2+ week shutdown

alfadog

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
alfadog
Trump TFR is shutting down my home drone, KLNA from 12/21 to 1/6. That is over two weeks. Anyone else ever experience something like this at their airport?

well....I don't recall two weeks....but, living near Camp David (P-40) does present some challenges.

<<<-----it's in Mickey Mouse avatar.

Last year we had a fair number of Trump shut downs in the winter season here but they were only for the weekend. I started here in mid January so I don't know if they experienced the same thing last Christmas/New Year's.

Two weeks seems a bit extreme. But so is the level of political polarization and hostility that we face today, which is unprecedented at least in my lifetime -- and I remember the 1960s.

In a probably pointless attempt to try to avoid politicizing this post, I'm not talking about Democrats or Republicans. They just hurl words at each other-- and even then mainly for public consumption. I'm talking about some of the wacko fringe groups, which shall remain nameless, but which reside at the far extremes of the political axes in every direction. Mainstream Democrats and Republicans can be trusted to hurl only words, not bombs, at each other. Some of these other groups, not so much.

Even the 1960s weren't quite so bad as today because most of the activists and extremists of the '60s were also peaceniks. Today's crop are more like the extremists of the late 1800s and early 1900s.

And that's not even considering the foreign-based terrorists.

Still, one would think it possible to protect the President without completely shutting down an airport for two weeks. Perhaps the security would have be more intense and intrusive, but I'd think it could be done while still keeping the airport open. But I guess I would be wrong.

Rich

This is not a sleepy little airport, either. It's got three busy fixed-wing flight schools and a busy rotorcraft flight school along with major GA maintenance facilities for the area. Not to mention the consistent traffic to and from the Bahamas.

It ain’t the fringe groups doing the shut downs....security will never be the same since 9/11.

Last year we had a fair number of Trump shut downs in the winter season here but they were only for the weekend. I started here in mid January so I don't know if they experienced the same thing last Christmas/New Year's.
They did. Though it wasn't as long last year .He left earlier if I recall correctly.

glad I didn't head down to FLA this week.....

The inner core is only 10NM. Seems you could relocate your plane for a couple weeks and do whatever you want.

Just be sure you know how much the FBO is charging so it doesn't get locked up (like the strange story I read)

The inner core is only 10NM. Seems you could relocate your plane for a couple weeks and do whatever you want.

Not if whatever you want is to fly in and out of your home airport.

You can go in and out on an IFR flight plan, IIRC. Of course, if there's a reason you can't do that, it doesn't help. Isn't there some other way you can get in and out? I know you can't fool around, train, etc.

You guys can’t fly through TFRs? Huh ;)

You can go in and out on an IFR flight plan, IIRC. Of course, if there's a reason you can't do that, it doesn't help. Isn't there some other way you can get in and out? I know you can't fool around, train, etc.

the inner ring is shut down. the outer ring of the TFR u can arrive and depart, no training flights or just putzin around.

the inner ring is shut down. the outer ring of the TFR u can arrive and depart, no training flights or just putzin around.

You can depart the outer ring, train and putzin all you want, and then return to land.

It's inconvenient, sure, but not impossible.

You think there gonna say Bug destroyer 666, your flight track indicates you were doing Steeps and Stalls outside of the TFR before you returned to land?

that's what I said Ravs, u can arrive and depart in the outer ring.

I was attempting to clarify that that training and loitering can still occur, so long as it is outside the ring. And when done return per the rules.

I was attempting to clarify that that training and loitering can still occur, so long as it is outside the ring. And when done return per the rules.

ok well in that case, you can do training and scenic flights here in charlotte, which is outside the ring. just in case anyone else was wondering what you can do outside of the tfr ring.

Yep. TFRs do suck but at least now we no longer have all of those kamikaze small GA planes trying to take out VIP planes like they were doing before. Those were some dark days.

Unless it’s a gyro copter, apparently those things can fly through all our defenses lol

Ahh security theatre

No, KLNA is in the inner circle. Maybe some folks here think it's entirely appropriate to shut down a busy little airport for two-plus weeks when it would be quite simple to notch it out and include it in the outer circle. I don't.

In case anyone notices that the TFR was canceled. This is from NBAA.

"As previously noted, the FAA System Operations Support Center (SOSC) alerted us that the original Palm Beach/Mar-A-Lago, FL VIP TFR has been canceled.

HOWEVER, they have also warned us that the US Secret Service has told them to expect it to be re-issued as a short notice TFR some time during the holiday season, once the President is done in DC."

Even the 1960s weren't quite so bad as today because most of the activists and extremists of the '60s were also peaceniks.

Didn't stop 'em all from making bombs, though.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sterling_Hall_bombing

Do you stand on your patio and curse the weather? It shuts down airports for weeks quite often.

Damn straight I do! Every time it keeps me from flying for weeks (we call this "February"), I curse the weather!

Usually not from my patio, though. Too damn cold.

Back