$2 a gallon Gas (or lower)soon

Steve said:
Regular is running $2.119/gal in N. Mississippi this week.

Prices in the US by county.

http://www.mississippigasprices.com/price_by_county.aspx

You can take that URL and substitute your own state's name for Mississippi to get a better county map of your state. Surprisingly, in WI Door County is the most expensive, and Milwaukee is actually cheaper than Dane (Madison). Used to be that Milwaukee closely followed Chicago, they both use the same special blend.

I used to have a spreadsheet when I lived in Milwaukee that I could type in the gas prices in Milwaukee and Madison and it would calculate whether it'd be cheaper to fuel up in Milwaukee or to drive to Madison, fuel up, and drive back. In the summer of 2000, the latter was cheaper more often than not. :eek:

Just gassed up at lunch for $2.699. That's about as low as you'll find around here. Station is competing with the gas station on Ft. Lewis. Paid $2.999 in Ellensburg this weekend. Some discount stations were $2.899. Still over $3.00 in many places in western Washington (and eastern Washington, too).

Check out your home area at http://www.gasbuddy.com/gb_gastemperaturemap.aspx.

flyingcheesehead said:
Good luck. Paid $3.10/gal yesterday, total tab $579 and change. It's not going down nearly the way gasoline is.

Oil companies (the stations, really) are realizing that most diesel sales are going to vehicles that have no choice whether to drive or not so demand will not increase with reduced prices. So, they're keeping prices artificially high to subsidize the loss of profits from gasoline with the cutthroat competition on that side of things.

People generally don't realize that even if your vehicle doesn't burn diesel, you do pay when diesel prices go up. Every single thing you buy comes to you on a truck, most on many trucks before you see it. You ARE paying for high diesel prices.
Still $3.29 today at the truck stop by my house in CO (but CO has WAY HIGH state taxes compared to, say WY) . I agree that most folks don't realize that EVERYONE's paying for the high price of diesel, no matter what they drive. I gotta buddy up to my local Mickey D's and start burning french fry oil...

2.47 at costco - I just paid 2.99 (premium). wonder if I should re-start my costco membership...

woodstock said:
2.47 at costco - I just paid 2.99 (premium). wonder if I should re-start my costco membership...

You won't have to buy too many gallons to earn back the membership fee, that's for sure.

And you need something that will burn regular unleaded. That will save you a few more dimes per gallon. :D

woodstock said:
cost savings is worth the price of membership ... plus another 5% back on the AmEx card if you're an Executive Member

Ghery said:
You won't have to buy too many gallons to earn back the membership fee, that's for sure.

And you need something that will burn regular unleaded. That will save you a few more dimes per gallon. :D

how about an old Dodge Dart or Chevy Nova? that'd cost next to nothing. don't even need insurance! :eek:

woodstock said:
how about an old Dodge Dart or Chevy Nova? that'd cost next to nothing. don't even need insurance! :eek:
No, you need a Gremlin, Pacer or Pinto!!! :rofl:

gkainz said:
I gotta buddy up to my local Mickey D's and start burning french fry oil...

That's the nice thing about diesels, they'll burn all kinds of crap. Last company I worked for would change our oil and then dump the waste oil in the fuel tanks.

gkainz said:
No, you need a Gremlin, Pacer or Pinto!!!

Man they built some crappy cars back then. Chevy Vega, Dodge Satellite. The Gremlin and Pacer are now cult cars cause they are so weird looking.

Pinto? I'd MUCH rather drive a Corvair, which was actually a good car than a Pinto.

I can smell it now...

http://www.greasecar.com/

gkainz said:
Still $3.29 today at the truck stop by my house in CO (but CO has WAY HIGH state taxes compared to, say WY) . I agree that most folks don't realize that EVERYONE's paying for the high price of diesel, no matter what they drive. I gotta buddy up to my local Mickey D's and start burning french fry oil...

Actually, the reason for the price drops and changes are this:

More out of each barrell of oil is now being earmarked for gasoline. In my industry we have seen the price of Iso go up, while the gas prices come down. I asked our rep why, and he said out of each barrel of crude, x goes to diesel, y goes to gasoline, z goes to Iso, a goes to plastics. The amount being tagged for gasoline production has been raised.

I doubt there's a "lets keep diesel high" conspiracy.

mikea said:
I wish youse guys would STFU about what you pay for gas.

Your wish is granted Oh one from the Windy City.

I paid $2.18 yesterday. :yes:

Unleaded is still $2.79 in Aurora, Illinois.
Speaking of global warming, did anyone else notice that we had global cooling when Jimmy Carter was president? :blueplane:
I would be willing to drive 55 mph if it meant that I could keep flying.

N2212R said:
I doubt there's a "lets keep diesel high" conspiracy.

Never said it was a conspiracy. It's just plain smart business on their part, because most people aren't gonna ***** about diesel prices if they're driving gasoline vehicles. Up the diesel price so you can lower the gasoline price and keep your profits the same, and you'll get more customers, thus making your profits better. I've been told this flat-out by folks who own gas stations.

Now if we can just get some relief on AVgas prices.

Frank Browne said:
Oiy, could I share some Pinto stories!! :hairraise:

They must have been good cars. My father-in-law had one and couldn't kill it. Given how he treated cars that made it bulletproof. Amazing for a Ford (Fix or repair daily).

