55 years old - starting CFI training?

RalphInCA

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
RalphInCA
I will soon be 55, private pilot, no instrument rating, about 200 hours total. Average skills as a pilot.

My current job (motorcycle instructor) is coming to an end, so I'm considering my next career. Always wanted to be a CFI. I think I would be a good one. I have a passion for teaching and flying.

Has anyone else started this late in the game and gone on to be a CFI?

Advice?

My primary CFI and the CFI who did my initial where in their 50s when they got their initial. Both were excellent.

My advice? Do it if you want to.

I am only 35, but for the moment my retirement plans involve becoming a CFI.

It can sure be done, one of the CFI's I had was in his 60's

Didn't do the CFI, but did do my ATP later in life. Go for it.

We had a guy at our flight school get his CFI and he's in his 40s I believe. Go for it!

Since we're on the subject, what would be the next logical step? Or is it as simple as 'enrolling' in the CFI course at the flight school?

Since we're on the subject, what would be the next logical step? Or is it as simple as 'enrolling' in the CFI course at the flight school?

Next logical steps for him:

- Instrument rating
- Commercial pilot certificate
- Then worry about the CFI training

Repeat after me: 55 is YOUNG!

(The AARP ads I've been getting were address to the wrong Brian...)

Go for it - you have the right attitude.

Next logical steps for him:

- Instrument rating
- Commercial pilot certificate
- Then worry about the CFI training

Hmmm. What I would be happy to just teach VFR students? Do I still need to get the IR?

Hmmm. What I would be happy to just teach VFR students? Do I still need to get the IR?

Yes, instrument and commercial are required to hold a flight instructor airplane certificate regardless of whether or not you intend on instructing instrument students.

To be eligible for a flight instructor certificate or rating a person must:

(a) Be at least 18 years of age;

(b) Be able to read, speak, write, and understand the English language. If the applicant is unable to meet one of these requirements due to medical reasons, then the Administrator may place such operating limitations on that applicant's flight instructor certificate as are necessary;

(c) Hold either a commercial pilot certificate or airline transport pilot certificate with:

(1) An aircraft category and class rating that is appropriate to the flight instructor rating sought; and

(2) An instrument rating, or privileges on that person's pilot certificate that are appropriate to the flight instructor rating sought, if applying for—

(i) A flight instructor certificate with an airplane category and single-engine class rating;

(ii) A flight instructor certificate with an airplane category and multiengine class rating;

(iii) A flight instructor certificate with a powered-lift rating; or

(iv) A flight instructor certificate with an instrument rating.

You can skip the instrument and commercial if you just want to be a light sport instructor, see 61.403.

Last edited:
Thanks Jesse. I should've looked that up myself. I guess I need to get used to memorizing and/or looking up FARs if I want to be a CFI, don't I?

CFI? Heck, the DPE I had for my private ride didn't start flying until he was 57.. :)

Why not? You'll have at least 30 years of teaching ahead of you!!!!

You guys have been very encouraging, thanks.

Now I need to decide how I am going to pursue this: private CFI, or some sort of school.

Also need to decide if I should I purchase an airplane or continue to rent.

Lots of things to consider. But I think I am on my way to a new new career

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My current job (motorcycle instructor) is coming to an end, so I'm considering my next career. Always wanted to be a CFI. I think I would be a good one. I have a passion for teaching and flying.

Advice?

What kind of motorcycle instructing? Where do you get that job?

Thanks Jesse. I should've looked that up myself. I guess I need to get used to memorizing and/or looking up FARs if I want to be a CFI, don't I?
Memorizing? Not necessarily.

How to easily look up? Definitely.

I'd say you are waaaaaaay too old. I was 48, sooooo much younger! :rolleyes: :thumbsup: :crazy:

Go for it. I retired after 37 years of teaching. Needed something to get me out of the house, so I became a CFI at 60. It's a lot different teaching a large class vs one-on-one, but it's a quick transition. The other difference is that now students are trying to find new ways of killing you. Enjoy!

