$5 aircraft registration unpaid by billionaire

and we're assuming it's unpaid simply because the gummit records show it's unpaid? there's no possibility that the records may not have been updated or an error made? consider the source for the report.

and we're assuming it's unpaid simply because the gummit records show it's unpaid? there's no possibility that the records may not have been updated or an error made? consider the source for the report.

You pay your car's registration but get pulled over by a cop whose computer says that your registration is expired...do you still get a ticket?

You pay your car's registration but get pulled over by a cop whose computer says that your registration is expired...do you still get a ticket?

Not in this state. When you pay for the registration you get the sticker for the year. No pay, no sticker. And the sticker also has your license plate number on it.

No, I didn't get a ticket. I showed the officer the valid registration and receipt from the tax collector's office (I had just renewed the registration a couple of hours before I was pulled over), he said "I guess the system hasn't updated yet, have a good day."

maybe...if you don't have proof of registration in your glove box.

FWIW, most billionaires who fly around in jets have people who handle the $5 fees.

Somebody just got fired....

nope ... (but somewhat opposite scenario) ... the officer said "You're tags are expired, but I pulled your vehicle up before I walked up here and I see you've already paid it. Where's your tag?"

"Crap! On my desk ... at home ... waiting to be installed."

"Do it when you get home. Have a nice day."

Not in this state. When you pay for the registration you get the sticker for the year. No pay, no sticker. And the sticker also has your license plate number on it.

No, I didn't get a ticket. I showed the officer the valid registration and receipt from the tax collector's office (I had just renewed the registration a couple of hours before I was pulled over), he said "I guess the system hasn't updated yet, have a good day."

maybe...if you don't have proof of registration in your glove box.

Not in my case. I received the renewal notice in the mail, forgot about it (my fault), got a "late notice" in the mail. Paid that same day and printed out the confirmation for my records. Next day driving, I get pulled over for expired registration. I show the cop the proof of payment, and still end up with a ticket for no registration.

Granted, all this could have been avoided by not forgetting to pay the registration when it originally showed up. However, my point is that although the registration was technically paid (and he verified it by my print out and his computer), I still received the ticket for "inconveniencing him, and making him pull me over"...

That last part was an actual quote...

That would be thrown out so fast here.

nope ... (but somewhat opposite scenario) ... the officer said "You're tags are expired, but I pulled your vehicle up before I walked up here and I see you've already paid it. Where's your tag?"

"Crap! On my desk ... at home ... waiting to be installed."

"Do it when you get home. Have a nice day."

Very similar scenario to what happened to me. Looks like you got the nice cop....

That would be thrown out so fast here.

The fine was a $25 "fix-it" ticket. But I was arguing about it on principle. I already paid a $90 (or so) late fee when the late notice came in. I didn't think it was "fair" to penalize me a second time for the same error (not paying the registration on time).

I take it to court on principle and let the judge chew out the cop or a call to a local news station that loves to bust balls on things like this.

I take it to court on principle and let the judge chew out the cop.
That wouldn't have happened either. Technically speaking, he was correct in issuing the ticket because I didn't have my sticker on the car yet. I paid the reg the night before, and the ticket gets mailed out and arrives within a week or so. So if you look at the situation by the letter of the law, I was in violation of it because I didnt' have my new reg sticker displayed. However, common sense would dictate that I was in compliance.

Also, you're assuming the cop would show up to the court date...
Also also, I wasn't about to burn a vacation day for $25

That wouldn't have happened either. Technically speaking, he was correct in issuing the ticket because I didn't have my sticker on the car yet. I paid the reg the night before, and the ticket gets mailed out and arrives within a week or so. So if you look at the situation by the letter of the law, I was in violation of it because I didnt' have my new reg sticker displayed. However, common sense would dictate that I was in compliance.

Also, you're assuming the cop would show up to the court date...
Also also, I wasn't about to burn a vacation day for $25

That's not the same as the database being updated / not updated. That's like saying you pulled over for a DUI, and then when the rest of the story is told, it wasn't a DUI but an open container.

That's not the same as the database being updated / not updated. That's like saying you pulled over for a DUI, and then when the rest of the story is told, it wasn't a DUI but an open container.
I think it is the same. As someone pointed out that the error may be with the FAA database rather than the registration actually being expired. I made the leap that the "error" was in changing the registration from "expired" to "current"...

Cop in traffic court? You think cops have to show up for traffic court or the ticket gets thrown out? You believe that if your college roommate commits suicide you get a 4.0? The Easter Bunny is real, too, right?

Cop in traffic court? You think cops have to show up for traffic court or the ticket gets thrown out? You believe that if your college roommate commits suicide you get a 4.0? The Easter Bunny is real, too, right?

Here they do - You get to face your accuser, no?

I just sat through traffic court where one of the cops scheduled that day was no longer employed by the municipality. They called all of his customers in the court room early and said "have a nice day..." never saw so many smiling faces come parading out of a court room.

At least there's still Santa Claus.

