2008 Aviation Goals - how'd you do?

Get IR Passed!
Have a blast and experience of a lifetime on a 3 week XC adventure on the entire eastern seaboard Passed!
Go to Sun-N-Fun Passed!

All below failed because of economy.

Get CSEL Failed! (need about 10 hours still)
Get CFI Failed!
Buy Plane Failed!

I have two goals

To fly as much as I can: accomplished

To not die in a firery aircraft accident that will be picked apart on PoA: accomplished
Well, you and I did have something in common :D

I try to keep my goals simple too :p

Wait a minute... Did you not have the T182 at the beginning of 2008? Or did you buy another airplane? :dunno:

That's what I was wondering! I remember the post about test flying a Malibu, but I didn't see anything about purchasing one! Details!

His signature tells all...and makes me very VERY jealous...

His signature tells all...and makes me very VERY jealous...

Wow... I googled to figure out what it was (Matrix, what I figured) and found... A proposed AD. Already? :dunno: :eek: I don't get what the landing gear has to do with the stall warning vane either... Where is it?

Well I guess my AOPA Expo 2007 prediction was wrong after all, Piper did sell at least one. ;) The Matrix actually makes a lot of sense for the I'd-get-a-turbo-Cirrus-but-I-need-six-seats crowd, and the six-seaters have always been a strength of Piper's.

Congrats Andrew! :yes: Can I get a ride, or at least a whiff of new-airplane smell? :goofy:

Last edited:
I don't think I set a goal last year......

Year in review:
1.) passed silly educational test I kept putting off (very easy)
2.) Rode motorcycle 2307 miles over a long weekend (Nebraska, Kansas, Oklahoma, Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Tennessee, Arkansas, and Missouri)
3.) Made it to Gastons
4.) Added Instrument rating to certificate
5.) Made it to Ames Fly-in
6.) Learned how to solve Rubiks Cube
7.) Learned how to juggle
8.) Absolutely mastered having no set sleep schedule what-so-ever
9.) Dropped 20 lbs of weight
10.) Stole PoA

The year was mostly a blur for me outside of the above events. I mostly live what I do for a living so it is all one big time warp.

I'd like to buy an airplane in 2009. I'm not sure I'll be able to get everything to line up. That said--I will work towards owning an airplane until I have one..whenever that may be.

Last edited:
Well I guess my AOPA Expo 2007 prediction was wrong after all, Piper did sell at least one. ;) The Matrix actually makes a lot of sense for the I'd-get-a-turbo-Cirrus-but-I-need-six-seats crowd, and the six-seaters have always been a strength of Piper's.

Not just your prediction - it seemed that a large number of people slated the Matrix as destined for failure. When I talked to someone at SimCom (or was it Flight Safety?) a few months back, I remember him saying that the Matrix was actually so popular they were having trouble meeting demand for spots in their sim training. I can't remember what I thought when I first heard about it, but it does seem to make sense for a lot of people. Clearly, Andrew is one of those people. :)

I'd wonder how insurance differs for the two? It seems that whenever insurance companies hear "pressurized" they run away screaming. That would likely be another advantage of the Matrix.

Congrats Andrew! :yes: Can I get a ride, or at least a whiff of new-airplane smell? :goofy:

+1. I'm even closer to KLOM! :D

+2 .... When is the next Wings after Work Gathering? :D Heck,.. I'll take off work to meet anytime!

+2 .... When is the next Wings after Work Gathering? :D Heck,.. I'll take off work to meet anytime!

Agreed, it would be nice to have one of those soon! Of course it would be nicer still if it was warmer out...

By not having any aviation goals for 2008 I discovered I wildly exceeded any goals I might have made. Not sure if there is a lesson in that or not, but I believe I will follow the same program for '09.
What I did accomplish:
Logged 242 hours in 2008 (so far). This vastly exceeds any previous years.
Logged some (for me) serious jet time. Almost 100 hours of turbine mostly Learjet 35.
Logged some Pitts S2C time.
Logged some Bo time (thanks to Felix and Spike)
Passed my ATP written.
Had a great time at Gastons.
No incidents, accidents or violations.
Continued to meet more great aviation people.

