$5 aircraft registration unpaid by billionaire

My wife died. in 2013. Suddenly and unexpectedly.

A few days later I got a letter saying my homeowner's insurance was canceled for nonpayment. Wife had been paying the bills.

I called the insurance company and explained, and asked them to reconsider, but nope, no way, no how. So I arranged a new, different insurance policy. With a different company.

Then I got a letter from my mortgage holder saying that since I had let my insurance lapse, they were going to provide me with their own coverage and send me a bill. I went round and round with them for a time until I was able to get them to back off from this.

It all really sux.

Umm...well...
My gosh Tim, that is the best thought out comment in this entire thread. I mean, you have completely obliterated the notion that the NY Times may have an agenda writing an entire piece on the fact that a 5 dollar registration hasn't been paid, hell, this is BIG news!!!

Can't we all just revel in the Schadenfreude that this **** also happens to big corporate flight departments?

I mean there is someone employed by the Donald to manage his aircraft. It's not like the postcard went directly to the man himself.

Was it the same cop both times? Did you show the second cop the ticket his buddy just wrote? :mad::mad:
No. Different cop, different department ===> 1st was in Douglas County, 2nd was a short distance later into Sarpy County (while I was driving home to take care of the problem) :)

Yeah, I did show the second cop the "love note" from the first cop.
2nd cop wasn't impressed (but my kids thought it was funny!)

I've been pulled over twice for expired registration in Nebraska. Neither time did I receive a ticket.

I've also been pulled over where all I had was the online receipt that shows I paid and clearly states that the receipt is in fact not a valid registration. No ticket.

Luck of the draw, I'm sure.

This was one of the times that they were changing plates ---- so, I not only had the receipt, but the actual new plates, sitting on the PAX seat next to me. They both were still not impressed. This was back in the 70's, so who knows.
(Similar traffic laws ===> Back then, a Nebraska Taxpayer could report a driver for "Illicit Parking." If any portion of a vehicle were parked over or on top of the parking lines, that vehicle was subject to towing, impoundment, and fines/fees (towing and impoundment) --- even if the owner showed up before the tow truck arrived.
Don't know if that still exists, but if so, wish it did in more States. I've witnessed it's use in Omaha, Bellevue, and Lincoln, so .... )

The irony of a billionaire politician forgetting to pay a small bill reminds me of another story, told to me by a German policeman who was assigned to protect Vice President Nelson Rockefeller at a meeting in Bavaria.

After the meeting, Rockefeller had a free day for tourism, and he wanted to see the Neuschwanstein Castle. The cop drove him there. It was just the two of them. Rockefeller had no cash to pay the entrance fee, so the cop lent him this small amount. Rockefeller never paid him back.

a 5 dollar registration hasn't been paid

If has nothing to do with a $5 registration being (or not being) paid. It has everything to do with a multi-million dollar jet being illegal to fly. Maybe you missed that part?

Oh, wait, you're from 'bama.

Nevermind!

:rolleyes:

Wait, a guy from Mizzery is given an Alabammer a hard time?

Fe-ic

:D

Nobody mentioned yet that their tail # is vulnerable right now. Someone can swoop in and get it and maybe blackmail the owner to buy it back in 3 years. ;)

Nobody mentioned yet that their tail # is vulnerable right now. Someone can swoop in and get it and maybe blackmail the owner to buy it back in 3 years. ;)

Tail numbers have to go unused for a certain time period before they can be snatched up by someone else.

Tail numbers have to go unused for a certain time period before they can be snatched up by someone else.
I thought the whole point of forcing aircraft owners to re-register their airplanes every 3 years was to free up tail numbers. Did I misunderstand the FAA's intentions yet again? :)

I did a tail number change March 1st and it is still not showing up in the system as complete. It was brought to the FSDO and I have paper in hand, well in plane, but the computer thingy still shows the old info and pending change. So maybe its paid and the computer thingy is not up to date? Who knows. Who cares.

I thought the whole point of forcing aircraft owners to re-register their airplanes every 3 years was to free up tail numbers. Did I misunderstand the FAA's intentions yet again? :)
Contrary to popular POA opinion, the FAA isn't stupid. They recognize that some folks are going to miss the deadline and they give them wiggle room before taking the N-number back.

If has nothing to do with a $5 registration being (or not being) paid. It has everything to do with a multi-million dollar jet being illegal to fly. Maybe you missed that part?

Nevermind!

You still haven't told us why anyone should care, let alone why it's worth an investigative report in the NYT. Does flying an unregistered Citation put school children at risk? Does it harm the environment? Will it lead to war? Can it cause a rash? Perhaps the NYT is trying to reach us a lesson about the stupidity of this registration requirement? After all, it probably cost the government more than $5 to have an FAA spokesman address the reporter's questions.

Slow news day. There is no reason in the world anyone should care.

But leave it to the media to make an issue out of something that just isn't.

Nevermind!

Yet that same newspaper endorsed someone who illegally used a homebrew server for government business...in the grand scheme of things while both are illegal one pales in comparison to the other.

Yet that same newspaper endorsed someone who illegally used a homebrew server for government business...in the grand scheme of things while both are illegal one pales in comparison to the other.

Wasn't homebrew. Custom/Boutique IT shop nobody in Denver IT had ever heard of before.

Their sysadmins and managers are trying to figure out if they want to go to jail right now or worship a politician. Last I heard, one has an immunity deal for testimony.

Wasn't homebrew. Custom/Boutique IT shop nobody in Denver IT had ever heard of before.

Their sysadmins and managers are trying to figure out if they want to go to jail right now or worship a politician. Last I heard, one has an immunity deal for testimony.
The first server was set up in her home by her personal IT boy.

