2023 NOTAM

So we will be making up the Portage entry on the fly again this year.

Anybody find the link to get one mailed?

Anybody find the link to get one mailed?

I don't see it on their website yet, but their Facebook posts says there will be one. They also say you can call member services at 800-564-6322 and order one.

Y'all hang up so I can get through and get my printed copy.

Edit: yeah, call that number and ask for a printed copy. They are mailing them out on request. Mine's on the way.

I simply downloaded it and printed out. So I have both electronic and printed versions right now-- no waiting required.

Yeah, but I like that nice little book, all neatly bound. I could print and collate it the same way myself, but it'd never be as nice, and I don't think my stapler has enough reach. And I'm lazy.

Frankly I'm amazed they still mail them. Has to cost a fortune with the price of postage. They ought to give the option to include one with your wristbands if you pre- purchase.

Yeah, but I like that nice little book, all neatly bound. I could print and collate it the same way myself, but it'd never be as nice, and I don't think my stapler has enough reach. And I'm lazy.

Frankly I'm amazed they still mail them. Has to cost a fortune with the price of postage. They ought to give the option to include one with your wristbands if you pre- purchase.

I like the booklet for my shrine to Airventure

Screenshot_1.jpg

Hmmm, so far I've noticed:
1. the Fond du Lac diversion procedure was removed (as noted)
2. they've not updated the Large Formation Arrivals info on page 8 to include the Cessnas to Oshkosh mass arrival that's been moved to sometime Friday.

The webinar is scheduled as well.
"Tips for Flying Into EAA AirVenture 2023"
WEDNESDAY, JUNE 14, AT 7 P.M. CDT
Presenter: Fred Stadler | Qualifies for FAA WINGS credit.
Register › HERE

Last edited:
Hmmm, so far I've noticed:
1. the Fond du Lac diversion procedure was removed (as noted)
2. they've not updated the Large Formation Arrivals info on page 8 to include the Cessnas to Oshkosh mass arrival that's been moved to sometime Friday.

The webinar is scheduled as well.
"Tips for Flying Into EAA AirVenture 2023"
WEDNESDAY, JUNE 14, AT 7 P.M. CDT
Presenter: Fred Stadler | Qualifies for FAA WINGS credit.
Register › HERE

They also added a VFR Transition through Chicago Approach page.

And this little gem:
Optional: GAP and GAC may place an additional sign with N or S to request North 40 or South 40. THESE REQUESTS ARE NOT GUARANTEED

And this little gem:
Optional: GAP and GAC may place an additional sign with N or S to request North 40 or South 40. THESE REQUESTS ARE NOT GUARANTEED

"BUT MY SIGN SAYS 'N'!!!! THERE'S NO WAY I'M GOING TO THE SOUTH END AND YOU CAN'T MAKE ME! WHERE'S YOUR MANAGER!?"

Last year was the first time they put me in the South 40. This year I got an Airbnb.

My sign said vintage. They said You can park one town over

So you've volunteered at Oshkosh before? :)

Negative. I would not survive in that environment very long at all. For as 'smart' as we pilots think we are for being able to fly airplanes, we sure are 'dumb' a lot of the time. And I have a short fuse for stupidity.

On the Fisk arrival (expecting Saturday 22nd) _if_ they gave me a choice 36/18 or RWY 27, which should I chose and why?
Which would I request to maximize my chance of placement in the North 40 ?

I'll have the "N" sign with me, I hope its not too full on Saturday, even if I have to arrive later in the day.
Thoughts / suggestions ?

On the Fisk arrival (expecting Saturday 22nd) _if_ they gave me a choice 36/18 or RWY 27, which should I chose and why?

I'll have the "N" sign with me, I hope its not too full on Saturday, even if I have to arrive later in the day.
Thoughts / suggestions ?
It often doesn’t matter but can’t hurt to try. I park vintage and have landed 36 only to have the marshalers direct everyone into the conga line heading towards the north 40.

Thoughts / suggestions ?
You don’t get to choose your runway. The controllers at Fisk do that for sequencing as they attempt to balance the arrival loads for not only all of the VFR traffic but the Warbirds, Turbine, and IFR arrivals which are coming in at the same time from the East side of the airport. When you arrive at Fisk you will be told to either continue to follow the railroad tracks for 9-27 or to make a right turn and follow Fisk Ave for 18-36. The runway you get will have no bearing on where you park.

As for North 40, it won’t be full on Saturday the 22nd. And don’t forget it’s 2 Signs (a GAC sign for GA aircraft camping plus an N sign to request North 40 vs South 40).

I have had fun with the signs at Oskhosh. Since I park in a place where I also volunteer I showed up one year with a selection of signs:

"Why Can't I Park Here?"

"I Parked Here Last Year."

"I know Tom."

I generally keep a few simple ones like "THANK YOU" which is usually well received. I also have "YOU LOOK GOOD IN ORANGE" and "YOU LOOK GOOD IN PINK" for the marshallers and the FAA respectively. For departures, I use one that says "MVFR."