It's been a fun aviation year.

Happy New Year to all of you.

1. Renewed my medical after almost 2 years out
2. Started flying again - working towards BFR - it MIGHT happen before 2008 expires!
3. Freed up available load for 7 more gallons of gas (joined Weight Watchers)
4. Buy into flying club - deferred until after BFR done, then on the waiting list

Last edited:
Instead of *pass* and *fail* can we just get an *incomplete* or *changed my mind* ? :)
And instead of red, use a softer color, a pastel perhaps, to indicate a basic acceptable level of effort which indicates a deferment of a superior level of accomplishment.

Last edited:
9.) Dropped 20 lbs of weight
I remember when you first came to POA, you shared some before/after pics of you. Keep this up and you'll blow away in a high wind.

That is assuming you haven't turned into a big fat couch potato.:nonod:

2008:
Start Flying Again = PASS
Get TW Endorsement = PASS
First Aerobatic Lesson =
PASS
10 Hr Aerobatic Course = INCOMPLETE
Fly a Stearman = PASS
Complete Instrument Rating = INCOMPLETE

Also, joined and very active in EAA 857, joined a local flying club and took my son, Nate flying.

Edit: Oh yeah, shed 40lbs...

2009:
Complete Instrument Rating
CP - ASEL
CFI
10 Hr Aerobatic Course
Pitts Instruction
Buy or Partner in Plane

Edit: Shed an additional 15 to 20 lbs.

I remember when you first came to POA, you shared some before/after pics of you. Keep this up and you'll blow away in a high wind.

That is assuming you haven't turned into a big fat couch potato.:nonod:

I gained about 20 lbs of that back (I lost 40 then) over the last 3 years. I sit at my laptop almost every hour of the day and don't always eat the best. I dropped the weight to get me back to where I was then.

This year was a goal of getting my certificate,.. PASS

Solo'd - March 13th :D
First POA Gathering -- Wings FlyBQue (only stayed a short time)
Checkride - June 12th :D
First Passenger - My Wife Becky - June 12th
First Breakfast Run - Lancaster (KLNS) with Becky
First time Getting Stranded by something mechanical/electrical --Flight with Parents, October to Blairstown NJ :frown2:
First True Mission - Flight to New York 11/12/08 with Bob Ciotti :thumbsup:
First NE Flyer's Gathering - St. Michaels MD with Becky - 12/13/08

Finished year with 66 hrs.

Goals for 2009,... Hmm,.. want to get over 100 TT and enjoy the travels it brings. Fly something different,.. like Cub, or Biplane, even if it's just a ride with some stick time. Get my 4 year old daughter's in the plane for their first flights!

Complete my IR - FAIL (hope to get the checkride scheduled and completed in January)
Put at least 60 hours in the log PASS (114)
Attend Gastons FAIL (had the room, gave it up for sun-n-fun)
Fly to SNF FAIL (really needed the IR)
Attend SNF PASS (dang flying spam cans)
Fly to Block Island PASS
Fly to Maine FAIL (Opted for Cape Cod and Nantucket PASS)

And instead of red, use a softer color, a pastel perhaps, to indicate a basic acceptable level of effort which indicates a deferment of a superior level of accomplishment.

Depends on how you look at it.

I use my goals as challenges to push me, but I set more than I expect to accomplish. I'll gladly use the big, bold red color to indicate FAIL but that's not how I feel about them, especially since priorities changed some for good reasons and the outcome was good.

This isn't work. It's supposed to relieve stress, not add to it.

Not just your prediction - it seemed that a large number of people slated the Matrix as destined for failure. When I talked to someone at SimCom (or was it Flight Safety?) a few months back, I remember him saying that the Matrix was actually so popular they were having trouble meeting demand for spots in their sim training.

Y'see, the problem is that Piper, like most GA companies, has a level of marketing prowess on par with that of a garden slug.

When they did the intro at Expo, it was like "Here's a new Malibu, it's just like a Mirage only it's not pressurized." And everyone thought "Gee, what a smashing rep the Mirage has... This is going to go over like a lead balloon."

