360 degree view of Air Koryo Ilyushin cockpit

Wow, they really are like Klingons...

Cockpit right out of the 60's. Very cool.

I like the cockpit door lock, I think I've seen one of those on an outhouse.

Several years ago I flew on an Air Koryo IL-62. Old Soviet stuff isn't all it's cracked up to be. ;)

Several years ago I flew on an Air Koryo IL-62. Old Soviet stuff isn't all it's cracked up to be. ;)

I haven't been on an Ilyushin. I did fly on a Tupolev Tu-154 in the Soviet Union. It was fast!

And I was glad it was fast, because there was just one lav, which was out of order -- some strangely colored fluid was leaking from under its door onto the aisle carpet.

That lav was representative of how things were in the Soviet Union -- most stuff that a tourist saw in the country superficially looked like its western counterpart, except that it was shabby and barely functioning, or not functioning at all.

The aisle carpet, by the way, was not tacked down in that Tupolev. In fact, it was twisted, so that it was a tripping hazard. When the flight attendants pushed their rusty cart down the aisle, they had to pick up one end of the cart then the other, to get the cart over the twists in the carpet.

Because of that experience, I was interested to see the carpet in the Air Koryo photo in the OP. Its carpet actually looks decent! Say what you will about North Korea, they've improved on the USSR in at least that one way.

Back