2011 PoA Dinner Tuesday 7/26

gprellwitz

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Grant Prellwitz
Okay, the plans for this year's PoA dinner get together are starting to come together. We will plan on doing it Tuesday evening, 7/26, after the airshow. The exact format is yet to be determined, but it will be a put luck of some sort, with contributions VOLUNTARY! We realize that many at OSH aren't in a position to do much cooking or even secure provisions!

We'll plan on doing it at the "PoA Compound" in Camp Scholler, at 5th and Lindbergh. BIG Blue and Yellow tent and awning. And, despite my naming it the "PoA" dinner, we're not exclusive! If you're from another board, or even not from a board at all, you're welcome!

All details are, of course, subject to change as the event draws closer.

Last edited:
Argh. AOPA just announced that they're doing the ASNV meeting as a dinner this year instead of as a breakfast. Wouldn't you know it, they chose Tuesday!:mad2:

I'm not changing our dinner date, though, so the meeting will go on without me.

So what kinds of food would you like people to bring?? Or maybe you could mention what you already know is going to be there and we can fill in with stuff around that. And where exactly is the PoA Compound?? My Scholler geography isn't thr greatest, but I will find it! :D

I have the same question as Lynn, so what would people like to eat?
I have a car and am staying off site so something I can drop off early or leave in the car most of the.

I will be unexpectedly flying, but will happily attend the POA compound dinner. Last one I went to was a real hoot.

So far, Leslie's planning to make Jambalaya again, and, if Michael will be there, maybe her vegetarian Chili. I will say, though, that she has been SWAMPED between work and getting ready to take a certification exam, so any help is appreciated! Her mother is coming with us, so hopefully we will have some relief from that quarter.

We will definitely be bringing the same "camping" setup we had last time, including a two burner stove/griddle and a kitchen sink and preparation area. Sides to the aforementioned entrees, as well as assistance in preparing them, would be most welcome! Our phone numbers are included on Tim Metzinger's list.

In all frankness, Leslie has been working her tail off lately, so any assistance is welcome! :yes:

Note that assistance in cooking or prepared sides are more than welcome! Just let us know what to expect beforehand! :)

I'll bring cornbread to go with the jambalaya, and 'crazy cake' (a no-egg chocolate cake) for dessert.

OK what goes with Jambalaya? I had to do a google search to even find out what Jambalaya was. I am from Minnesota you have to give me a break:D

OK what goes with Jambalaya? I had to do a google search to even find out what Jambalaya was. I am from Minnesota you have to give me a break:D

Beer! Troy's bringing cornbread, which works too.

Don't miss the dinner. Cajun dishes including jambalaya are wonderful. Beer is essential as Cajun food can be really hot. I'm sorry, Minnesota is not known for good food. Most scandinavian food is disgusting, here is a list of a few traditional menu items:

1. Hákarl (putrefied shark)
  2. Blóðmör (filled sausage/black pudding)
  3. Hrútspungur (ram's scrotum with testicles)
  4. Lundabaggi (sheep's fat)
  5. Svinasulta (jellied ham)
  6. Svið (jellied sheep's head)
  7. Harðfiskur (bread spread made of fish)
  8. Hangikjot (smoked lamb)

how could you make a list of disgusting scandinavian food and not include Lutefisk?

how could you make a list of disgusting scandinavian food and not include Lutefisk?
Sorry, here it is.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lutefisk

Every Advent we entered the purgatory of lutefisk, a repulsive gelatinous fishlike dish that tasted of soap and gave off an odor that would gag a goat. We did this in honor of Norwegian ancestors, much as if survivors of a famine might celebrate their deliverance by feasting on elm bark. I always felt the cold creeps as Advent approached, knowing that this dread delicacy would be put before me and I'd be told, "Just have a little." Eating a little was like vomiting a little, just as bad as a lot.
Lutefisk is cod that has been dried in a lye solution. It looks like the desiccated cadavers of squirrels run over by trucks, but after it is soaked and reconstituted and the lye is washed out and it's cooked, it looks more fish-related, though with lutefisk, the window of success is small. It can be tasty, but the statistics aren’t on your side. It is the hereditary delicacy of Swedes and Norwegians who serve it around the holidays, in memory of their ancestors, who ate it because they were poor. Most lutefisk is not edible by normal people. It is reminiscent of the afterbirth of a dog or the world's largest chunk of phlegm.
Madison Minnesota is the Lutefisk capital of the USA.

Last edited:
Send me you address and I will ship you some. do not worry it wont (cant) go bad in shipping.

Okay, we're getting ready to do the last minute shopping for this. I promise you that NOTHING we serve will be disgusting! Not only is Leslie, the master chef, going to be cooking, but her Mother, the Master Chef Emeritus who taught her, will be there, too! Come hungry!

