450 pound seal blocks runway

Well that seals it, I'm going back to Alaska when I get better....

Now I know Barrow changed its name...missed that somehow.

Oh, I was wondering why I had never heard of Utqiagvik, if it is an Arctic-Coast Alaska town large enough to have a paved runway.

A year ago the local voters changed it. That’s interesting.

I can imagine that “Utqiagvik traffic” doesn’t quite roll off a pilot’s tongue easily, if you’re not used to it.

The worst were the polar bears that would get on the runway in barter island. Done a few moose/bear clearing passes in southern part of the state too.

So the first thing they did was get the seal on a scale so they could describe it as a "450 pound seal." Looks more like a 437 pound seal to me.

The worst were the polar bears that would get on the runway in barter island. Done a few moose/bear clearing passes in southern part of the state too.

In all the years I was in Alaska I never saw a polar bear, not even in Barter.

I had to buzz the runways several times in Deering to chase off the musk ox. In other places I have had to chase off caribou, moose, bears, horses, drunks and 4 wheelers. The worst is wolverines. They own everything in their sight.

warranty_void_if_seal_broken.jpg.png

I can imagine that “Utqiagvik traffic” doesn’t quite roll off a pilot’s tongue easily, if you’re not used to it.

No Problem! “Wiley Post traffic, Request current seal notams... “

-Skip

Back