6Y9 2009 Flying season

el con

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
The Flied Piper
Well Gang
The snow is almost gone at 6Y9.
The MDOT -Aeronautics Dept has offered to come out and re set-up the cones,check out the approaches, etc.,about May 1st.
Officially 2,600 ft, with no trees for an additional 500ft going out on 28.
I'll be warming up the chain saw as I've got the go ahead from property owners to get rid of some more trees at both ends of the runway.
It will be much safer this year, still watch out for that electric pole.

We have secured the two cabins from next door for those who may need more than a tent and a shower. Each cabin has two
bedrooms ,shower,toilet, and a kitchenette, sleeps 4, could do 6 but tight.
Please use wisely as we would hate to waste cabins for only 1 or 2 people per cabin.
We can get you in touch with the owners for details and prices.
As before the Fly In date is Sept.4,5,6,7, the main day being Sat. the 5th.
As always, anybody is welcome all Season May15th-Nov.1 or more if you have ski's:ihih:
Also what would you like to see different, or like to do in addition to years past.
Good Flying
Brad

Brad,

Leah and I are looking forward to labor day. I dont really have any suggestions, we've had a blast the last few years just the way it is. i suppose anything you can do that will make the weekend more enjoyable for you and Diz is what I would suggest.

Ditto what Tony said. Rachel and I are definitely planning on coming back this year. Don't think you need to add 'activities' or 'stuff' to keep us happy. As has already been proven, all we need is a grill and access to meat (or I can bring a gun ;)) and we are perfectly happy.

My only suggestion would be to arrange things so you and Diz have more time to hang out with the rest of us without feeling like you 'should' be doing something.

Damn Michael that the spirit. 6Y9er is Flat out one of the most fun flyins I have ever been to.

There's a really damn good chance I'll be there this year....pulling some strings now...

Just to stir the pot a little.... Some images from 6Y9's past....

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

Last edited:
What Tony said, including trying to relax a little and spend some time just enjoying yourselves!

I'm in for as many days as I can, and ditto what Tony said. Just hanging out is good for me. Although the bus(tractor) to Hoppies is a plus.

Barb

mmmm Me thinks this may be doable again!:ihih:

If Adam's going than I am too!

Adam cheated last year and took commercial part of the way. This year he best be taking GA. :)

If you two want, we'll ride share. I'm hoping to be dragging Missa along to this one as well (she missed all the fun last year). Four is a good number in the Aztruck for that strip.

I had great fun last year, and will certainly not hog a cabin - I loved sleeping out back behind the plane, and absolutely want to do it again this year. You can count me in for September, and I am really looking forward to it. What better way to spend the weekend than with some of my favorite people in such a great place? I do know for myself that I should bring a few more warmer clothes - the nights got a bit chilly.

For the record, I can't think of anything to change. Perhaps a note that if we could get a power strip somewhere easily accessible in the school for our electronics. I use my Treo for music when I fly, and playing music eats up the battery after a day's worth of flying, nevermind just being there for four days.

Last edited:
Lance, can you get the Baron in and out of there? It'd be a bit of a haul for the Porterfield...

Lance, can you get the Baron in and out of there? It'd be a bit of a haul for the Porterfield...

It was no problem the one time I was there before. I'm usually over in Michigan (lower peninsula) that week which puts me about a hundred miles closer.

Could the pole be painted with red and white stripes?
That's a good and cost-effective aid. (Not a solution, but certainly helpful!)

I expect that we'll be doing the tent this year too, since we purchased it specifically for Prickett-Grooms!

Thanks for all the great things said.
Diz does most of all the work on the Fly In, without her it would not happen.
I spread out my work over the summer cutting grass,trimming trees,cutting brush,lengthening runways, and getting a great deal of satisfaction from it.
I hope to move a couple of small shelters over for pilots to use this summer,we'll see.
I'm going to try and put up my hanger this year too.

We do this because we love seeing all of you guys enjoying yourselves,and it is great that the locals take such interest in this. They give also as they have given us tax free status on the airport property. Giving rides to both kids and adults is a great way to thank them back.
Anybody that wants to volunteer with some of the stuff would be appreciated.
On the requests:
1.Electric will be available at the school or at our cabin.
2.We will mark the pole better this year, may even turn the runway slightly.
I'm hoping I can some how talk Wisconsin Electric into moving it, I do have a dozer,Hmmmm.
Again to all,please use 6Y9 anytime, we're doing this for more than just the Fly-In.
See You all there.

I'm in for as many days as I can, and ditto what Tony said. Just hanging out is good for me. Although the bus(tractor) to Hoppies is a plus.

Barb

I'm in again too. And just a tip -- don't ride in the front of that trailer unless you like dirt in your teeth.:)

OK - I have to see what all the fuss is about. You people look like you're having too much fun.
Count me in.

If you two want, we'll ride share. I'm hoping to be dragging Missa along to this one as well (she missed all the fun last year). Four is a good number in the Aztruck for that strip.

I figured that I ran out of excuses this year... other then can you get the Azetc in there???:rolleyes:

I figured that I ran out of excuses this year... other then can you get the Azetc in there???:rolleyes:
If he is a good enough pilot!! ;)

Bruce got his twin in there when 6Y9 first reopened. Brad, Dizz and Ed have made the runway longer and safer. I hope Ted can get his Aztruck in and out now.