If they'd have just stood up and said "Here's a six-seat SR22" everyone would have been all gaga over it from the start... Maybe.

That said, I'm not sure what the distinction really is over the Turbo Saratoga, except for burning more fuel, requiring more mx, having an air-stair and an interior you can kind of move around in a little bit. What's the price difference? I mean, it's a very cool plane, but I don't quite grok it. My thought was mainly "OK, this looks like an airplane you'd do business on - Hmmm, business deal with nose straws? This ain't gonna work."

<looks at Piper's web site>

Oh, and deice. That's big. :yes:
List prices:
Turbo Saratoga $573,500
Matrix $819,000
Mirage $1,190,000
Meridian $1,896,500

That's interesting. I thought the TS/Matrix were both less at the time, and the Meridian was more. Maybe I'm gettin' old and my memory is failing. I had thought that the Meridian was in the $2.2M range, which would mean the PiperJet would have to be up in the $3+M range, which would put you in the "Why not a Citation Mustang" club.

For reference, the SR22 Turbo starts at $446,600 for the non-Perspective, non-GTS variety - GTS base price is $542,900 and GTS+Perspective base price is $590,900. Comparing base models, the Turbo Saratoga costs more, is metal instead of composite, and I think it's 20 knots or so slower. But, it's got 6 seats and that nice big back door.

Man, it's fun figuring out how to spend money I'll never have. ;)

Get my medical back - DONE.
Pass my IFR student - DONE.
Purchase new (used) airplane with partners - DONE.
Make a ton of money instructing - FAIL... :rolleyes:

Formal education: Pass (cumulative 4.0 GPA)
Aviation: Fail Pathetically
Process to get back in the air: Incomplete (but finally showing progress)
Everything else: Showing remarkable progress

I don't think I posted my goals, but here's how I did...

1) Fly at least 150 hrs for the year - accomplished (170 hrs)
2) Fly long solo cross country for Commercial - didn't accomplish
3) Take Commercial written - didn't accomplish
4) Finish up Commercial training and take checkride - didn't accomplish
5) Get checked out in G1000 182T - accomplished plus 50 hours flown
6) Flight Review - accomplished
7) Renew class III - accomplished
8) Earn CAP Mission Pilot qualification - accomplished
9) Have my first AOPA mentee pass his Private - accomplished (way to go Rob :thumbsup:)

Mine were:

Try and get more than 1 PoAer south of Iowa to visit 6Y9 - not counting on it - evidently we're not "good enough" for the southern folks. FAIL

For 2009 I have no goals.

Goodness has nothing to do with it. For us, holidays are family time. Every year, the family wants to fly to the gulf coast for that weekend...last weekend at the beach.

As for 2008 goals, I think my only goal was to get my commercial: FAIL

I still know I *should* get my commercial, esp owning a retract airplane, but will I do it? Dunno.

2009 goal: Enjoy flying, enjoy family, enjoy friends, try to reduce stress.

Well I got my one goal done.... I passed my Commercial Pilot Glider checkride on 12/31/08

I wasn't on board the board to post any goals, but I did have a personal flying goal.

Get back in the air after a 37 year hiatus: Achieved

An unplanned byproduct of that goal was the purchase of my Ercoupe in September: WooHoo
:)

Get to 250 hrs PASS
Get to 6Y9er PASS PASS PASS
Fly to my buddies in Virgina PASS
Meet more POAers PASS
Get to Tom's RDU BBQ PASS
Get to Gastons Again FAIL
Fly more IFR FAIL

Well, I racked up enough hours to knock almost $100.00 off the next insurance bill.

More importantly, got my 4yr/9mo old granddaughter up in the air! Definitely passed!! Just the other day she and I did our first "cross country" M17 to RAW and back. She was a great co-pilot, keeping my charts in her lap and helping me look out for other traffic. And she briefed me on if the radio squawks or I have to talk on it, I need to just raise my left hand and she will immediately stop talking :p. To me it was just kewl.

Oh, and landing and departing Gaston's in the fall, getting to see Tom and DI
Diana and friends.

Back