:D

Here they do - You get to face your accuser, no?

I just sat through traffic court where one of the cops scheduled that day was no longer employed by the municipality. They called all of his customers in the court room early and said "have a nice day..." never saw so many smiling faces come parading out of a court room.

A civil violation (i.e. Traffic ticket) does not require you to have the ability to "face your accuser" directly, i.e. The Cop Who Issued The Ticket. The municipality is your accuser, which is why you do not have a jury of your peers deciding if you were speeding, failed to come to a complete stop at a stop sign, or did not use your turn signal when changing lanes. Misdemeanors and felonies are a whole other category of courtroom proceedings regarding the presence of the issuing officer. ;)

In Nebraska, you do
(BTDT)

{{ I got stopped twice within a mile of each other, and got tickets both times.
My kids thought (think?) it was hilarious!! }}

"inconveniencing him, and making him pull me over"...

That last part was an actual quote...

Depending on how the law reads you could further inconvenience him (and yourself), but getting a judge to throw out your citation in court.

A civil violation (i.e. Traffic ticket) does not require you to have the ability to "face your accuser" directly, i.e. The Cop Who Issued The Ticket. The municipality is your accuser, which is why you do not have a jury of your peers deciding if you were speeding, failed to come to a complete stop at a stop sign, or did not use your turn signal when changing lanes. Misdemeanors and felonies are a whole other category of courtroom proceedings regarding the presence of the issuing officer. ;)

Even though it's a civil violation, there still needs to be evidence presented to indicate you ran afoul of the law.

In Nebraska, you do
(BTDT)

Was it the same cop both times? Did you show the second cop the ticket his buddy just wrote? :mad::mad:

In Nebraska, you do
(BTDT)

I've been pulled over twice for expired registration in Nebraska. Neither time did I receive a ticket.

I've also been pulled over where all I had was the online receipt that shows I paid and clearly states that the receipt is in fact not a valid registration. No ticket.

Luck of the draw, I'm sure.

I always have to bug my kids to get the emission test done on their cars so I can get the tags, this year they got them early and I forgot to buy the tags! I did it online and sent them both a copy of the receipt and hoped they didn't get pulled over! nobody got stopped. :)

It's been three months and he still doesn't have the registration in hand...sounds like someone should have been calling the FAA or calling the media if indeed they had a current registration and the database was wrong.

1362599_02bcdea730_m.jpg

First off it's NY times, that's like the left wing version of Fox "news", it just panders to left wingers.

Second, who gives a crap, it a stupid fee that's super easy to have lapse.

Third, compared to the BS storm of the two major Dems, I hardly think this is news worthy.

Gosh, do you suppose Donald Trump is in financial trouble? I mean if he can't pay a $5 fee, he must be REALLY BROKE. I'm sure he will FIGHT IT though, maybe that's the reason. He doesnt do ANYTHING without a fight. Boy do I feel sorry for this agency.... Go get 'em Donald! :)

In AZ if the cop doesn't show up, you win by default.

CA as well. They do other shady crap like making you pay the fine before you can have your day in court, but if the cop doesn't show you win and eventually get your money back.

CA as well. They do other shady crap like making you pay the fine before you can have your day in court, but if the cop doesn't show you win and eventually get your money back.

LOL....I remember that I once got a $110 ticket for parking on my own driveway. Took the day off to go to the department to get it waived, and was told that I need to "schedule" an "administrative hearing". That means I had to see a man that sits behind a desk and yell at him. However, to "schedule" the hearing, I had to pay the ticket in full, in advance. They were gracious enough to accept Visa. I pay the fine and roughly 15 minutes later am speaking with the Big Cheese, who says something along the lines of, "yes, seems like this citation was issued in error. We will go ahead and refund your money. You should expect to see the check in 90-120 days."....

I say again, LOL!

Not in my case. I received the renewal notice in the mail, forgot about it (my fault), got a "late notice" in the mail. Paid that same day and printed out the confirmation for my records. Next day driving, I get pulled over for expired registration. I show the cop the proof of payment, and still end up with a ticket for no registration.

This thread reminded me that I needed to re-register two cars. The E-MVA system in Maryland is nice enough to print a temporary registration along with the receipt to avoid that situation. Now let your insurance lapse for a day and they will go after you without mercy ;-)

I have all the registration dates and insurance dates in my calendar on my smartphone. Took a whopping five minutes to do and reminds me every year.

Not quite getting why it's apparently a difficult thing to use a calendar that one carries around in their pocket all day. Dad's and grandpa's were on paper and didn't automatically carry forward every year. Even mine was a Franklin Planner until I was in my 20s.

It's 2016. Just open the glove box when you get home and add it to your calendar. Haha. Holy hell people.

Hey guess what? You can toss the dog's vaccinations and other stuff in there too.

Mmmmm. Technology.

As far as politicians go, I really don't care if their airplanes are registered, and probably neither do they. That has to be be biggest yawner I've ever seen in a political campaign. Haha.

Back