2023 NOTAM

This will be my first time flying in since 2019. How long did it take for the N40 to fill up last year?

Last year we got there Saturday around 11:30am. Ended up by the hole in the wall.
There was tons of room over by the red shower building, but they earmarked about 30 acres for the 1.2 million Cessna mass arrival planes coming later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My paint job looks better going faster.

“Faster aircraft use 135 knots and 2,300’if
needed for safety of flight”

Staying away from you feels safer :)

I’ll be on the turbine/warbird arrival, so you’ll be fine. :)

If someone…..not me but definitely someone…was flying the 2300’ 135kts route, at what point to they descend?
They addressed this in the EAA Webinar:
“Webinar- Tips for Flying Into EAA AirVenture 2023
June 15, 2023”

https://www.eaa.org/Videos/Webinars/EAA-Programs/6329485877112

If I recall correctly, They said to keep altitude until told at Fisk, presenter said it was because the controllers at Fisk “have eyes on you, and can tell you when/how to descend into the sequence”. With a warning “do not descend into the other pattern” on your own.

they also said something like “don’t be up there flying 130 pattern just because you can, we see you in the RV and we know you could fly 90” seems like mainly it is for multi engine aircraft.

This will be my first time flying in since 2019. How long did it take for the N40 to fill up last year?
In 2022, I arrived about 10:30 on Sunday, and got Parked near the departure end of 27 / begin of 09 near the last bath house on the south side. Only a short walk from the Red Market. Keep in mind that was driven by the weather: there were storm the night before, and field was IFR until that time in the morning.

I got lucky and got an IFR Clearance to land RNAV 27, just as the Arrival ATIS changed from IFR to VFR and the whole mess of people holding at Endeavor came-in.

it seems like it would have been more full if the weather had allowed it. It started to fill up “around the corner” to the north side of 27/09 sometime after I arrived.

On the Fisk arrival (expecting Saturday 22nd) _if_ they gave me a choice 36/18 or RWY 27, which should I chose and why?
Which would I request to maximize my chance of placement in the North 40 ?

I'll have the "N" sign with me, I hope its not too full on Saturday, even if I have to arrive later in the day.
Thoughts / suggestions ?
If you want to be in the North 40, 9/27 is better because, well, it's right there.
You don’t get to choose your runway. The controllers at Fisk do that for sequencing as they attempt to balance the arrival loads for not only all of the VFR traffic but the Warbirds, Turbine, and IFR arrivals which are coming in at the same time from the East side of the airport. When you arrive at Fisk you will be told to either continue to follow the railroad tracks for 9-27 or to make a right turn and follow Fisk Ave for 18-36. The runway you get will have no bearing on where you park.

As for North 40, it won’t be full on Saturday the 22nd. And don’t forget it’s 2 Signs (a GAC sign for GA aircraft camping plus an N sign to request North 40 vs South 40).
I've often been offered a choice of runway, and in the times I've sat at Fisk and watched the controllers, they seem to offer almost any time that they have enough time to.

It should go without saying that you NEVER EVER ASK. If they don't offer, they don't have time for you to ask.
If someone…..not me but definitely someone…was flying the 2300’ 135kts route, at what point to they descend?
After Fisk.
They tell you. Don’t descend till they tell you
The NOTAM no longer specifically says so, but it used to specify that you descend to 1800 after crossing Fisk, and that has been the expectation every time I've flown the high arrival. Nobody has ever told me when to descend, nor have I heard that on frequency. If they're telling you, they think you forgot.

Back