6Y9 2009 Flying season

Nah, sound like you need to go to the airport where Scott keeps the pitts to get really go to go into 6Y9... Jersey Shore has no obsticals around it... it's all feilds.

Scott used to keep his Aztec up at Finkhaven. He and I should take mine there for practice, but I can't go there myself since it's a private field. If I can get in and out of Finkhaven, then 6Y9 is a cakewalk. We'll do that later.

Doesn't look like I'll be able to make it since I have standing plans Labor Day weekend. :rolleyes: Looks like a rockin-good time though. If something changes, I'll def. plan for it! Might make for a good $100 hamburger for me sometime this summer. :p Some girlfriends and I are discussing a weekend trip to Gogebic - looks like it's pretty close.

6Y9 on Labor Day weekend is better than... well, most things I can think of. :)

Well I decided to put my two cents worth in here...hit "post quick reply" and poof! my message went somewhere but not to the board!
Anyway basically it said:

YESSSSSSS- less than five months to the 4th Annual 6Y9 Fly in! And YESSSSS I have my checklist-- And YESSSSSS I can hardly wait to see you all again....and YESSSSSSS - like Brad said you are welcome anytime.

Last year at the Sunday breakfast some of us had a chance to brainstorm....Rachel give me a shout. Ted, you were going to check on some planes.

Also- for the Friday arrivals- would you rather hang at the field and maybe have some sort of pot luck for dinner? Maybe that's not a good option but I know that most of you are hungry after settling in. We could do Hoppy's again.....if some of you could execute some control (ahem). :D We would still plan the Saturday night hayride to Hoppy's if that is something that everyone enjoyed and cared to do again. And we have not heard whether the little restaurant right in Sidnaw will be opening any time soon.

(Did the cookie contest take place last year? If it did I missed that part)

Just some thoughts. We're always looking for ways to improve the weekend so if you have any opinions or suggestions please let me know.

Hope you all are doing well....spread the word. It would be great to keep breaking records with the number of planes and pilots!

I'd be up for Hoppy's again, but maybe we should warn them ahead of time to stock up on the Crown :D

As far as meals, i would prefer to support the local businesses. Hoppy's is fine with me.

I agree with supporting the local businesses, and plus Hoppy's is a grand old time. I did like the breakfast cook-out on Sunday morning.

Diz, I must have some sort of memory loss (Crown-induced or otherwise ;)). What was I going to check on exactly? As stated above, the Aztec and I will be showing up (hopefully with several others in tow). I've got a couple of non-PoAer friends who I'm trying to talk into coming as well, but I doubt that'll happen. Most of them are on the east coast and not the sorts that fly long trips like that.

..my bad....I meant Chris..... balsa wood planes for the kids.....

But I did get your attention, huh?

Ahh, now that makes more sense. My plane's not made of wood. :)

Jeepers. I just looked up the airport code. Didn't realize this was so close to me. Can someone post details for those of us new to the forum?

1 hr 20 minutes from the airport 5 miles south of you :D

Well shoot, I'm scheduled to be flying a tow plane both that saturday and sunday. I'll try to get that saturday off so I could come up fri night and saturday.

If we are voting, I like Hoppy's for friday dinner.

Also, I think it would be great to have a few people who wouldn't mind giving locals rides. The couple kids I took up really enjoyed it, but their was one older fella that talked my ear off about his Citabria he flew in the past, but by the time I was feeling up to flying, he was nowhere to be found. I plan on having a bit less fun on fri night, so that that kinda guy will be offered a ride saturday morning.

My 2.

Tim

... and there can never be too many thanks to the Fredericks - Thank you!

Also, I think it would be great to have a few people who wouldn't mind giving locals rides. The couple kids I took up really enjoyed it, but their was one older fella that talked my ear off about his Citabria he flew in the past, but by the time I was feeling up to flying, he was nowhere to be found. I plan on having a bit less fun on fri night, so that that kinda guy will be offered a ride saturday morning.

agree wholeheartedly. when did you start towing gliders? where? hope you make it, and bring more salsa, that stuff was great!

More salsa will definitely be on the way, fresh salsa is a staple for me in the summer. Spicier though, I think, it was a bit tame last year.

Gliders - started towing a couple weeks ago for the club at Osceola, and I'm having an absolute blast. Tow plane is a PA-18 with the 180hp STC. Heel brakes make it interesting for me - Citabria has toe brakes.

