2011 PoA Dinner Tuesday 7/26

Bummer. Sorry the trip went south.

In case you missed the note in the other thread, 79M went AOG after losing the ferrule on the left front cylinder's bottom plug wire today.

We left her in Nebraska and rented a car back to DEN not wanting to hang around in Nebraska until parts can be ordered and arrive, earliest by Tuesday morning. :(

Right now the whole OSH trip is doubtful and my ticket may have just become a "generous donation" to EAA. :( :( :(

Sorry I won't be able to make it. Tom may not even get up here this year. Y'all have fun! :)

Update: Jesse, airplane's at KLNK. Didn't hear from the A&P there today, don't know if he was able to order parts or not. Going to have to track that down tomorrow. Left a message, but he must have been busy.

Doug and I rented a car, drove back to DEN and re-grouped, left Den yesterday around 12PM-1PM, and drove straight through. Got to Scholler this morning at 07:45.

We're over near 12th and Cottonwood. Had dinner with Alan tonight after I "hit the wall" completely and slept for like five hours after walking around much of the mid-day.

Happy to be here! See you guys tomorrow night, perhaps?

Next phase of the adventure will be to go get the airplane home on the way back, but that's pretty easy since we have wheels. Doug can drop me off at KLNK and drive my Yukon on into DEN...

Just need to figure out the logistics of picking up the airplane on their day off there at the shop, which is no big deal.

For folks in the North 40, we're going to try and come over and pick you up. I'll make calls tomorrow when we get the logistics finalized.

I'm here and have a car. Cell 720-515-2526. Let me know if there's supply runs or personnel transport needed.

Alan

Grant, Leslie, and Mary
Tim
Flyer (Mike)
Troy
Gary F + 2 guests (1 is 13 yrs old)
Ron + 1
Lance Flynn & Tom (MSPAviator)
Lynn
Apache Bob
Steingar
Nate & Doug
Alan
Greg & Sharon Bockelman
Matt & Jo McCaughan?

Tim brought a table, and we just bought a table, as well as a 12qt stock put, because we'll be upsizing the recipes, and didn't think the pots we brought with would be large enough!

Nate, if you want to join your campsite with ours, feel free.

We're planning to start prep work around 4 and to serve dinner around 7. Feel free to come by early to visit, but you may be put to work!:D

Last edited:
Is anyone bringing some crusty French bread? That would go well with the jamalaya. Looks like we're at about 21 for dinner!:). If you have chairs, bring them!

Well, it was a GREAT party. We had all the people previously confirmed plus Kent, Lance Fisher, Jamie, John Clough, Mike's friend John, John from across the "street", Stu Stevenson, Pilot Bill, Adam Fast, Darrell, and a few others who's names escape me right now, but who were most welcome. A few arrived a couple hours late, but were still able at least to get some chili and desert.

GREAT THANKS are due to Leslie and Mary for all the work in putting this together. Further thanks to those who helped out with food, drinks, donations, and labor. This was truly a team effort! Special thanks to Tim for helping with provisions and transportation. I can tell you that throwing a party for 30 people in a campground is a challenge, and as a group we did an admirable job!

Now to prepare for tomorrow's storms! :yikes::yikes::yikes:

Last edited:
Many thanks to the Prellwitz clan for organizing such a terrific meal and social event! We had a great time.

To Greg and Sharon, for helping us finally answer the question of how many people can fit into a small car, and whose lap Lynn can sit on. Michael, have you found your missing hand and foot?

Tim, the ride back from that remote corner of Scholler to the North 40 was appreciated by me, Stan (my friend the ex-777 AA pilot) and Darrell (student pilot from Denver, likely to join POA as ChocolateDude, if I correctly recall the moniker selection committee's decision)... that trip saved some VERY tired feet!

Many thanks to the Prellwitz clan for organizing such a terrific meal and social event! We had a great time.

To Greg and Sharon, for helping us finally answer the question of how many people can fit into a small car, and whose lap Lynn can sit on. Michael, have you found your missing hand and foot?

Tim, the ride back from that remote corner of Scholler to the North 40 was appreciated by me, Stan (my friend the ex-777 AA pilot) and Darrell (student pilot from Denver, likely to join POA as ChocolateDude, if I correctly recall the moniker selection committee's decision)... that trip saved some VERY tired feet!
You're quite welcome. Regarding the location, we'd love to do a more central location. Any suggestions on how that could be accomplished are welcome! Anybody have a Caravan we can borrow to fly in with?:idea: as anyone who was there can attest, anything smaller just won't cut it!

I'll just add my thanks for a great party.