Gas went under $2.00 today in several SE Missouri towns. Jackson, MO was $1.96-$1.99 at a few stations. I was in St. Louis yesterday and saw it as low as $2.02. I talked to a FBO the other day that sells MOGas and he said it would be around $2.00 - $2.25 the next time be refills his tank. Maybe we will get to see some 100LL under $3.00.

Grrr.... still $2.79 for regular, $3.19 for diesel here in Denver.

Ghery said:
They must have been good cars. My father-in-law had one and couldn't kill it. Given how he treated cars that made it bulletproof. Amazing for a Ford (Fix or repair daily).

Oh yeah, it ran pretty well dispite our repeated use of the thing as a conveyance for our M-80/propane balloon saturday night fun rides! :hairraise:

Frank Browne said:
Oh yeah, it ran pretty well dispite our repeated use of the thing as a conveyance for our M-80/propane balloon saturday night fun rides! :hairraise:

Frank. I love that story. :)

JRitt said:
Prize for the worst car ever built goes to the Hugo

Me thinks you meant Yugo.

But I lived in Europe and got see some really crappy cars that never made it to the states. My least favorite was the FSO. Basically a FIAT but made under license in Cheklosvakia. What PoS! Cost about $1.5k to $2k in 1983 and lasted about 25k miles before having to be scrapped.

flyingcheesehead said:
Good luck. Paid $3.10/gal yesterday, total tab $579 and change. It's not going down nearly the way gasoline is.

Oil companies (the stations, really) are realizing that most diesel sales are going to vehicles that have no choice whether to drive or not so demand will not increase with reduced prices. So, they're keeping prices artificially high to subsidize the loss of profits from gasoline with the cutthroat competition on that side of things.

People generally don't realize that even if your vehicle doesn't burn diesel, you do pay when diesel prices go up. Every single thing you buy comes to you on a truck, most on many trucks before you see it. You ARE paying for high diesel prices.

I wondered about that. Passed a Spinx near GYH and saw regular for 2.159, Diesel for 2.699. Always thought diesel was cheaper to produce. Hrm.

Frank Browne said:
That ain't no car, it's a gas powered roller skate. Went to the grocery store last weekend, and saw a Mini being loaded onto a wrecker. Well...it used to be a Mini. All I saw was a burned out mess. Totally consumed by flames.
Any vehicle which catches aflame will become a burned out husk. Doesn't really diminish the fact that MINI Coopers are quite safe. Safer than the Toyota Corolla, Volkswagon Beetle, Dodge Caliber, Ford Focus, Mitsubishi Lancer... Oh, you can just read the reports yourself:

http://www.iihs.org/ratings/summary.aspx?class=40

Small != unsafe.

mini_vs_f150.jpg

Which would you rather be in?

CapeCodJay said:
Pinto = Before my time :)
Then Rambler Americans were too. Ford Falcons, 6Cyl Skylarks, Ford Galaxies, and most of the entire Corvette line including "The Blue Flame"; a 6 Cyl 283 CI.
I think the '40s, '50' and '60s had some of the best looking, coolest cars and who was ever worried about gas milage.
And to make this thread related - Fill up this past week was at $2.37 a gallon. Whitman.

Anthony said:
Man they built some crappy cars back then. Chevy Vega, Dodge Satellite.
Ya, but for us old motor heads it sure was fun dropping a small block V8 in them and going drag racing. I had a Vega with a 383 stroker(350 with stroker crank and rods) that would carry the front wheels about 1 foot off the ground for the first 200'. Was a great 1/8th mile car.:yes:

Hey, lay off the Vega!

I bought one for $200.00 needing an engine, bought an engine for $300.00 and installed it over spring break, drove the car for two years and about 25,000 miles, and sold it for $750.00.

Needing an engine (but that one was my fault, ran it overheated for too long).

The later Vegas actually were not bad cars; engine cooling was its Achilles' heel, and they sorted that out.

My Vega was a damned sight more reliable than the Honda Civic which followed it a couple of years later.

===

Edit- If I had had more than spring break time to work on it, I would certainly have put in a V8.

silver-eagle said:
Then Rambler Americans were too. Ford Falcons, 6Cyl Skylarks, Ford Galaxies, and most of the entire Corvette line including "The Blue Flame"; a 6 Cyl 283 CI.
Whitman.
The "Blue Flame" had a 235cuin 150hp 6cyl. The 283cuin that came out later (in 1957)was a V8

wbarnhill said:
Any vehicle which catches aflame will become a burned out husk. Doesn't really diminish the fact that MINI Coopers are quite safe. Safer than the Toyota Corolla, Volkswagon Beetle, Dodge Caliber, Ford Focus, Mitsubishi Lancer... Oh, you can just read the reports yourself:

http://www.iihs.org/ratings/summary.aspx?class=40

Small != unsafe.

mini_vs_f150.jpg

Which would you rather be in?

Considering that almost a quarter of todays vehicles are SUV's and almost EVERYTHING is bigger then a Mini Cooper....I will take the truck.

Most accidents are NOT head-on, so which one would you rather be in when the vehicle runs the redlight and broadsides you on the driver side?

Back