, but do be safe out there.

Can we put the date as part of the title?

Back