Congratulations, Grant! Not for putting on the party, any guy can handle that part of the deal. Convincing your wife and mother-in-law to sleep in a tent and do all the work is the part that requires the true genius. ;)

Knowing how much trouble I have just going through the chow-line at the Hangar Cafe or driving down to Wendt's for perch provides even more appreciation for your planning and execution of the event. Hope I can make it sometime.

Anybody find a pair of new sunglasses, blue lanyard, last night? I lost them somewhere last night. Call me if you find them, please! They were one day old! 817 seven six zero, 0202

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Anybody find a pair of new sunglasses, blue lanyard, last night? I lost them somewhere last night. Call me if you find them, please! They were one day old! 817 seven six zero, 0202

Tim found them! Thanks, Tim!

Grant and Leslie,

Thanks a heap! Best food I'll eat all week by a large margin, and great company too. :)

Some pictures from the gathering....

Attachments

• IMG_6607.jpg
    IMG_6607.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_6608.jpg
    IMG_6608.jpg
    212.9 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_6610.jpg
    IMG_6610.jpg
    206.8 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_6612.jpg
    IMG_6612.jpg
    244.5 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_6613.jpg
    IMG_6613.jpg
    222.3 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_6614.jpg
    IMG_6614.jpg
    308.5 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_6616.jpg
    IMG_6616.jpg
    272.2 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_6617.jpg
    IMG_6617.jpg
    279.3 KB · Views: 48
First I would like to thank Grant, Leslie and Mary. Great job getting everyone together. Like other I have to agree the it was the best food on the field. My wife liked the chilli so much she is going to make it for some of our friends. Thanks Leslie for telling us were you got it.
Thanks to ApacheLessBob for the ride back to my car.
Thansk to Tim for offering the ride.

I was at EAA all day on Tuesday but missed the party. If there is one next year, I'll be sure to be there. On a positive note, I was able to make 6 other parties on Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday before EAA started.

One other note, I noticed the Norwegian menu and couldn't help but laugh out loud. I wasn't born in Norway but I highly discourage consuming anything on that menu. Rule of thumb, if you can't pronounce it, don't eat it.

See you there next year.
Lars Jensen

One other note, I noticed the Norwegian menu and couldn't help but laugh out loud. I wasn't born in Norway but I highly discourage consuming anything on that menu. Rule of thumb, if you can't pronounce it, don't eat it.
No kidding. In Upper Michigan we have a very strong Nordic heritage. You can find Cajun, Mediterranean, Greek, Italian, and several other types of restaurants but no Scandinavian fare. The Jambalaya at the dinner was excellent and my wife even got the recipe.

Submitted as Exhibit Charlie Charlie (Crowded Car):

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_3400.JPG
    IMG_3400.JPG
    219 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_3401.JPG
    IMG_3401.JPG
    238.9 KB · Views: 100
Many thanks for an outstanding get together. I have to give Leslie a great deal of credit, she is one of the two people I know who can make palatable vegetarian chili.

I had no idea my alter ego was so notorious. I must be doing something either very wrong or very right, depending on one's outlook. It was good to meet everyone.

Troy was also wonderfully helpful trying to restart my XM wx, which despite his best efforts is still among the missing. Many thanks. A more pleasant and agreeable group could not be found.

Little late here, but huge thanks again... it was great. And whoever handed me $10 for the beer run, that was too much -- I trying to remember who that was, and couldn't, so...

I put the $5 I was going to give you back, into the hat that was on the table for Grant/Leslie's expenses. Figured that was the best thing to do with it.

Meanwhile, I had bought a ton of beer thinking I'd also make the H.O.P.S. party (I didn't), so it came all the way back to DEN in the Yukon... :rofl:

Denver PoA'ers... or anyone coming through Denver... if you want beer, it's in my fridge. I'll never drink all of it!

Jamie and I also want to thank Grant and Leslie for hosting such as great time at Air Venture. The food was terrific and it was a wonderful opportunity to get together at pretty much the center of the flying universe. POA has grown into far, far more than just an aviation themed web board for so many. Thank you Al Gore, Bill Gates and of course the entire "without who" team that made all this internet fun a reality.

First I would like to thank Grant, Leslie and Mary. Great job getting everyone together. Like other I have to agree the it was the best food on the field. My wife liked the chilli so much she is going to make it for some of our friends. Thanks Leslie for telling us were you got it.
Thanks to ApacheLessBob for the ride back to my car.
Thansk to Tim for offering the ride.

You're welcome, Ron! It was a great party. Thanks to Grant, Leslie and Mary for a great time! It was good to meet all of the people that comment on POA.
:)

Back