6Y9 2022 Fly in/Camp in

Alright - I'm about as in as I can be. I told the sailors GFY and have booked 2 airplanes. The one I want to bring (Plan A) is VFR only so it'll be a bit sensitive to the weather. If weather is bad I'll bring the Plan B plane.

I tried to do some research - looks like this is full off-grid camping? (no hotel/elec/sewer/etc)? Anything else to consider here?

As usual, my partner in the airplane grabbed it for Labor Day weekend. I'm also still really iffy on getting my plane in and out of there fully loaded...
I'm happy to provide rides but am quite a lot more weight sensitive in the "Plan A" plane.

We'll be there with the pup. Probably a day trip.
Tentative - home airport may be closed. I considered taking off and landing from the road, but probably a bad idea. NOTAM dates to be released soon.

Alright - I'm about as in as I can be. I told the sailors GFY and have booked 2 airplanes. The one I want to bring (Plan A) is VFR only so it'll be a bit sensitive to the weather. If weather is bad I'll bring the Plan B plane.

I tried to do some research - looks like this is full off-grid camping? (no hotel/elec/sewer/etc)? Anything else to consider here?

I'm happy to provide rides but am quite a lot more weight sensitive in the "Plan A" plane.

Over at the school at the west end of the field we have electricity for charging devices and a shower. Iffin you get on a computer and check out http://6y9.sidnaw.org/events.php and go through some of the pictures from past events you'll see it's not really off grid. We all tend to hang out in the school after the shut down the grill for the day.

If I can get out of there...

While we have the "same" airplane, mine weighs 31% more than yours at MTOW up to around around 51% more empty, so my takeoff speed is significantly higher and I'll eat up a lot more runway. Anything less than 2500 paved is pretty sketchy for me.

Today, at MGTOW with no wind on grass, my takeoff distance over a 50' obstacle would be 3000 feet. From the threshold to the biggest trees at 6Y9 is a little under 3300 feet, and those big trees are higher than 50 feet I think, not to mention that there are shorter obstacles closer in. Using over 90% of the available space with book numbers... Sorry, that's too close.

IMG_54192252F816-1.jpeg
If I can be at 50 feet by the end of the runway, I'll do it (this has less to do with the runway than the fact that I want a 20% margin, it's just a convenient reference)... But that requires a 15 knot headwind or a 400 pound weight reduction, or some combination thereof. With my family and bags, I already need to leave 17 gallons of fuel behind to get to MGTOW, so I can only shed a bit over 300 additional pounds in fuel even if I only go to Land o' Lakes. So yeah, that means I probably need another 100 pounds, aka one wife or one kid plus bags, to get out safely.

If we leave early in the morning and it's cool, things look better... But this is definitely not a departure I can do without looking at the performance charts. And as you can tell, I've thought about this plenty.

Over at the school at the west end of the field we have electricity for charging devices and a shower. Iffin you get on a computer and check out http://6y9.sidnaw.org/events.php and go through some of the pictures from past events you'll see it's not really off grid. We all tend to hang out in the school after the shut down the grill for the day.

right but is it mainly tent camping?

Ok... sign me up for whatever this is!

002.jpg

Also - another very important question... did the plane bring the camper? or vice versa?

@EdFred Is there places to crash inside the school?
last time, your folks were kind enough to put me in a cabin. It has been awhile but I thought most stayed in the school house?

are there farm animals in the area? asking for a friend.......

right but is it mainly tent camping?
Yes

Ok... sign me up for whatever this is!
View attachment 109695
Also - another very important question... did the plane bring the camper? or vice versa?

I think they were relatively local, and both drove in and flew in.

@EdFred Is there places to crash inside the school?
last time, your folks were kind enough to put me in a cabin. It has been awhile but I thought most stayed in the school house?
Mostly tent campers. There's like 2 rooms that have privacy (closing doors) in the school, and in the past at least one person put up a tent somewhere in the school, but @Dizaster is the one who knows what's available inside the school.

We have always offered to make arrangements to pick up/drop off at LNL. It's about 45 minutes one way by car. That may be a good option for those of you worried about getting in and out of 6Y9.

We have always offered to make arrangements to pick up/drop off at LNL. It's about 45 minutes one way by car. That may be a good option for those of you worried about getting in and out of 6Y9.
And I can shuttle via Comanche if need be.

Looking like it's going to be a good group.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

While we have the "same" airplane, mine weighs 31% more than yours at MTOW up to around around 51% more empty, so my takeoff speed is significantly higher and I'll eat up a lot more runway. Anything less than 2500 paved is pretty sketchy for me.

Today, at MGTOW with no wind on grass, my takeoff distance over a 50' obstacle would be 3000 feet. From the threshold to the biggest trees at 6Y9 is a little under 3300 feet, and those big trees are higher than 50 feet I think, not to mention that there are shorter obstacles closer in. Using over 90% of the available space with book numbers... Sorry, that's too close.

If I can be at 50 feet by the end of the runway, I'll do it (this has less to do with the runway than the fact that I want a 20% margin, it's just a convenient reference)... But that requires a 15 knot headwind or a 400 pound weight reduction, or some combination thereof. With my family and bags, I already need to leave 17 gallons of fuel behind to get to MGTOW, so I can only shed a bit over 300 additional pounds in fuel even if I only go to Land o' Lakes. So yeah, that means I probably need another 100 pounds, aka one wife or one kid plus bags, to get out safely.

If we leave early in the morning and it's cool, things look better... But this is definitely not a departure I can do without looking at the performance charts. And as you can tell, I've thought about this plenty.

I can't argue with such careful thinking. I figured your higher weight would be offset by that big mill you got in the nose. Never thought the big Mooneys were one bit less than the little ones.

