337 questions

farmrjohn

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
farmrjohn
In looking through the log books and aircraft records, the log book has an entry from 11-6-93 stating "see 337" but there is not a 337 in the records or on the FAA CD. That entry was for the installation of an alternator, regulator, and volt/amp meter. The engine was subsequently replaced due to the Chevron fueling incident on the west coast so I don't know if it's the same alternator and regulator, but the volt/amp meter is still installed in the plane.

Also, there are two 337s in the aircraft records that are not on the FAA CD, dated 11-17-89 and 10-27-15.

How do I go about cleaning up the paperwork/records?

You’re going to get a lot of answers here, mainly from people who are not mechanics, on how to fix this. Take it with a grain of salt.

As a mechanic and IA I don’t think anyone is going to be able to accurately advise, with only what you’ve told us. I’d want to see all the paperwork you have first before determining a course of action. So your best bet is to sit down with your IA and do whatever he suggests to make it right.

In looking through the log books and aircraft records, the log book has an entry from 11-6-93 stating "see 337" but there is not a 337 in the records or on the FAA CD. That entry was for the installation of an alternator, regulator, and volt/amp meter. The engine was subsequently replaced due to the Chevron fueling incident on the west coast so I don't know if it's the same alternator and regulator, but the volt/amp meter is still installed in the plane.

Also, there are two 337s in the aircraft records that are not on the FAA CD, dated 11-17-89 and 10-27-15.

How do I go about cleaning up the paperwork/records?

Was this plane originally equipped with a generator? There may have been manufacture approval for this modification (service kit), or STC and a 337 was not filed because it was not required. Start there.

Last edited:
One question down, only 336 to go.

:p
Ha, good one.

I don't have an IA lined up yet for the annual that is due 02-19 so am trying to get the paperwork as squared away as possible in advance. These are potential "gotchas" that an untrained owner has found. I am looking to fill a salt shaker or two with the grains of salt.

The original engine was a C-90 with a generator which was replaced with the alternator and regulator per the log entry. There is no STC in the records for the alternator or regulator but is one for the volt/amp meter (SA2693NM), and the form 337 referred to also is not in the records. I don't know if that same alternator was installed on the replacement O-200 in 1994, the log entries and 337 for that installation don't indicate any of the accessories, just the engine was a zero timed rebuild from Continental.

Ha, good one.

I don't have an IA lined up yet for the annual that is due 02-19 so am trying to get the paperwork as squared away as possible in advance. These are potential "gotchas" that an untrained owner has found. I am looking to fill a salt shaker or two with the grains of salt.

The original engine was a C-90 with a generator which was replaced with the alternator and regulator per the log entry. There is no STC in the records for the alternator or regulator but is one for the volt/amp meter (SA2693NM), and the form 337 referred to also is not in the records. I don't know if that same alternator was installed on the replacement O-200 in 1994, the log entries and 337 for that installation don't indicate any of the accessories, just the engine was a zero timed rebuild from Continental.

Jeezus what a mess. I think your best bet is documenting the current config and getting a field approval unless you can find an STC and conform it to that.. That means everything, down to ensuring the cables are actually appropriately sized for the charging system.

first thing that comes to mind is a C-90 being replaced by a O-200. the only two ways that I know of doing that is 1: a STC or 2: it was originally TCed with both engines. if it was an STC the first step is to go through the STC and find out what is contained in the STC for what is to be in the plane. not knowing what type of plane it is I have no idea what the STC calls out. I have a STC to put a O200 on a 7ac and there is a lot of things that must be changed. if it was an STC there needs to be a 337 for the STC install. if it was TCed with both engines, then a check to see what is approved for the TC. then, figure out what is non-conforming and how to fix that. after that its up to you and an IA to either find an STC for whats on it, or get a field approval make it legal.

bob

Email, don't call the local FSDO. Mine helped me with similar issue regarding paperwork on clients airplanes. If anyone in OK had issues with what was done I had the emails to show the FSDO instructions on how to proceed.

first thing that comes to mind is a C-90 being replaced by a O-200. the only two ways that I know of doing that is 1: a STC or 2: it was originally TCed with both engines. if it was an STC the first step is to go through the STC and find out what is contained in the STC for what is to be in the plane. not knowing what type of plane it is I have no idea what the STC calls out. I have a STC to put a O200 on a 7ac and there is a lot of things that must be changed. if it was an STC there needs to be a 337 for the STC install. if it was TCed with both engines, then a check to see what is approved for the TC. then, figure out what is non-conforming and how to fix that. after that its up to you and an IA to either find an STC for whats on it, or get a field approval make it legal.

