42 yrs and for first ever time interesting in PPL, How do I?

Narend

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Naren
:yesnod:Hello,
I have always been interested in flying and it only now looks like I can go for it. Earlier I was busy with school, job and getting myself on track and I think I can afford and have time to go for it.
Living near Boston, MA and researching on schools.
While schools in one thing, I also want to understand and get some ideas on how to approach this training. Tips, tricks and best way to arrive at ppl.

Please share the best thoughts on affordable ways of getting the training in the region. I am also interested to be part of a flying club. Should I train keeping this in mind, so would joining a club upfront save anything? Is it allowed/possible?

All advise are greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Welcome to PoA!!!

I would say make sure you have the funds set aside to do this and make every effort to fly tow or three times a week once you start.

Make sure you can pass the physical too.

I agree with making sure you have the money set aside. I didn't budget properly and it bit me in the butt.

Hi,
Oh wow, Whats the physical requirements. I am 5' 6".
As I know, no other health issues.
-Naren.

First thing, get the medical out of the way. Review the requirements that Randy posted.

Any DUIs? Felonys? Drugs (prescription or not)? Grossly overweight? ADHD diagnosis as a child?

The above can be barriers (not all are disqualifying). If ANY doubt we can point you in the right direction BEFORE you fill out forms.

Next question: what are your goals and expectations for PPL?

Flying club probably the least expensive path, plus you get mentors and encouragement, esp. if you plan to just fly for recreation/personal travel. If you plan on making your living flying, perhaps a Part 141 school is shortest path (but not cheaper).

Good luck and welcome!

BTW, I was the same age when I could finally get down to it.

Regarding getting the medical out of the way -- only do that if you're absolutely certain you'll pass the medical! If you fail the medical, you might very well be screwed. On the other hand, if you've never had a medical you can still legally fly certain categories of aircraft after earning your Sport Pilot certificate (as long as you legally certify you're medically safe for flight).

Nothing wrong with starting at your age. I started at 44. I started out renting and taking ad hoc lessons from a Part 61 school. 20 hours in, I decided to buy my own plane, and continued with the same instructor.

Flying club options vary so you'll need to find what's available in your area, but I understand that often you can get better rental rates and better instructor rates through them.

There are several options you could choose from. From buying your own plane to joining a flying club. There are flight schools at basically all the airports around Boston. Go to your primary care doc,and get a good physical before you go to an AME. If you have the money ,your set to go. Welcome to POA and good luck.

First thing, get the medical out of the way. Review the requirements that Randy posted.

Any DUIs? Felonys? Drugs (prescription or not)? Grossly overweight? ADHD diagnosis as a child?

The above can be barriers (not all are disqualifying). If ANY doubt we can point you in the right direction BEFORE you fill out forms.
I would also add, any chronic medical conditions? Sleep apnea, diabetes, high blood pressure, etc. It's much better to know ahead of time and collect the necessary info to satisfy the doc's in OKC than to run headlong into the roadblock.

Welcome to the obsession!

I am doing the exact same thing and am only a few years younger than you at 40. I started training at 39, and was lucky enough to get my medical with under 40 clearence, but other than that no difference. My reccomendations.

1. Get you medical out of the way
2. I would look into a part 61 school at a local airfield. Part 61 is going to be more laid back, and more flexible, and is often better for people training for PPL with no commercial aspirations. It is best if you can go twice weekely, but once is ok but may take longer.
3. Cost will be 8000 to 10000 via the part 61 route.

42 is not to old to start learning to fly.

As others have advised, getting the medical certificate early is a good thing. There are a variety of conditions that have been listed in the previous responses that you need to be on top of anyhow, but if they are outside of the green arc, the FAA is gonna want more detail and info on what you're doing to manage these. Also as mentioned, the FAA will want to know about about any past histories involving Law Enforcement, Drug use (prescription and illegal), and mental conditions.