OMG, is that a Grumman? Hmmmm, the Tiger can do 2,600 ft on grass, especially with the three JU-52's I'll be bringing as tow planes, along with the JATO bottles. :D

OMG, is that a Grumman? Hmmmm, the Tiger can do 2,600 ft on grass, especially with the three JU-52's I'll be bringing as tow planes, along with the JATO bottles. :D

No, it's like a Grumman, only with more capabilities. :D:D:D

No, it's like a Grumman, only with more capabilities. :D:D:D

It actually looks like an RV-6A. Love the RV's, but its nice to have the two seats in the back and actually be able to bring stuff. :devil:

It actually looks like an RV-6A. Love the RV's, but its nice to have the two seats in the back and actually be able to bring stuff. :devil:

Close! 7A.

It does well for what we need right now. Two of us and enough cra... err.. stuff for any trips we might take. We've taken it to Vegas for a week, Charleston for a few days, San Antonio for a week, etc. etc. It's nice having access locally to a 182RG for those very few times when we need DC3-like capacity.

Close! 7A.

It does well for what we need right now. Two of us and enough cra... err.. stuff for any trips we might take. We've taken it to Vegas for a week, Charleston for a few days, San Antonio for a week, etc. etc. It's nice having access locally to a 182RG for those very few times when we need DC3-like capacity.

Uhhh, I would trade my Tiger for a 7A in a heartbeat. They are GREAT airplanes and a two seater would actually be fine for me. Being able to do a knife edge and get the short field capabilies is awesome. Its interesting though you can see the Grumman influence for sure. Wish my Tiger was aerobatic.

Very nice RV!!!

I hereby declare I will be at 6Y9 well before Labor Day :D

Way to go Kate!! More fishing lessons:lol:

To date we have had 2 twins into 6Y9.
Dr.Bruce in the Seneca when we only had 1850ft. (Most awesome landing at the field to date) T.O. no problem either, but he was very, very light.
Bruce in his Baron (I missed both the T.O. and Landing but saw pictures) He was at least 75 to 100ft off the ground at midfield which was 2000ft at the time.
Now we're at 2600ft with trees cleared back farther.
Practice your short fields,practice on some grass, keep your airspeed slow but safe, be careful on doing a go around,in 2003 a 172SP crashed off the end of 28 and the pilot did'nt live to tell about it,the passenger lived. Witness's saw he touched down 3/4 down the runway then decided to try and go back up.:mad2:
Not trying to scare anyone, just be careful.
There are some longer paved runways fairly close,someone can come get you if you need,by car or plane.

Short field takeoffs and landings in the Aztec are just fine. We'll be able to get in and out easily. I've not done any grass strip work with it yet, but I'll head over to Jersey Shore and practice some.

Anyways, glad to hear that at least one other person will be coming with me to 6Y9, hopefully more. :)

My apologies to Lance, as he flew in his Baron, not Bruce.
My mind is getting old but I can still cut grass.:lol:
Anyone need an Aztruck as there is one for sale at Hastings Airport in Mi.
It's getting pretty cheap also.

My apologies to Lance, as he flew in his Baron, not Bruce.
My mind is getting old but I can still cut grass.:lol:
Anyone need an Aztruck as there is one for sale at Hastings Airport in Mi.
It's getting pretty cheap also.
You had it right, it was Bruce that first Labor Day.

Jeepers. I just looked up the airport code. Didn't realize this was so close to me. Can someone post details for those of us new to the forum?

Jeepers. I just looked up the airport code. Didn't realize this was so close to me. Can someone post details for those of us new to the forum?

Well, first and foremost, you have to know that 6Y9 was closed by the state for want of available budget, and the Fredericks (Brad and Diz) bought it and reopened it, with tons of hard work by their son and PoA curmudgeon, Ed Frederick.

Yes, an airport brought back from the dead.

Pretty cool, huh?

Now, the datails can be found at the 6Y9 Fly-In sub-forum, which in turn is here: http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=37

You can also see evidence (incriminating?) of prior 6Y9er Fly-Ins there. Apparently, the townspeople of Sidnaw have not figured out that flying little airplanes is a terroristic act, because they seem to enjoy things (or so I have heard).

Short field takeoffs and landings in the Aztec are just fine. We'll be able to get in and out easily. I've not done any grass strip work with it yet, but I'll head over to Jersey Shore and practice some.

Anyways, glad to hear that at least one other person will be coming with me to 6Y9, hopefully more. :)

Nah, sound like you need to go to the airport where Scott keeps the pitts to get really go to go into 6Y9... Jersey Shore has no obsticals around it... it's all feilds.

Appleton's pretty close! and you've never heard of Sidnaw,it's downtown district,opera house,major league teams.:smilewinkgrin:

Da locals say dat day are smarter dan Da peoples frum Visconsin and most udder places. Everybody in town knows where Visconsin is don cha know,but nobody from Visconsin knows ver Sidnaa is. Holy Waaa!!!:rolleyes:

As Spike said you can find most of the Fly In stuff at "Cool Places to Fly".
Also www.sidnaw.org
Ed 's got some video shot when the field was short and narrow,and some other area info on the website. I think we've changed it enough now that maybe we need some new video shot and posted.
It looks as we're going to have another great turnout.
Let's keep our fingers crossed for the weather Gods to be kind!
I'm there just about every two weeks during flying season to cut grass,all are welcome to stop by. June and July plenty of bugs for everyone,August and Sept.fewer of those pesky critters.
Please pass the word around to other pilot's you know ,especially the one's from Wi. and MN.,very close and easy.

Back