I'd like to make it, it sounds like there will be a great turnout this year with people I haven't met yet.

A reminder for anyone that wants to give a ride - something I forgot last year was a spare headset for a passenger.

Tim

agree wholeheartedly. when did you start towing gliders? where? hope you make it, and bring more salsa, that stuff was great!

no! don't make it spicier. if it is spicier i wont be able to handle it. it was perfectly on the edge of acceptable last year.

Spicier /= better

I'd agree that two batches sounds good. I like spicy. Clearly some don't.

As to giving rides - I agree that it would be nice if we could try to arrange something for that. Maybe if we could get a few people together to schedule some rides. I'm willing to do some in the Aztec. I certainly enjoyed taking the people for rides that I did, and they seemed to enjoy it as well.

Oh, so who's calling dibs on taking the reporter who shows up this year flying? ;)

Ted,Be careful on what you take dibs on!
We've had two that were slim,but, there might be a "reportress" up there that could only fly in the Aztruck.
The salsa was great Tim ,I sure hope you can make it.

I was asking who was taking dibs. If she's the same one (or similar) to last year's, I'll gladly take her up again. ;)

Tony the phrase you need to start practicing is 'I had not noticed her, but you are way more prettier my dear'

Practice it so it comes out of your mouth like a reflex action and you'll be ok.

Or even better -- "What other girl?"

HEY.. I just had a GREAT idea.. How about an official 6Y9 wedding!? Do you think Leah would go for it, Tony? I wouldn't be surprised if 'ol #24 hat guy is an ordained minister of some sort of church. Rehearsal party at Hoppie's on Friday night. Wedding on Saturday. Reception = fly-in cookout. After-party = karaoke at Sidnaw bar. Ya'll can honeymoon by moving your tent to the far end of the runway. ;)

Sounds like a GREAT idea to me...

Last edited:
Or even better -- "What other girl?"
That is the after action response. If she is right there and it is apparent that an attractive female is around denial is you only course of action coupled with the compliment. The compliment will throw her off balance for a second or two so that you can change the subject. If she is able to compose herself then you have to go for the nuclear option; "did you do something to your hair honey? It looks really nice"

Sidnaw has been suggested, as has Gastons and Beaumont. although we would rather get married somewhere a little more accessible to our families. Apparently that doesnt include the Emmet County Courthouse.

Sidnaw has been suggested, as has Gastons and Beaumont. although we would rather get married somewhere a little more accessible to our families. Apparently that doesnt include the Emmet County Courthouse.
How about the ramp at KEST?

well for a few moments, there was talk that a hangar at EST could be an option for a reception...

And then Leah said "Wait, you're talking about OUR wedding reception!? no no no no.. I thought you were talking about someone else's reception." :rofl:

no! don't make it spicier. if it is spicier i wont be able to handle it. it was perfectly on the edge of acceptable last year.

Spicier /= better
Wrong. Spicier == BETTER!

And we'll try to remember a couple extra headsets.

Don't forget that the Southern Houghton County Airport and Heritage Association besides having 6Y9 also owns the former Catholic Church in Sidnaw( now museum). If I get the hanger up maybe that could work for the reception. Catered by Hoppy's, DJ would be the "24Guy" Haywagon ride around town with tin cans dragging off the back.
Yeah, this is all falling together.

And maybe we could get the "Dancing Mr. Green Jeans" to serve as usher....or...perhaps he has a preacher's license????

Adam- executing control was only a suggestion....the entertainment value for the rest of us was, well, priceless..........:smile:

For the salsa.

170px-FireExtinguisherABC.jpg

Now Kate!
It wasn't that hot:mad3:, not even a bead of sweat on my forehead. That falls into the high side of mild.

Well, the snow WAS gone....

16" dropped last night in the area.

Got in touch with the IA DOT Wings Division and they are sending me 2 dozen balsa-wood airplanes for kid activities.

Rachel is thinking about a 'distance' competition with the kids, and we pilots can try to help them 'adjust' to get max distance.

They actually got close to 24" of wet snow, we were up there over the weekend it all melted while we were there.
6Y9 is a lake right now, it's going to take a couple of dry weeks to make it useable.
May 15 th is still the official opening.
More tree's were cut, more will die next week with the chainsaw massacre:D

If I can make it you will have paper airplanes the like of which you have never seen.

Back