If all is well on these fronts, excellent. If not, tell us which apply and we can supply resources to help you get the correct info and documentation to make the FAA happy.

Next, do look for flying clubs in your area. These are often groups that created a shared ownership situation around one, two, or more aircraft. Flying clubs are a great way to get the most for your money, but during training and afterwards. You will get access to some very nice and well maintained aircraft and get plugged into a good group of people to help you as you learn and gain experience.

An example is the one I belong to, www.metroflyersclub.com. The cost of entry was just $3500 with reasonable dues and a killer rental rate on a Cessna 182 and a Bonanza V35 ($110/tach hr wet and $130/tach hr wet respectively). And the Bonanza is getting fitted with a glass panel starting this week.

The advice to save up at least 66%-75% of the training budget before you start is sound. I also did this, and the topped off the remaining after I got started. Doing this ensures that you'll never have to stop training due to lack of funds.

Other tips:

The new skills are perishable. Having a long time between lessons will increase the costs because you need to regain a skill or regain proficiency on something you already covered. Optimum routine is at least 2 lessons a week.

Work with a instructor that has a written syllabus. This makes it much easier to track progress and keep aware of what was done and what's to be done. No wandering and repeating lessons unless there is a true need to repeat. Also makes it simpler for you to prepare for the next lesson.

Always show up to the lessons prepared. If you're given a reading assignment, know the contents cold when you show up. Your instructor will do a short review to ensure you know it. By being prepared, you won't waste time covering information you should already know.

Chair fly frequently: Sit in a chair and visualize doing all the steps you necessary to do the preflight, taxi out, radio and flight control setup, runup, take off, en route, descent, and land. Like the students in the image below. Doing this helps create brain, muscle memory, and correct flows for safe and successful flying.

As others said, welcome to your new obsession!!!

Attachments

• Students.jpg
    Students.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 15
Welcome aboard Naren.

It's never to late to start learning anything, and what better way to spend some "me" time then in an airplane.

I'm new here as well, 56, and just started training 2 months ago. I finished paying for college, paid off the house, have a happy supportive wife of 32 years (key word HAPPY), and decided it was time to fulfill my dream. :thumbsup:

Look into booking a demo flight with a few different schools that you think might be interested in. In my research, I found most schools fly C152's that are almost as old as me. The school I chose has newer (2006) Alarus planes with modern avionics, and are very well maintained.

Get the medical out of the way. Shouldn't be a big deal for you. I had no problem even though I take meds for high BP.

Good luck, and enjoy the ride.

A word on the Cessna 150/152's that are as old as he is... Don't count them out for flight training. Well maintained, they will do as good of a job as the newer, fancier trainers, but with a rental rate that may be easier on the training budget. Glass panels are nice, but not a requirement for learning the basics.

A word on the Cessna 150/152's that are as old as he is... Don't count them out for flight training. Well maintained, they will do as good of a job as the newer, fancier trainers, but with a rental rate that may be easier on the training budget. Glass panels are nice, but not a requirement for learning the basics.

I know part of it may be that the flight school does not want to invest in new glass panel planes, but all of their training planes are traditional six packs. They are also of the point of view (again maybe because they do not want to pay for it) that learning on a six pack and then switching to glass is easier than the other way around. Furthermore, since most used planes which you may eventually buy are the traditional setup, learn what you are most likely to end up owning. Learn to fly the old way, with the basics, good stick and rudder, and good pilotage, then worry about the fancy gizmos. With that said, I can't wait to get behind a glass panel and try one out.

If cost is an issue and you can fit in the you should be liking at light sport first - get there in half the time and add ppl later

Never too old to start. I just started 6 weeks ago at age 53 and am having a blast. Just solo'd this week and looking forward to the next phases of my training.

What town do you live in. If you are north of Boston, you might want to consider East Coast Aero. They fly out of Bedford, MA and Nashua, NH (my airport). They have top notch instructors.

Never too old. I passed the private ride at 49 and the IR ride at 59. Welcome and have fun!

Back