530 repair

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
Avionics tech says intermittent, internal fault on the comm side only.
Repair options… strictly factory?
How does that usually play out?

It plays out with a big pay out from you to them. Maybe things have changed, but that was my experience with a GNC300XL many moons ago.

Setting aside the legality, those boxes are pretty easy to open up and used good boards are readily available cheap on fleabay.

Surprised the economics have not driven a non-oem repair market, sort of like the one for the kx-155 radios.

Your money, but I would consider an Avidyne IFD 540 rather than putting money in an unsupported GNS530. To me it’s worth the bucks. You may want to download the simulator and the difference 20 years makes on technology. There currently is up to $2000 cash back with the purchase of an IFD5 Series with your trade of any panel mount GPS.

Your money, but I would consider an Avidyne IFD 540 rather than putting money in an unsupported GNS530. To me it’s worth the bucks. You may want to download the simulator and the difference 20 years makes on technology. There currently is up to $2000 cash back with the purchase of an IFD5 Series with your trade of any panel mount GPS.

I should have mentioned mine is a 530W
which also gets traffic from the 345.

:(

I should have mentioned mine is a 530W
which also gets traffic from the 345.

:(
Avidyne is a slide in for the 530W. There are a couple changes to go from non WAAS to a 540/550- or even 530 to 530W. And the IFDs will accept traffic from ADS-B sources, such as your 345. If those are the only considerations.

I assume everybody is very well aware of the capability of the IFD units and most would agree, that these are very fine navigators. On the other hand the street price tag for a new 540 is somewhere around 16k, used at least 10k. And if you have or plan to have the Garmin GFC500 A/P this route will not work because Garmin‘s paperwork will allow only Garmin navigators paired with the GFC500.

Back