The first server was set up in her home by her personal IT boy.
Hadn't read that. Well whatever. Not like she'll ever see any consequences for it that'd match what any of my friends would suffer who work in that biz, if they even took a cell phone to the office.

Yes homebrew was a bit of hyperbole on my part :)

From what I recall it was more to get an idea of how many aircraft were still being flown. There is no need for the FAA to free up tail numbers, all they have to do is allow a formatting change in the numbers

The FAA is about 1.5 months behind on registrations. I bought my plane in Feb., the previous owner had let the registration lapse which was also set to expire about the end of Jan.. I sent in the "new" registration paperwork within a few days of buying, got a letter from the FAA about a month and a half later that the proof of ownership wasn't filled out correctly (previous ownership was corporate and he didn't list his title). Anyway, had to fix that and re-submit, sent back on 3-14, nothing yet. Called yesterday, they process registrations by order of when received, "currently processing date 3-9".

I know a renewal is a much easier/quicker process, but if anything has changed in ownership it can take a long time. Government doesn't work very quickly! And they don't communicate electronically, everything is sent snail mail. If I could have just scanned documents and emailed them I would think everything would be done by now. Unlike a private business, efficiency means nothing!

The FAA is about 1.5 months behind on registrations. I bought my plane in Feb., the previous owner had let the registration lapse which was also set to expire about the end of Jan.. I sent in the "new" registration paperwork within a few days of buying, got a letter from the FAA about a month and a half later that the proof of ownership wasn't filled out correctly (previous ownership was corporate and he didn't list his title). Anyway, had to fix that and re-submit, sent back on 3-14, nothing yet. Called yesterday, they process registrations by order of when received, "currently processing date 3-9".

I know a renewal is a much easier/quicker process, but if anything has changed in ownership it can take a long time. Government doesn't work very quickly! And they don't communicate electronically, everything is sent snail mail. If I could have just scanned documents and emailed them I would think everything would be done by now. Unlike a private business, efficiency means nothing!

Blasphemy...how can you say the government doesn't work very quickly :D I would also add doesn't usually work well either.

True story just got my 3rd class and student certificate on 3/31 juts under the wire before the new process kicked in. Last week I get a letter from OKC, now I'm nervous they are going to want more info based on my MedExpress submission. I open the letter and much to my relief it's a letter about optin-out of having my home address displayed and I have 2 choices sign the letter and return or go online and do it...natch I pick the online option so I garb my cert and go online and put in my name, dob and cert number...except the FAA says the cert number doesn't match my last name try multiple times and multiple combinations all uppercase, all lowercase and finally give up. The following day my computer coding son comes over and I have him give it a try...no dice. Government efficiency is like a unicorn.

Not in my case. I received the renewal notice in the mail, forgot about it (my fault), got a "late notice" in the mail. Paid that same day and printed out the confirmation for my records. Next day driving, I get pulled over for expired registration. I show the cop the proof of payment, and still end up with a ticket for no registration.

Granted, all this could have been avoided by not forgetting to pay the registration when it originally showed up. However, my point is that although the registration was technically paid (and he verified it by my print out and his computer), I still received the ticket for "inconveniencing him, and making him pull me over"...

That last part was an actual quote...
Sounds like a real friendly fella, DA will throw that out if you show up to court and explain, still a waste of a half day for you to avoid the fee.

In fairness, there's classified, and then there's CLASSIFIED. I'm mean. We're talking FIVE dollars here.

My wife died. in 2013. Suddenly and unexpectedly.

A few days later I got a letter saying my homeowner's insurance was canceled for nonpayment. Wife had been paying the bills.

I called the insurance company and explained, and asked them to reconsider, but nope, no way, no how. So I arranged a new, different insurance policy. With a different company.

Then I got a letter from my mortgage holder saying that since I had let my insurance lapse, they were going to provide me with their own coverage and send me a bill. I went round and round with them for a time until I was able to get them to back off from this.

It all really sux.
Name the bastages, they deserve to be ridiculed publicly.

Condolences...

It has nothing to do with the Donald or politics no matter how much you and others try to make it into politics. It's simply about an "unairworthy" aircraft being regularly flown.

ARROW(E) was the first mnemomic that almost all of us learned. There's just not much of an excuse...

None really.

It has nothing to do with the Donald or politics no matter how much you and others try to make it into politics. It's simply about an "unairworthy" aircraft being regularly flown.

ARROW(E) was the first mnemomic that almost all of us learned. There's just not much of an excuse...

None really.

True, so they'll hang the PIC and the person actually responsible for paying/updating the thing will walk, as usual. Certainly won't ever reach the politician riding in the back.

None really.
Unairworthy? Even when you put it in quotes, it's difficult to take seriously.

Last edited:
Sounds like a real friendly fella, DA will throw that out if you show up to court and explain, still a waste of a half day for you to avoid the fee.
There wouldn't be a DA...only person that shows up to court for traffic citations is the citing officer...if he even bothers to show up. But as I said, if he shows up, I lose. If he doesn't, I win...

He gets paid overtime to show up (in California, anyway) if court is scheduled for a time/date that is not during his usual shift. All for $25?

Hmmm, here you go to a real court with a judge and prosecutor.

Hmmm, here you go to a real court with a judge and prosecutor.
You must live somewhere where the politicians haven't figured out yet they make more revenue if they throw out the Constitution. Who needs it anyway? So much simpler to just make it Civil and no jury and stack all the cards in favor of the municipality or State. No worries. Other judges will say it's legal with no hint of there being any conflict of interest.

Total non issue here. The faa is far more interested in a drone operator failing to pay the $5 registration fee at this point.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Back