337 Required for VFR GPS installation?

Hello Checkout. I’ve printed all manuals (using 20 pound paper, strongly dislike the flimsy stuff). All manuals properly bound for ease of use. I’m looking more for FAA approval and certification but welcome all comments and information .
Mike

Hello Tom-D, at this point I’m collecting information, not sure I have assembled enough to form a belief.
Mike

I am familiar with AC 43-210A Chg 1 (familiar doesn’t mean working knowledge thereof).
Where this AC could come into play is in relation to your decision to go with a VFR or IFR installation. In general, most VFR installations are considered a minor alteration and usually all IFR installations are considered a major alteration. The difference between a minor and major alteration is former only requires acceptable data and the latter requires approved data. 43-210 defines this in more detail. So if you go the IFR route and your APIA cannot find any existing approved data or cannot obtain permission to use existing approved data like an STC then he would use the process in 43-210 to obtain his own approved data. Unfortunately, per other FAA guidance the approval of IFR navigation systems is usually beyond the scope of an IA and FSDO. Given Garmin usually issues an STC (approved data) with their equipment, if your plan is to go IFR then obtaining the Garmin data package and STC permission would be the path to take and I'm sure is the one your APIA will only attempt... but that is only a guess.

This really isn't that complicated, despite some of the more abstract comments about approval methods, etc. That's all fine and good from an academic perspective, but let's be practical (and helpful) here:

If you want to install the unit VFR-only, there's plenty of guidance that it's a minor alteration/logbook entry only. There are some exceptions to that (like pressurized airplanes), but those don't apply to your 182. If your A&P/IA doesn't want to follow that guidance, find a new A&P to sign it off. That said, if you have an IFR-capable unit, I think it's really shortsighted to install it VFR-only.

If you want to install the unit as IFR-capable, there are two routes: AML-STC or field approval. The non-WAAS Garmin 430/530 doesn't have an AML-STC, so you'll be doing it via field approval. There are no other practical methods for approval. The field approval process isn't hard, but different FAA inspectors will have different pet peeves in terms of the forms and wording. If you follow Garmin's manuals for the details of the install, it's little more than a paperwork exercise on the 337 and AFMS (which Garmin provides a sample of). That said, because it involves back and forth with the FAA, you're going to find a lot of shops just don't want to do it. If you're installing a 430W or 530W, the 182 is on the AML-STC and it can be signed off by an A&P/IA under a 337, no FAA involvement necessary. Garmin's install manual(s) grant broad permission to use the STC data.

Back