6+ Months Down Time?

Notatestpilot

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Notatestpilot
My airplane will be down for maintenance…
Is six months too long of time to be away from ‘stick time’?
Should I consider some dual time just in case I’m a bit rusty after so many months?

Your thoughts and recommendations are appreciated.

thanks!

Depends on how many hours you have and how much armchair flying you do. Winters in various parts of the country lead many pilots to lay off for 3 months or maybe more. I suspect most of them just take up where they left off.

Wow 6 months seems like a long time?
Do have any pilot neighbors where you keep your plane that you could fly with?
I have become friends with my hangar neighbors and have flown their planes. Not solo but with them in the plane.

In addition to the above, much depends on what you are flying and the conditions.

It’s a good excuse to try something different. I got my glider rating while waiting for my overhaul….

If you have to ask, six months is too long to go without at least a little dual when you get back into your airplane.

FWIW, I’ve also known of people who didn’t have to ask (professional pilots) who were damn glad they had an instructor along for their first foray back into GA in a while. ;)

Best answer for most pilots is some regular time with an instructor. Use this as an opportunity one way or another.

Will you be doing the first flight after maintenance?

Flying the same plane for that many years suggest that you are very familiar with it.

Will you be doing the first flight after maintenance?

Flying the same plane for that many years suggest that you are very familiar with it.
Yes, I will be doing the first flight.

It’s up to you ,you know your abilities. I keep current at a local flight school,for when the airplane is down for maintenance.

Reactions: Tai
Yes, I would rent / borrow during those six months.

1) It will keep the rust off. AND if you're also IR, it will be even more helpful
2) This is a fun hobby. No need to keep away for 6 months.
3) What are they doing that takes 6 months? Engine?

My engine was off about 6 months last year. I actively flew a Citation for work during that time then hopped right in ole blue and she said welcome back. No issues remembering how to use the foot rests.

It’s not worth it to not grab a CFI. Consider the hassle and cost vs the ultimate price for you and grief for loved ones. Sorry for being so black & white about it, but ya asked, lol. I’m in the same boat today, and considered what to do, so the logic is fresh in my mind.

Reactions: Tai
If you have to ask..........

There are so many variables that no one can say one way or the other definitively. The only definitive answer is, it wouldn't hurt.

I took 20 years off from flying. I booked a dual flight and told the instructor, I am working of getting my FR signed off, but have not expectations as to how long that might take. I was signed off after 1.3 flight and the ground work. Could I have done it without an instructor? Absolutely. Would I have done so? NO WAY.

I would say to go up with an instructor for both a flight review and IPC (if instrument rated). If you log this in iacra then you have your hours uploaded and official as well. It’s always good to get proficient and this doesn’t take much time, you’ll go over the basics, well worth it to know where you are at.

My personal rule is, minimum one landing per month. In the rare occasion where I can’t do it, I get an instructor for an hour before going solo again. Private Pilot with nearly 400 total time.

Our club plane went in for an overhaul first week of last December, in that time I finished up the commercial written and checkride. Still no plane yet, however, I have flown over a half dozen other planes of different flavors. It's been nice and very expensive.
Maybe next time the plane is down I'll try to get tailwheel endorsement.

6 months? Wouldn't faze me at all, especially with that much time in that particular airplane. I've gone longer than that and just jumped back in, though I would wait for a mellow day. Was I rusty after 6 months or more? Sure, but not the the point where I'd consider myself unsafe.

You must be more of a pilot stud than the rest of us mere mortals.

I've been down that long waiting for unobtanium parts, and it wasn't an issue getting back in the plane after hundreds of hours in type. I missed flying, however. That down time could be a good time to get a Flight review or and IPC in a different plane to challenge your skills. I did a flight review in a C172 and practiced landing and taking off from a 1200 foot runway as a part of a flight review. That was fun, and I got to explore flight regimes I don't (or can't) practice in my Grumman. I trained in a C152 and C172 and it was a nice flashback to earlier times.

No airtime for me since august. Bought a sim. Not sure what I will do when plane is done. VFR only for sure.

Back