I have had fun with the signs at Oskhosh. Since I park in a place where I also volunteer I showed up one year with a selection of signs:

"Why Can't I Park Here?"

"I Parked Here Last Year."

"I know Tom."

I generally keep a few simple ones like "THANK YOU" which is usually well received. I also have "YOU LOOK GOOD IN ORANGE" and "YOU LOOK GOOD IN PINK" for the marshallers and the FAA respectively. For departures, I use one that says "MVFR."
I might just have to steal a few of those!

So we will be making up the Portage entry on the fly again this year.
Just to make sure I understand what might happen...
are you talking about how planes will line-up to the south, at Portage Municipal C47 ? then follow Highway 51 north to Endeavor Bridge ?
I saw this in a few other YouTube videos, this seems to be a common convention but its not strictly part of the NOTAM procedure ?

It’s not part of the arrival procedure. Regardless of which of the 4 transitions are in use (as directed in the Arrival ATIS) how you get to the transition in use is up to you and can result in a total free for all. If they are using the Endeavor Bridge transition, that means they are most likely traffic saturated. All the transitions do is move the merge chaos further from Fisk.

Just to make sure I understand what might happen...
are you talking about how planes will line-up to the south, at Portage Municipal C47 ? then follow Highway 51 north to Endeavor Bridge ?
I saw this in a few other YouTube videos, this seems to be a common convention but its not strictly part of the NOTAM procedure ?
Exactly that. The last few years there have been times they started asking aircraft to start at Portage.

It’s not part of the arrival procedure. Regardless of which of the 4 transitions are in use (as directed in the Arrival ATIS) how you get to the transition in use is up to you and can result in a total free for all. If they are using the Endeavor Bridge transition, that means they are most likely traffic saturated. All the transitions do is move the merge chaos further from Fisk.
That was my observation. If you can't get people to line up and MAINTAIN separation for the few miles from Ripon to Fisk to the Runway, asking them to start ten miles further back and expecting them to get it is wishful thinking.

At least this year they managed to get all the coordinates right. The first year they put that NOTAM out, the maps, the textual description, and the lat long all showed the start point in different place, with over a mile of difference in some cases.

That was my observation. If you can't get people to line up and MAINTAIN separation for the few miles from Ripon to Fisk to the Runway, asking them to start ten miles further back and expecting them to get it is wishful thinking.

At least this year they managed to get all the coordinates right. The first year they put that NOTAM out, the maps, the textual description, and the lat long all showed the start point in different place, with over a mile of difference in some cases.

Exactly -- one of the many reasons I switched to using the IFR arrival a number of years ago - waayyyyyy simpler and safer IMO.

You don’t get to choose your runway. The controllers at Fisk do that for sequencing as they attempt to balance the arrival loads for not only all of the VFR traffic but the Warbirds, Turbine, and IFR arrivals which are coming in at the same time from the East side of the airport. When you arrive at Fisk you will be told to either continue to follow the railroad tracks for 9-27 or to make a right turn and follow Fisk Ave for 18-36. The runway you get will have no bearing on where you park.

At least in my case I’ve been provided a runway option many times.

At least in my case I’ve been provided a runway option many times.

Great! My point is don't count on getting that option and the NOTAM doesn't lead you to believe that you will. My experience has been different than yours as I have always been directed and never asked which runway I preferred. If the traffic's light and they are offering the option, that's awesome, but I stand by my assertion that that's the exception and not the rule.

Last year was the first time they put me in the South 40. This year I got an Airbnb.

I was parked past the "Welcome to Fond du Lac" sign last year...second to last row from the south fence.

I haven't ever parked in the N40. For those who have done both, does everybody prefer the North?

I was parked past the "Welcome to Fond du Lac" sign last year...second to last row from the south fence.

I haven't ever parked in the N40. For those who have done both, does everybody prefer the North?
I'm curious as well. I parked in Vintage last time I was there which wasn't too far North of the South 40, but in a slightly newer plane this year and hope I can park in the N40 (probably saturday arrival around noon). I think the convenience of having some restaurants and Target and everything closer would be nice, but I've never personally camped there.

And you arrived on Sunday! I think I actually got footage of that. It was amazing how fast things filled up.

Last edited:
And you arrived on Sunday! I think I actually got footage of that. It was amazing how fact things filled up.

This will be my first time flying in since 2019. How long did it take for the N40 to fill up last year?

If someone…..not me but definitely someone…was flying the 2300’ 135kts route, at what point to they descend?

The upper level is meant for those who can’t do 90, not for those that can do 135. Just sayin’

My paint job looks better going faster.

“Faster aircraft use 135 knots and 2,300’if
needed for safety of flight”

Staying away from you feels safer :)

If someone…..not me but definitely someone…was flying the 2300’ 135kts route, at what point to they descend?
Usually after Fisk when they are assigned a runway.

Back