2015 Wings of Hope Raffle

Raffle is up! Get'cher tickets!

...or don't. I'll be flying around in my shiny 172 before you all know it! :goofy:

Whoever wins it I hope they get to really enjoy it. I'd like to see it go to a new pilot with a small family. Having wings has been a great way for us to enjoy traveling and get to place we would never go to begin with.

It is, but raffle tickets are specifically not tax deductible unless you are offsetting profit from gambling winnings.

http://info.legalzoom.com/nonprofit-raffle-ticket-donations-tax-deductible-24742.html

Email I got after buying my tickets:

Thank You Your generous donation to Wings of Hope is processed by Network for Good. Depending on your method of payment, your credit card or PayPal statement will show 'Network for Good' or the charity to which you donated. This receipt certifies that you have made this donation as a charitable contribution and that you are not receiving any goods or services in return. Your donation is tax deductible to the extent allowed by law.

You may save or print this receipt for your financial records. It may be useful to you when completing your tax return.

Whoever wins it I hope they get to really enjoy it. I'd like to see it go to a new pilot with a small family. Having wings has been a great way for us to enjoy traveling and get to place we would never go to begin with.

I agree with you. I would be the perfect person to win this year! ;) :yes: :D

Thank You Your generous donation to Wings of Hope is processed by Network for Good. Depending on your method of payment, your credit card or PayPal statement will show 'Network for Good' or the charity to which you donated. This receipt certifies that you have made this donation as a charitable contribution and that you are not receiving any goods or services in return. Your donation is tax deductible to the extent allowed by law.

You may save or print this receipt for your financial records. It may be useful to you when completing your tax return.

Sorry to be bearer of bad news, but there are a couple of tax cases that say the purchase of raffle tickets is not a charitable contribution, but merely is the price paid for a chance to obtain a valuable prize.

Goldman v Comm (1967, CA6) 21 AFTR2d 301
James F. Patterson (1987) TC Memo 1987-252

I'll just look at it as the cost of a $125/hour rental.

Sorry to be bearer of bad news, but there are a couple of tax cases that say the purchase of raffle tickets is not a charitable contribution, but merely is the price paid for a chance to obtain a valuable prize.

Fair enough. Just quoting what the e-mail said :yes:

Post your name here for rides in my new 172. Rides will be given in the order in which they are recieved.:D

Even the letter they sent me with the media release doesn't say that much... It quite literally says they leave taxes to you and suggests talking to a tax pro lol

Why did you wait so long?? I take nearly anyone that wants to go.

They were in another state. The wedding was the first time the plane and he were in reasonable proximity.

I agree with this thought...

Mostly because i fit it. Plane for cost of TAX would be a great way to celebrate finishing my PPL. Plus tuition money for more training. :yesnod:

Actually i'd be quite happy with the 2nd prize too.

For those who have already won/played before, about how long did it take to finish selling the tickets and announce the winner in previous years?

For those who have already won/played before, about how long did it take to finish selling the tickets and announce the winner in previous years?

Why you ask? You hope to be the first to ride in my 'new' 172.
I am going to win this thing. The rest of you are just blindly donating.

I have to win I am basing my entire retirement strategy on using this 172 as a leaseback for income. :D

Not long, they held the drawing shortly after the ticket sales were completed. If you'd like, I can probably put together a timeline. Unfortunately, they had issues getting ahold of me by phone, but I had an email less than a week after the official drawing. You could also fly to St. Louis to see the drawing in person if you really wanted to lol

TICKETING UPDATE: As of 5:00 pm yesterday 1826 tickets have been sold. This raffle could be sold out before the end of this month.

I just got three tixs.

Also entered the Cub and 172C raffle as well. Although I really want a Cherokee 6, I don't want a 6 cylinder overhaul as soon as I take delivery. 3100 SMOH? Seriously? So I'll pass on that one.

Well it must be a sign. Yesterday at the FBO at my home drome a plane landed due to a mechanical problem. The pilot happens to be a wings of hope ferry pilot shirt. What are the odds right. I said I'm glad you came early to see where to drop my plane off in a few weeks. He laughed it off..but c'mon really..what are the odds. Sorry guys it's mine!

Well it must be a sign. Yesterday at the FBO at my home drome a plane landed due to a mechanical problem. The pilot happens to be a wings of hope ferry pilot (he was wearing a wings of hope pilot shirt). What are the odds right. I said I'm glad you came early to see where to drop my plane off in a few weeks. He laughed it off..but c'mon really..what are the odds. Sorry guys it's mine!

Neat! Too bad it's gonna be pulled from tickets #36/37/38! The chances are 1:500 for me (2 prizes over 3 tickets out of 3000 chances). If you're nice enough I might give you a ride... :D

Win loose or draw, it all goes to a good cause. Please remember that guys.

I still haven't got my tickets yet..but I'm pretty sure they will be winners now.

Well it must be a sign. Yesterday at the FBO at my home drome a plane landed due to a mechanical problem. The pilot happens to be a wings of hope ferry pilot shirt. What are the odds right. I said I'm glad you came early to see where to drop my plane off in a few weeks. He laughed it off..but c'mon really..what are the odds. Sorry guys it's mine!

Any idea who it was? The ferry pilot who brought me mine (Don) was fantastic... even though we basically talked about airplane insurance the entire drive when I brought him to the other airport to fly home. I was wearing a company shirt that day and it turned out he had used our services before (we had donated services to WoH) and he had me go thank several folks personally for him. Would have taken him for a tour if we had more time.

Any idea who it was? The ferry pilot who brought me mine (Don) was fantastic... even though we basically talked about airplane insurance the entire drive when I brought him to the other airport to fly home. I was wearing a company shirt that day and it turned out he had used our services before (we had donated services to WoH) and he had me go thank several folks personally for him. Would have taken him for a tour if we had more time.

Never caught his name. He was an older gentleman. Very nice guy and got help immediately. He lost oil pressure and landed uneventfully. The block of the spin on oil filter had come loose. It was a 172, I wonder if its going to be next years plane?

Purchased my 3 this morning so we're still not quite to 3k tix.

BTW, I'm a new pilot with a young family that needs to travel. So, I guess everyone here is pulling for me, amirite?

What do we know about that Garmin GNC 300XL?

Tell you the truth I would be both thrilled and terrified to win. LOL

Getting closer, only 400 tickets left!!!!

Yup, they seemed to do fairly well really fast. Some of the other raffles are not as fortunate.

Back