2nd weekend in a row TFRd by Trump :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry to break it to you, but this weekend isn't looking too great either...

VIP Notice- Palm Beach, FL (02/17-02/20)
Notice Number: NOTC7044

I'm sure you can always argue there wasn't a TFR, as an alternative fact.

Last edited:
thrust vectoring

Nope, they only use TV when at really high aoa; it's automatically scheduled, but not really used in slow/level flight. They can fly pretty slow due to thrust-to-weight and their fly by wire system. Mostly it's fuel weight for all of us; we can all slow down to around 150kias in level flight if we're light weight.

Interesting that they are using Raptors now instead of F16s..... The Raptor seems to be able to fly slower with out the gear and flaps hanging out for drag.

They've been splitting up the VULs, there have been 15Cs, 15Es, 16s, and 22's so far. They are trying to spread the pain instead of crushing one or two wings every weekend.

Funny, AOPA didn't get all wound up when Obama tied up the Vineyard for two weeks every summer...

Last edited:
I have had to deal with the MVY TFR every summer for years. Flying between the inner and outer ring is no big deal. I'm not instrument rated so I just file a VFR flight plan and get on flight following. If departing from a towered airport within the outer ring then ground will arrange flight following and give you a code, even if they usually don't and expect you to pick it up in the air from approach. If departing a non-towered field in the outer ring then call clearance delivery before takeoff. Fortunately with the MVY TFR, only the Vineyard itself and water are within the inner ring.

Funny, AOPA didn't get all wound up when Obama tied up the Vineyard for two weeks every summer...
Let's see. One is a rather isolated island with limited traffic for two weeks a year. The other is starting to look like every other weekend for the next four years in a location with a number of impacted airports.

So 14 days a year with one impacted airport vs. 50 days a year impacting 2 airports.

Let's see. One is a rather isolated island with limited traffic for two weeks a year. The other is starting to look like every other weekend for the next four years in a location with a number of impacted airports.

So 14 days a year with one impacted airport vs. 50 days a year impacting 2 airports.
Two weeks in the middle of peak season.

And we don't know how often the president will be in FL. It's only been a month.

I have had to deal with the MVY TFR every summer for years. Flying between the inner and outer ring is no big deal. I'm not instrument rated so I just file a VFR flight plan and get on flight following. If departing from a towered airport within the outer ring then ground will arrange flight following and give you a code, even if they usually don't and expect you to pick it up in the air from approach. If departing a non-towered field in the outer ring then call clearance delivery before takeoff. Fortunately with the MVY TFR, only the Vineyard itself and water are within the inner ring.
This. It's really not that big of a deal. Just file a flight plan. People fly in and out of the D.C. SFRA and FRZ all the time without any issues.

The outer ring of the MVY TFR does cover a part of main-land Massachusetts and quite a few airports.

The outer ring of the MVY TFR does cover a part of main-land Massachusetts and quite a few airports.
If you didn't originate at one of the covered airports, I believe you have to land short at a "gateway" and get vetted before continuing.

Two weeks in the middle of peak season.

And we don't know how often the president will be in FL. It's only been a month.
You're missing the point.
How many operations were impacted in those two weeks in Martha's Vineyard? Are there any flight schools there? How about aircraft rentals?

In Florida, one the impacted airports (inside the 10-mile ring) has a flight school and aircraft rentals.

And while it's only been a month, so far there have been at least two trips down. So if you use that as an indicator, that's why AOPA is doing what they're doing.

No, I'm not missing the point, and I know what is really prompting the complaints.

If you didn't originate at one of the covered airports, I believe you have to land short at a "gateway" and get vetted before continuing.
You only need to land at one of the three gateway airports and be vetted by the TSA if you plan on actually flying to MVY airport. You also need to be vetted by the TSA at MVY before departing.

You only need to land at one of the three gateway airports and be vetted by the TSA if you plan on actually flying to MVY airport. You also need to be vetted by the TSA at MVY before departing.
Right. So that doesn't impact operations at MVY? It doesn't affect someone who just wants to fly in for the day?
TFRs are an unnecessary nuisance regardless of who is being "protected." GA is still being blamed for 911 over 16 years later.

Right. So that doesn't impact operations at MVY? It doesn't affect someone who just wants to fly in for the day?
TFRs are an unnecessary nuisance regardless of who is being "protected." GA is still being blamed for 911 over 16 years later.
If someone wants to fly into MVY for the day they would need to make an appointment with the TSA at least 24 hours ahead of time at either Westchester, Providence, or Hynannis airport, land there, and have their plane searched by the TSA. Then they could fly straight to MVY. To leave they would also need to have made an appointment with the TSA at least 24 hours ahead of time to be searched by the TSA at MVY.

It was a huge hassle to fly to MVY during the TFR and I never bothered. I did fly into Nantucket which is in the outer ring and it was a piece of cake.

what if i fly a non electric vintage taildragger with no radio or transponder .answer i cant fly or take off anywhere in the 30 mile ring on my weekends off for like 2 years.

what if i fly a non electric vintage taildragger with no radio or transponder .answer i cant fly or take off anywhere in the 30 mile ring on my weekends off for like 2 years.
Yup. That would suck.

Didn't quote the TFR, but we rarely get one (Thank God!). When we do, our area over-responds by completely shutting down. In my area, a TFR over KELP or Biggs basically closes all E-W traffic within 150 miles due to the WSMS restricted space. My field was at the edge of the TFR and I needed transition for a trip, and they refused even when explained the outer ring with them by phone. They use the "work load permitting" clause to completely lock down:eek::confused:

They've been splitting up the VULs, there have been 15Cs, 15Es, 16s, and 22's so far. They are trying to spread the pain instead of crushing one or two wings every weekend.

What no A-10s or AC-130s yet? Or are they too slow? ;)

Yeah that's why I have my own plane, so I can deal with TSA.
Flying in the inner ring is a huge hassle and probably not worth it. Flying between the inner and outer ring is no big deal unless you don't have a transponder.

I can already read the next article heading: AOPA meets with security officials -- "TFRs to be mitigated with 4 years -- BIG WIN FOR AVIATION" ala Santa Monica

Maybe not. There was very reasonable compromise made over the Trump Tower TFR. It went from shutting down the Hudson flyway to causing no inconvenience at all.

Word has it Trump will be in WPB almost every weekend for the next few months.

I flew Saturday and Sunday last weekend without issue (out of F45).

Talk to Little Marco and tell him to peruse Article 4 ofthe 25th Amendment? That would take care of it :) Then let Indiana deal with it !!

Talk to Little Marco and tell him to peruse Article 4 ofthe 25th Amendment? That would take care of it :) Then let Indiana deal with it !!
Too bad McCain lost.

Marco could do nothing in regards to the 25th amendment. That would be up to the Veep and the Cabinet.

If the other one won. then everyone would be bitching about the shutdown of HPN.

Bottom line, support AOPA's efforts to kill these idiotic, ineffective TFRs.

It could be argued that bringing up TFR impact on businesses now makes sense, since the current president is at least nominally pro-business.

Last edited:
Marco could do nothing in regards to the 25th amendment. That would be up to the Veep and the Cabinet.
He could help apply presure on the cabinet, him and others

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back