bob
The engine change itself doesn't appear to be an issue. It's for an Alon A2and has a 337 that was signed off based on an STC (SA2628WE) as acceptable data for an Ercoupe model D conversion the the O-200. That Form 337 is on the FAA CD and in the records, but I don't know if the alternator was included with the new engine, and if so, did the installers use the preexisting alternator and regulator. The airplane records have two different alternators in the receipts from that period. That would still leave the Electronics International VA-1 volt/amp gauge without a form 337 from 11-6-93 but with an STC.

The 337 from 11-17-89 was for an ACK blind encoder, Narco X-ponder, Brackett Spinner, Whelan Strobe, and Brackett air filter. Those are all still installed except for the Narco X-ponder. The 337 from 10-27-15 replaced the Narco X-ponder and the comm radio. Neither of these 337s are on the FAA CD.

I don't have an IA lined up yet for the annual
Regardless you'll need one to fix this problem. Use this situation to find the right AP/IA for you.

Paperwork issues are very common. But good on you for finding them and trying to fix them.

Last edited:
The engine change itself doesn't appear to be an issue. It's for an Alon A2and has a 337 that was signed off based on an STC (SA2628WE) as acceptable data for an Ercoupe model D conversion the the O-200. That Form 337 is on the FAA CD and in the records, but I don't know if the alternator was included with the new engine, and if so, did the installers use the preexisting alternator and regulator. The airplane records have two different alternators in the receipts from that period. That would still leave the Electronics International VA-1 volt/amp gauge without a form 337 from 11-6-93 but with an STC.

The 337 from 11-17-89 was for an ACK blind encoder, Narco X-ponder, Brackett Spinner, Whelan Strobe, and Brackett air filter. Those are all still installed except for the Narco X-ponder. The 337 from 10-27-15 replaced the Narco X-ponder and the comm radio. Neither of these 337s are on the FAA CD.

now we have a few specifics, the type cert for the engine (e-252) does not specify the accessories. so an alternator or generator must be covered by the type certificate of the airframe. (a-787) that calls out three delco remy generators that can be installed. so, to install a alternator it must be done either through a STC or a field approval. plane power does have an STC for the ercoupe, but I dont know if it covers the engine conversion, but they will work with people to get field approvals for other installs, and along with SA1009NE it should give the IA the data he/she needs to get a field approval for the install.

since the VA-1 is stc'ed, if no 337 exixts, all it will take is an IA to inspect it to make sure it is installed according to the STC and file the paperwork.

installing a tso radio does not need a 337 unless structural modification is need to the panel.

bob

now we have a few specifics, the type cert for the engine (e-252) does not specify the accessories. so an alternator or generator must be covered by the type certificate of the airframe. (a-787) that calls out three delco remy generators that can be installed. so, to install a alternator it must be done either through a STC or a field approval. plane power does have an STC for the ercoupe, but I dont know if it covers the engine conversion, but they will work with people to get field approvals for other installs, and along with SA1009NE it should give the IA the data he/she needs to get a field approval for the install.

since the VA-1 is stc'ed, if no 337 exixts, all it will take is an IA to inspect it to make sure it is installed according to the STC and file the paperwork.

installing a tso radio does not need a 337 unless structural modification is need to the panel.

bob
Thanks for the clarification. An alternator had been installed prior to the engine swap and is documented in the logbook with this entry: 11-6-93 "installed alternator regulator & volt/amp meter ref 337 this date" I can't read the signature but it was done by an AP/IA. Unfortunately the referred to 337 is not in the aircraft records or on the CD so I don't know if it was a field approval or via an STC. If it was via STC that information is also not in the records. Do FSDOS keep records of their field approvals? Perhaps I could track it down that way. I'm trying to get as up to speed as possible prior to getting together with an IA.

Do FSDOS keep records of their field approvals?
No. Those records are forwarded to Oak City.

I'm trying to get as up to speed as possible prior to getting together with an IA.
FWIW: Sometimes it's better to get "up to speed" right along with your IA. He may see something you don't from a mx perspective that takes you on a different track than the one you are pursuing now.

Back