AKBill

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
AKBill
Any input for a good vender to get a 500 hr inspection for Slick mags
Thanks
Bill Burgett

That requires a login, can you just copy & pase contact info?
Sorry. I could have sworn I saved it somewhere, but I looked and couldn't find it. Pointing you to the formum was all I had. The guy is active on the Piper Forum, generous with his advice, and seems like a good guy. I have PM'd him on PF, and will share his response.

Having just overhauled mags, knowing what the parts cost, I don't understand how anyone can offer to overhaul a mag for under $500. The mag 500 hours inspection kits sold do not contain all the parts for an overhaul.

Having just overhauled mags, knowing what the parts cost, I don't understand how anyone can offer to overhaul a mag for under $500. The mag 500 hours inspection kits sold do not contain all the parts for an overhaul.

Of course you don’t need to overhaul the mags, just inspect them.

I had mine done this year during annual. MH Aviation in Lancaster, CA. Honestly can't tell you what the mag overhaul cost, it was buried in my invoice. And I hate looking too closely at them, since the dollars just depress me. They're not cheap, I know that. But, I know they do everything in house and stand behind their product.

I found that my recently overhauled mags probably cost about the same as a set off the shelf from Aircraft Spruce. But you win some and lose some. My mechanic gives me plenty of breaks here and there, so while I wanted to complain, it was best not to in the end. When they got opened, the parts that were needed were not available for one of the mags for some reason lost on me, so another core mag was needed. One of the distributor blocks cost $435 alone. I think I was out $1850 for both mags parts and service and they are still used units.

I just had a set slicks done by aircraft magneto services. They took care of the 500 hour inspection and replaced all the wearable items, etc. They identified a couple of real problems (cracked distributor gears) that got corrected for an additional fee. They sent all the old parts back for me to see. The cost was about $500 each. I had a few special requests that they took care of without any issues. The mags are doing great. Excellent service.

Back