61.57 Recent flight experience: Pilot in command.

brien23

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Brien
If you lap's the 6 mo period I do not see the next 6mo that used to be their to regain experience looks like a Instrument proficiency check is required.
The instrument proficiency check also seems to require all the PTS items

now and its going to take a lot longer that it used to.

(1) Use of an airplane, powered-lift, helicopter, or airship for maintaining instrument experience. Within the 6 calendar months preceding the month of the flight, that person performed and logged at least the following tasks and iterations in an airplane, powered-lift, helicopter, or airship, as appropriate, for the instrument rating privileges to be maintained in actual weather conditions, or under simulated conditions using a view-limiting device that involves having performed the following—
(i) Six instrument approaches.
(ii) Holding procedures and tasks.
(iii) Intercepting and tracking courses through the use of navigational electronic systems.

61.57(d).

Instrument proficiency check. Except as provided in paragraph (e) of this section, a person who has failed to meet the instrument experience requirements of paragraph (c) for more than six calendar months may reestablish instrument currency only by completing an instrument proficiency check.

In other words, if you have a currency lapse of more than 6 months (6 months currency + 6 months lapse), then the IPC kicks in.

Same regs, different wording.

Check the latest version of 61.57 does away with the 6months after the first 6 months lapse.

In other words, if you have a currency lapse of more than 6 months (6 months currency + 6 months lapse), then the IPC kicks in.

Same regs, different wording.[/QUOTE]

Check the latest version of 61.57 does away with the 6months after the first 6 months lapse.

Same regs, different wording.
[/QUOTE]

The online version, from the FAA website, which is the most current available, shows it like the person in post 2 quoted.

The online version, from the FAA website, which is the most current available, shows it like the person in post 2 quoted.[/QUOTE]
I do not see the second 6 months listed anymore what paragraph is it in?

(c) Instrument experience. Except as provided in paragraph (e) of this section, a person may act as pilot in command under IFR or weather conditions less than the minimums prescribed for VFR only if:
(1) Use of an airplane, powered-lift, helicopter, or airship for maintaining instrument experience. Within the 6 calendar months preceding the month of the flight, that person performed and logged at least the following tasks and iterations in an airplane, powered-lift, helicopter, or airship, as appropriate, for the instrument rating privileges to be maintained in actual weather conditions, or under simulated conditions using a view-limiting device that involves having performed the following—
(iii) Intercepting and tracking courses through the use of navigational electronic systems.
(2) Use of a flight simulator or flight training device for maintaining instrument experience. Within the 6 calendar months preceding the month of the flight, that person performed and logged at least the following tasks and iterations in a flight simulator or flight training device, provided the flight simulator or flight training device represents the category of aircraft for the instrument rating privileges to be maintained and involves having performed the following—
(3) Use of an aviation training device for maintaining instrument experience. Within the 2 calendar months preceding the month of the flight, that person performed and logged at least the following tasks, iterations, and time in an aviation training device and has performed the following—
(i) Three hours of instrument experience.
(iii) Six instrument approaches.
(iv) Two unusual attitude recoveries while in a descending, Vne airspeed condition and two unusual attitude recoveries while in an ascending, stall speed condition.
(v) Interception and tracking courses through the use of navigational electronic systems.

I do not see the second 6 months listed anymore what paragraph is it in?

61.57(d).

1st 6 months, you are legal and can renew currency by yourself.
2nd 6 months, you are not legal but can renew by doing the approaches and stuff with a safety pilot or CFII.
After 1 year, it's a full-on IPC.

(c) Instrument experience. Except as provided in paragraph (e) of this section, a person may act as pilot in command under IFR or weather conditions less than the minimums prescribed for VFR only if:

The second 6 months that used to be able to regain experience is not their anymore.

The second 6 months that used to be able to regain experience is not their anymore.

It is in 61.57(d)

(d) Instrument proficiency check. Except as provided in paragraph (e) of this section, a person who has failed to meet the instrument experience requirements of paragraph (c) for more than six calendar months may reestablish instrument currency only by completing an instrument proficiency check. The instrument proficiency check must consist of the areas of operation and instrument tasks required in the instrument rating practical test standards.

Par (d) refers to par (c) six calendar months only how do you get the second six months out of that.

Par (d) refers to par (c) six calendar months only how do you get the second six months out of that.
No, it's referring to the 6 months in between the first 6 months of currency and the year when an IPC is required. (c) is talking about the first 6 months.

(d) Instrument proficiency check. Except as provided in paragraph (e) of this section, a person who has failed to meet the instrument experience requirements of paragraph (c) for more than six calendar months

Sigh...

Under paragraph 61.57(c), you are current for 6 months from the time you re-establish currency. At 6 months and 1 day, you have failed to meet the requirements of 61.57(c) for 1 day. Under 61.57(d), you then have the next 6 months to re-establish currency (with a safety pilot PIC or CFII) before being subject to the IPC..

brien23;1266905Par (d) refers to par (c) six calendar months only how do you get the second six months out of that.[/QUOTE said:
You have to parse it pretty carefully.

It says "a person who has failed to meet the instrument experience requirements of paragraph (c) for more than six calendar months . . ."

Up until the 6 month point, you HAVE met the requirements. AFTER that point, you have 6 MORE months before you fail to meet the requirements.

Ok lets try to make this a little more clear.
1. First 6months legal to fly IFR but you do not use your IFR rating.
(iii) Intercepting and tracking courses through the use of navigational electronic systems. 2. Second 6mo you can gain recent flight experience during this time and be legal to fly IFR again.
3. Third 6mo. used to say you could regain recent flight experience, that part is gone. You have to have recent IFR flight experience within 12 calendar months preceding the month of the flight.

Last edited:
Ok lets try to make this a little more clear.
1. First 6months legal to fly IFR but you do not use your ifr rating.

Second 6mo you can gain recent flight experence durring this time and be legal to fly IFR again.

Third 6mo used to say you could regain recent flight experience, that part is gone.

You have never had 18 months before the IPC:no:.

It has always been 12 months (6 months current + 6 months lapse).

Good grief, how old is this thread? I'm pretty sure it was extensively discussed in 2009 when the change left everyone thinking that thr 2nd 6 months went away and again early in 2012 when the 2012 Whistman letter came out to clarify the clarification :rolleyes:

If you are out of currency for more than six months, then you are required to have an IPC. 1st six months, you fly you 6-6-HIT actual and you're current. During the next six months you don't..., so you have the option of completing your 6-6-HIT with a safety pilot..., if you are still out of currency, you need the IPC.

Frankly, if you haven't flown any IFR in six months you need an IPC anyway. Even FAA-legal currency doesn't guarantee proficiency. IFR, much more so than VFR flying, needs to be regularly honed if you are going to use it.

If you are out of currency for more than six months, then you are required to have an IPC. 1st six months, you fly you 6-6-HIT actual and you're current. During the next six months you don't..., so you have the option of completing your 6-6-HIT with a safety pilot..., if you are still out of currency, you need the IPC.
That was what I was trying to say. What I did say did not come out very well.

Last edited:
Back