I can't argue with such careful thinking. I figured your higher weight would be offset by that big mill you got in the nose. Never thought the big Mooneys were one bit less than the little ones.

Yes, my power loading is a little better (12.03lb/hp for me vs 14.31 for you) so I accelerate a little faster, but because of the higher speed needed, it pretty much gets canceled out. Keep in mind that constant acceleration = linear velocity = exponential distance used, so even though my acceleration should be somewhat better with the lower power loading, and my velocity is increasing somewhat faster over time, the distance function is gonna get kind of ugly. The higher weight also likely means more resistance from the grass as well.

Yes, my power loading is a little better (12.03lb/hp for me vs 14.31 for you) so I accelerate a little faster, but because of the higher speed needed, it pretty much gets canceled out. Keep in mind that constant acceleration = linear velocity = exponential distance used, so even though my acceleration should be somewhat better with the lower power loading, and my velocity is increasing somewhat faster over time, the distance function is gonna get kind of ugly. The higher weight also likely means more resistance from the grass as well.

You should just take off from a treadmill and then you could have 'infinite' runway to get up to speed.

...sorry, couldn't resist. :)

but if he did that his Mooney might come from together, not many will remember that little reference!!!

Tentative - home airport may be closed. I considered taking off and landing from the road, but probably a bad idea. NOTAM dates to be released soon.
Not looking good. It doesn't look like I'll be able to sneak out like I thought I could either.

I'm technically on the flight schedule that weekend now too, so in theory I won't know for sure that my Saturday is open until Friday at 6 PM.

Might have to wait and make it a day trip.

I think we're in for Sat. morning arrival and Sun morning departure. Grandma has heroically agreed to take all 5 kids overnight.

Are you in the market for a TBM?

Would be very cool if you were, and even more cool if it made its way to 6Y9 at some point, just sayin

Most likely, but it would gave been way more cool if Spike was looking for a TBM

All 5 of us will be there in the RV40, probably arriving Friday late afternoon and leaving sometime Sunday later in the day.

This time we’re not going to attempt to bring the Land Rover, we found no need so may as well make it simpler.

@Dizaster we’d like to reserve our same campsite as last year! :D

I also have never been and want to go. also, I never realized 6Y9 is pretty darn close to 6Y3, just sayin................hhhhhhmmmmmmmm.......

too bad our old friends @German guy and @Skywalker aren't interested in flying anymore.....we used to talk about a north fox meet up. guess I'll have to find new people interested in doing that. (enter sad face emoji here)

...says the man who hasn't made it to 6Y9 one single time yet! ;)
This being said, our interest in flying has indeed dwindled a bit. :(

This being said, we hope that things will change soon, as we finally dropped off our Zenith project at a builder's assist center in Florida, to help us wrap up the project. Chances are good that it will be flying by the end of THIS year! :D

1. What is heir business?
2. Oliver can just send Martina... ;-)

They own an Archideck franchise. I think I have that correct. Anyway business is booming so they are both pretty swamped.

Yes, we bought an Archadeck franchise location and are now 'Archadeck of Southeast Michigan'. If you're interested, here is our website: https://www.archadeck.com/southeast-michigan/

Martina alone sadly can't come, since way too many days still look like this :cool: :
IMG_3675.jpeg

This being said, we finally managed to stabilize the situation with crews and associates. This allows us to get back to working on the Zenith. The Labour Day week was however sadly the only opportunity in September for us to fly with the Mooney to the Builder's Assist center in Florida, to continue working on it.

We really hope that 6Y9 will happen again next year and that we will be able to join!

Have we heard this before?:D

Enough said for now.
NOTAM 08/006: Tri-County Regional Airport (KLNR)
!LNR 08/006 LNR RWY 18/36 CLSD 2208161500-2209121800 CREATED: 15 Aug 2022 14:55:00 SOURCE: KGRBYFYX
NOTAM 06/001: Tri-County Regional Airport (KLNR)
!LNR 06/001 LNR RWY 09/27 CLSD 2206131200-2209151200 CREATED: 06 Jun 2022 12:05:00 SOURCE: KGRBYFYX

:dunno: Plane is stuck. Last year plane was in avionics.

We really hope that 6Y9 will happen again next year and that we will be able to join!

We will miss you guys this year! As said earlier in the thread, any year could be the last, but at this time plans for 6Y9 continue.:)

!LNR 08/006 LNR RWY 18/36 CLSD 2208161500-2209121800 CREATED: 15 Aug 2022 14:55:00 SOURCE: KGRBYFYX
!LNR 06/001 LNR RWY 09/27 CLSD 2206131200-2209151200 CREATED: 06 Jun 2022 12:05:00 SOURCE: KGRBYFYX

BUMMER!

To be fair, it only says the runways are closed. Don’t you have a 180?

To be fair, it only says the runways are closed. Don’t you have a 180?
I tried. Only viable way out is the road, which well, has its own risks.
You have a truck. We're driving from Kansas and I will probably be driving the portion from KC to Minneapolis solo with the kids. Your excuses are lame. :D
Yeah, lame excuses. - but my truck isn't a mobile house :p.

I tried. Only viable way out is the road, which well, has its own risks.

Yeah, lame excuses. - but my truck isn't a mobile house :p.
I rolled to Altanta for a 4 day weekend with 2 other guys in a truck. Pretty sure you can make it a couple hours north with yours. Unless you're saying that GMC can do things Fords can't.

I rolled to Altanta for a 4 day weekend with 2 other guys in a truck. Pretty sure you can make it a couple hours north with yours. Unless you're saying that GMC can do things Fords can't.
Timing is the issue. I have students on Saturday so via Truck the soonest I could get there is 10pm Saturday. Y'all aren't worth 12 hours of driving in a 24 hour period :p.

Back