A crusty French bread will go well with it!

I think I'm counting about a dozen attendees.
Grant, Leslie, and Mary
Tim + wife(?)
Flyer
Troy + ?
Steingar + ?
Lynn & Chris
Others? The more the merrier. We're already considering additional dishes. If you're thinking of coming, let us know so we can plan, but don't worry, you won't be turned away!

If you have chairs or tables, bring them!

Plan to start dinner around 7PM.

Save a place for me. I should be able to make it

Okay, we're getting ready to do the last minute shopping for this. I promise you that NOTHING we serve will be disgusting! Not only is Leslie, the master chef, going to be cooking, but her Mother, the Master Chef Emeritus who taught her, will be there, too! Come hungry!

A crusty French bread will go well with it!

I think I'm counting about a dozen attendees.
Grant, Leslie, and Mary
Tim + wife(?)
Flyer
Troy + ?
Steingar + ?
Lynn & Chris
Others? The more the merrier. We're already considering additional dishes. If you're thinking of coming, let us know so we can plan, but don't worry, you won't be turned away!

If you have chairs or tables, bring them!

Plan to start dinner around 7PM.

No wife or child until Friday morning. I do have a couple of extra chairs, some spare sporks, and will have some plates and such too.

There is a good chance that I will join you all!:D

Oh, yeah...I could use a ride north from ARR on Tuesday AM if anyone is going north for a day or two! Otherwise I will be driving, which wouldn't be bad. But I would prefer to fly!

Okay, it's looking like upward of 20! :yes:

Grant, Leslie, and Mary
Tim
Flyer (Mike)
Troy + 2 guests
Gary F + 2 guests (1 is 13 yrs old)
Ron + 1
Lance
Lynn & Chris
Apache Bob?
Steingar + ?
Diana & Tom??
Matt & Jo McCaughan?

So 16 - 21 people.

We will be making over a gallon each of chili and jambalaya.
Gary is bringing bowls, plasticware, and cups.
Troy is bringing cornbread and "crazy-cake".
Ron is bringing wine.

Probably need some:
Beverages
French bread
Appetizers (chips & guacamole & salsa?)
More desert

I think this is going to be really good!

Last edited:
My wife and I will be there also.
We are bringing a couple bottle of wine fromm local Minnesota wineries.
I know people said beer but then we get into that hole what is good MN beer debate:D

My wife and I will be there also.
We are bringing a couple bottle of wine fromm local Minnesota wineries.
I know people said beer but then we get into that hole what is good MN beer debate:D
List updated! Yeah!

In case you missed the note in the other thread, 79M went AOG after losing the ferrule on the left front cylinder's bottom plug wire today.

We left her in Nebraska and rented a car back to DEN not wanting to hang around in Nebraska until parts can be ordered and arrive, earliest by Tuesday morning. :(

Right now the whole OSH trip is doubtful and my ticket may have just become a "generous donation" to EAA. :( :( :(

In case you missed the note in the other thread, 79M went AOG after losing the ferrule on the left front cylinder's bottom plug wire today.

We left her in Nebraska and rented a car back to DEN not wanting to hang around in Nebraska until parts can be ordered and arrive, earliest by Tuesday morning. :(

Right now the whole OSH trip is doubtful and my ticket may have just become a "generous donation" to EAA. :( :( :(
Where at in Nebraska? I can likely assist getting the airplane back to you if that helps out at all. Could fly it to Denver and then you could drop me off at LNK on your way to OSH. Or lots of other creative possibilities.

Last edited:
Well, Benton needs to be on the road back to Chicagoland with his 3-yr old before 7PM, so won't be there.

LOCATION: Camp Scholler, at 5th and Lindbergh. BIG Blue and Yellow tent and awning.

We'll see how the schedule works but I can probably make it. We'd like to bring fresh fruit fruit salad, but it would need to be kept cool until 7. Anyone got spare cold storage?

We'll see how the schedule works but I can probably make it. We'd like to bring fresh fruit fruit salad, but it would need to be kept cool until 7. Anyone got spare cold storage?

We should have some storage space by Tuesday. Fruit salad sounds perfect!

Do you perchance have a table you could bring too?:idea:

Last edited:
Sorry can't make it, but I will probably be coming up Wednesday evening after work.

I'll have space in a cooler there.

Well the 2 yr old is sick so the wife nixed that idea. I will be able to go to HOPS Wed. because that day and Friday are my EAA alone days. We probably will be at the night show Saturday too.

For folks in the North 40, we're going to try and come over and pick you up. I'll make calls tomorrow when we get the logistics finalized.

We stopped by the store and bought some Brownie bites. Oops I meant I slave over the stove and cooked them
And we have some Frontinac Wine (MN grape and from MN Winery) that I mentioned earlier.

Back