Now I need to decide how I am going to pursue this: private CFI, or some sort of school.

Also need to decide if I should I purchase an airplane or continue to rent.
Commercial and CFI-Airplane require a complex airplane, and few independent CFI's have a complex airplane available in which to give training. So, unless you're going to buy a complex airplane, you'll probably have to go the flight school route for the CP and CFI training. However, once you get that CFI you'll probably be doing your instructing at a flight school anyway (there being a number of roadblocks to ink-wet new CFI's with little or no operational flying experience getting work as independent instructors), and having built a relationship with that school by doing your IR/CP/CFI training there will make it a lot easier to start working there.

What kind of motorcycle instructing? Where do you get that job?

I teach beginning motorcycling. The school is sponsored by a community college near here. Up until the end of last year the program was administered by the motorcycle safety foundation (MSF). Now it is it is administered by total control/Lee Parks.

It is a fun job. But it is grueling doing six hour training sessions in a parking lot during a Southern California summer. My body just can't take it anymore.

I know CFIing still gets hot and sweaty but at least I'll be sitting down and won't have the hot sun beating on me continuously. Besides, temperature drops by 2° per thousand - right?

The way you get this job is to contact the organization that administers motorcycle training in your state. It'll probably either be MSF or total control. Or contact the actual school (they are usually subcontractors) doing training nearest you. Then you have to go through training to get certified.

Then you will be certified to yell at motorcycle riders in the middle of a parking lot.

I will soon be 55, private pilot, no instrument rating, about 200 hours total. Average skills as a pilot.

Advice?

Why the hell not? Go for it!

Advice?

I completed my PP ASEL at age 18.
I flew for myself and entered the AF at age 26 to fly as a Navigator, yes I wear glasses and therefore not "pilot qualified ".
During the course of my AF career (15 years in the cockpit) I added Comercial Airplane, Glider, Multi, and instrument airplane.
After retirement, age 49 I added Instructor Glider.
At age 59, I am ready to add Instructor Airplane.

It is never "too late"

I teach beginning motorcycling. The school is sponsored by a community college near here. Up until the end of last year the program was administered by the motorcycle safety foundation (MSF). Now it is it is administered by total control/Lee Parks.

It is a fun job. But it is grueling doing six hour training sessions in a parking lot during a Southern California summer. My body just can't take it anymore.

I know CFIing still gets hot and sweaty but at least I'll be sitting down and won't have the hot sun beating on me continuously. Besides, temperature drops by 2° per thousand - right?

The way you get this job is to contact the organization that administers motorcycle training in your state. It'll probably either be MSF or total control. Or contact the actual school (they are usually subcontractors) doing training nearest you. Then you have to go through training to get certified.

Then you will be certified to yell at motorcycle riders in the middle of a parking lot.

After 25 years off two wheels, I've been considering re taking the MSF courses. There are some nice toys in the local HD store that need exercise.

I'm 64 and just got my A&P and I'm going to go for my CFI next. I have over 3000hrs but never got an instrument rating so I start on that in a couple weeks. Don

Go for It!! I am 47 and just finishing up my Comm. and then I'm going to get my CFI. but for the CFI training I want to go to an accelerated type of training facility and just rock it out. Anyone out there have any suggestions or places they did thier CFI at?

Hearing that someone wants to pursue a CFI just so they can teach others to fly is great news! Nothing wrong with the younger guys working towards and airline job instructing on the way up, but for me, having a CFI like I did (or like Cap'n Ron and others here) that is doing it only because he/she wants to teach others is great! My vote is to go for it Ralph!

Tomorrow the process begins....

Will be talking to the CFIs at the flying club I am a part of about getting going on this.

Looks like one of the first things I need to do is get a looooong XC done.

I am thinking Sedona. Anyone in SoCal want to go to Sedona?

Last edited:
Back