3934V

Really you can.
many of the old restored classics are running a new N with the old big numbers on the wings.

My plane has the original large Royal Air Force letters and numbers under the wings. My N number is very small at the rear of the fuselage. I like the look of the large numbers on the wings.

The 1948 170s (what Tom's is) left the factory with 3" N numbers on the tail and 20" numbers on the wings.

Probably not so much.

54f118d4a0549ed71a43c4f2fa8fda80.jpg

Got a reference for that ?

George Horn.

As far as the exact measurements, he says they are in the original Cessna drawings, which I do not have. For the non-170 folks, George is our tech/maintenance rep for the 170 Association.

I'll have to dig around, but I did find some original photos of '48s with wing numbers when I was having mine painted. I chose to omit the wing numbers on mine since the metalized wing on mine wasn't going to garner any originality awards.

Last edited:
Tough to say for sure, but it looks like there could be numbers on the bottom of the left wing in that ad.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes I'm an A&P with Inspection Authorization, and a few other things to some folks here. I do all my own work and only farm out the stuff that require expensive machine tooling, or stuff that other folks are better trained to do like interiors.

Today I finished the assembly of the cowling, and some nip picking stuff and took a couple picture as it is 99.99% done. I still must run the engine fix what I find in doing so, make a compass rose run, and get it weighed again full of fuel.

Attachments

• 20140218_122715.jpg
    20140218_122715.jpg
    453.2 KB · Views: 142
  • 20140218_122729.jpg
    20140218_122729.jpg
    447.9 KB · Views: 57
  • 20140218_122820.jpg
    20140218_122820.jpg
    480.5 KB · Views: 51
George Horn.

As far as the exact measurements, he says they are in the original Cessna drawings, which I do not have. For the non-170 folks, George is our tech/maintenance rep for the 170 Association.

I'll have to dig around, but I did find some original photos of '48s with wing numbers when I was having mine painted. I chose to omit the wing numbers on mine since the metalized wing on mine wasn't going to garner any originality awards.

I was curious as to where you got that info, not many know this, George is the only one I know who has the loftings of the number arrangement. That is why his 170-B won the best original 170

Tom, not wanting to kiss-up too much, but that is just plain beautiful.

I don't get up that way often, but if you fly down this direction be sure to post, I'd love to see that plane in person. What a beautiful bird.
Sidney FW Vancouver WA

Tom When you rebuild something like that are you able to get a zero time certificate on the airframe? Or is that something to expensive?
Sidney FW

Tom When you rebuild something like that are you able to get a zero time certificate on the airframe? Or is that something to expensive?
Sidney FW
There is no such thing as a zero time for airframes.

Other than simply calling it overhauled. It would still have a total time since new.

I did start new log books for both the engine and airframe.

Tom Are you going to fly and have fun with this plane, is it going to be for sale at some point? Or do you plan to keep it?
Sidney FW

being ignorant, your plane looks pretty complete to me. how much longer until you're flying around in it?

being ignorant, your plane looks pretty complete to me. how much longer until you're flying around in it?
I still have some things to tweak, and finish. I ran it today idle needs to be turned up (450 RPM), idle mixture needs to be leaned out, (250 RPM Rise) and the left fuel tank needs to be removed for a leak/repair.

I still have some things to tweak, and finish. I ran it today idle needs to be turned up (450 RPM), idle mixture needs to be leaned out, (250 RPM Rise) and the left fuel tank needs to be removed for a leak/repair.

That sucks....:eek:

That sucks....:eek:

Yep, I don't know what happened, but the leak is in the tank compartment. I turned the fuel selector to the right tank and drained the left. it will have to wait until I have time to deal with it.

That's a bitchkitty. Would sloshing it do anything? Is the leak at the drain? At the fuel pipe?

Jim

I'd consider sloshing it, if I could find a way to roll the aircraft around in both directions like an empty tank.

I'll pull the tank, and fix it proper.

I'd consider sloshing it, if I could find a way to roll the aircraft around in both directions like an empty tank.

Do you have to redo the fabric, or are the tanks designed so you can take them out from the top? Never paid any attention to the top of the wings on one.

Do you have to redo the fabric, or are the tanks designed so you can take them out from the top? Never paid any attention to the top of the wings on one.

It will require a large piece of fabric be removed, from the top of the front spar to the top of the rear spar out 3 bays.
after the repair that will be replaced, recoated.

Metal wings (49 and on) have metal covers over the tanks that can be removed.

A bit of tumbling aerobatics should do.;)

^A Cessna 170 is as aerobatic as my 'attached at the wrist hand showing you how do do aerobatics. Go ahead, try it! :)

^A Cessna 170 is as aerobatic as my 'attached at the wrist hand showing you how do do aerobatics. Go ahead, try it! :)

Not in my aircraft.

I don't think I'd like to go flying with a gooey mess in my fuel tank.

Aww, c'mon. No sense of adventure? What could possibly go wrong? :yikes:
I got the Hennings humor. But the question is, why would I slosh the tank when I don't know where it is leaking?

Metal wings (49 and on) have metal covers over the tanks that can be removed.

And, as I vaguely recall, eleventy million rivets with much cursing and swearing replacing them with no way to buck them with the tank in place.

Jim

Back