406 ELT

d.grimm

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
d.grimm
What’s the best 406 ELT that doesn’t require special test equipment for the ELT Annual Inspection?
Dave

All 406 ELTs need to be tested using special equipment. The signal requires a box to pick up the digital signal and interpret it. You can find a few beacon testers that are below $800.00. Not cheap unfortunately.

Good question.. Looks like there are services available to test the 406 ELT. Some are free some you subscribe to and cost $60 for the first test then $30 after that.

Maintenance facilities, especially who have avionic shops should have the test box. Typically costs around an hour of shop time.

Both my Artex ME-406 and ACK E-406 manuals require occasional self-testing by using the panel switch. ACK’s installation ICA requires a similar test annually with the ELT removed from the tray. No special equipment is required. The Artex ICA references a shielded room and 406 radiated signal test equipment. I guess the answer to the original question is ACK. TSOd, easy to enable with GPS, inexpensive, and favorable ICA.

Last edited:
IA Renewal class yesterday they talked that some ELT’s had a test function and some had to have special equipment. I wasn’t able to decipher the advertising
to determine which is which.
Dave

You must inspect the ELT annually per FAR 91.207. With this inspection you must make sure your remote switch works and the inertia module works as well. A test box must be used for these to gauge signal strength and correct signals.
Activating the remote switch and hearing the beep will not suffice.

Read part 10 in the ACK E-406 manual. The FARs specify what is required but not how to perform the test. All a guy can do is refer to his approved ELT’s ICA.

http://www.ackavionics.com/pdf/E-04_REV_1.7_SINGLE_PAGE_REDUCED.pdf

(d) Each emergency locator transmitter required by paragraph (a) of this section must be inspected within 12 calendar months after the last inspection for—

(1) Proper installation;

(2) Battery corrosion;

(3) Operation of the controls and crash sensor; and

(4) The presence of a sufficient signal radiated from its antenna.

The question is, how does one truly test the presence of a sufficient signal radiated through its antenna? What is sufficient and and how does one determine it?

Follow the manufacturer’s instructions.

Exactly. The FAA approved the manufacturer's ICA. As an aside, the ACK unit has self-diagnositics for a number of faults, including inadequate radiated signal (beep code when you hit the test button).

The ACK annual ICA include how to physically test the G switch function. It's in the link I posted above. Chapter 10.

What is the typical installation cost for a 406 ELT?

What’s the best 406 ELT that doesn’t require special test equipment for the ELT Annual Inspection?
Dave
Only 406 ELTs under C reg in Canada require the special test equipment. As stated above, all 406 ELTs under N reg only require basic checks per 91.207 and OEM ICAs. And those ICAs specifically call out these separate requirements.

Only 406 ELTs under C reg in Canada require the special test equipment. As stated above, all 406 ELTs under N reg only require basic checks per 91.207 and OEM ICAs. And those ICAs specifically call out these separate requirements.

I believe this is the most accurate statement even tho US based members of the aircraft electronics association, radio technical commission for aeronautics, and et al, may disagree.

We certainly can send our USA ELTs out for the more in depth inspection tho. I think I'd be sending it back directly to the manufacturer if possible. That being said, these things seem a lot smarter than the old "dumb" ELTs, being able to report issues like high SWR, low battery power, and more.

Anyone else have an Artex ME-406? Read the manufacturer's instructions on that one. Then buy the ACK!

Back