$2 a gallon Gas (or lower)soon

tdager said:
Considering that almost a quarter of todays vehicles are SUV's and almost EVERYTHING is bigger then a Mini Cooper....I will take the truck.

Most accidents are NOT head-on, so which one would you rather be in when the vehicle runs the redlight and broadsides you on the driver side?

I've seen waaaaaaay too many SUV and pickup rollovers to believe for a minute that size equals safety. I drive enough miles to see an awful lot of accidents, and about 80% of them involve an SUV or pickup. (This is mostly on the highway... Haven't tried to figure out what proportion of vehicles I see are SUV's or pickups.) It would seem that the smaller vehicles' agility trumps the larger vehicles' mass in most cases.

flyingcheesehead said:
I've seen waaaaaaay too many SUV and pickup rollovers to believe for a minute that size equals safety. I drive enough miles to see an awful lot of accidents, and about 80% of them involve an SUV or pickup. (This is mostly on the highway... Haven't tried to figure out what proportion of vehicles I see are SUV's or pickups.) It would seem that the smaller vehicles' agility trumps the larger vehicles' mass in most cases.

you may see a few roll overs, but as a general rule, unless a crash is really horrendous, we see very few fatalities and severe injuries in SUVs and Pickups, some of the rollovers we have seen would have been really serious fatal events had the vehicle involved been a smaller car. people walk away from accidents in SUVs that would be fatal in anything else. I wont drive anything else.

tdager said:
Considering that almost a quarter of todays vehicles are SUV's and almost EVERYTHING is bigger then a Mini Cooper....I will take the truck.

Most accidents are NOT head-on, so which one would you rather be in when the vehicle runs the redlight and broadsides you on the driver side?

in fact a large percentage of the fatals that i see are Tbones. the smaller cars are death traps in Tbones, a few months back a lincoln hit a VW, in the left side when the VW blew through a stop, the entire left side of the VW was pushed into the Right side, nobody survived, in a pickup they might have made it,

wesleyj said:
you may see a few roll overs, but as a general rule, unless a crash is really horrendous, we see very few fatalities and severe injuries in SUVs and Pickups, some of the rollovers we have seen would have been really serious fatal events had the vehicle involved been a smaller car. people walk away from accidents in SUVs that would be fatal in anything else. I wont drive anything else.

I see the logic in large vehicles. If my F-150 SuperCrew (~5100lbs empty) were to hit a 2500lb vehicle, physics indicates the outcome to be bad for the small vehicle.

But, driving that tank is killing me. Trucks are slow, drink lots of gas, handle horribly, brake terribly, quiver for 45 minutes after hitting a bump, etc. They are just absolutely NO FUN to drive. If you're a driver at all, driving one of these things will kill your soul. The driving experience is terrible.

So, I'm looking for a zippy car to drive when the family is not along. Yes, I'll still drive the tank when they are along, but I need something fun and zippy (good acceleration, handling, and stick shift).

JRitt said:
It seems that the "experts" are predicting less than $2 a gallon gas soon and that it could go as low as $1 in a couple of years. If this is correct maybe we can see $3/gal avgas by next summer or a bit lower

Sebring fla (SEF) ran a fuel special this past weekend. $2.97 full serve for the 100LL! I stopped twice! Now their back to 3.42 and there are a couple spots i can get it for 3.40. And then there are others still trying to get 5 bucks! Gotta shop around if you want to save a few bucks. The avfuel site and 100LL.com are helpful. tc

Bill Jennings said:
I see the logic in large vehicles. If my F-150 SuperCrew (~5100lbs empty) were to hit a 2500lb vehicle, physics indicates the outcome to be bad for the small vehicle.

But, driving that tank is killing me. Trucks are slow, drink lots of gas, handle horribly, brake terribly, quiver for 45 minutes after hitting a bump, etc. They are just absolutely NO FUN to drive. If you're a driver at all, driving one of these things will kill your soul. The driving experience is terrible.

So, I'm looking for a zippy car to drive when the family is not along. Yes, I'll still drive the tank when they are along, but I need something fun and zippy (good acceleration, handling, and stick shift).

LOL...we own an F150 SuperCrew FX4 and the wife LOVES it. As a matter of fact, it is basically "her" truck.

She just got a promotion and has to travel to a further office now so I will be getting it and she gets the Hyundai, but overall, we LOVE the F150.

Big, roomy, comfortable, and I can see ABOVE traffic. Not too mention, if we ever are t-boned, well the bastards will go under us. hehehehehhe

Bill Jennings said:

surely there are some trucks that drive like cars?

Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins Turbo Diesel. I can see over the traffic, don't get cut off nearly as often as in a car (considering a snow plow on the front for those who still insist on slalom course style lane changes), get 20mpg and seriously considering waste vegetable oil/biodiesel for fuel. But, it's a $100 to fill the tank up (still) so I shanghi my son's Jeep pretty regularly lately. The little 4 cylinder does pretty well on gas.

tom clark said:
Sebring fla (SEF) ran a fuel special this past weekend. $2.97 full serve for the 100LL! I stopped twice! Now their back to 3.42 and there are a couple spots i can get it for 3.40. And then there are others still trying to get 5 bucks! Gotta shop around if you want to save a few bucks. The avfuel site and 100LL.com are helpful. tc

I like to top off when I can just North of Dallas at Sherman Muncipal. The CITY runs the fuel depot and marks up the fuel price marginally.

Current, active price updated today... $2.70/gallon for 100LL.

That must be why I saw Dave Siciliano's partner in the twin fueling up over there!

Denver%202%20070.jpg

woodstock said:

There are some SUV's that are car like, but trucks are just that.

TangoWhiskey....$2.70 a gallon! WOW

That is why I love the internet, the power of information.

With AirNav and other fuel price checkers online, and the ability for a pilot to fly somewhere else for gas, it pressures other places to get real about their prices and stop gouging the crude out of people for fuel.

woodstock said:

Not exactly car-like, but I love the way my Tundra doublecab handles. Smoothes out the bumps very nicely, and is a dream on the highway. The only drawback that I've found is that it has a W I D E turn radius. Not easy to park in a crowded lot.

Bill Jennings said:

Unfortunately, too many people think that equation only applies in one direction. They drive their 5100 pound vehicle like they're king of the road, and simply don't realize that my 80,000 pound vehicle has a much bigger "advantage" over their 5100, than theirs does over the 2500. :dunno:

I wish I knew more stats, but from what I see on the road, large is not as safe as many believe. At least the little guys tend to stay upright, and mostly protect their occupants. I see mostly highway accidents, not city accidents, and it's pretty rare to see a car messed up on the big road. Summer, lots of SUV's and pickups towing things that go too fast and end up in the ditch. Winter, a lot of overconfident 4wd-ers, same deal.

I filled up for $2.15 last night in Gretna, NE. It's amazing how good it feels to pay just over $2/gallon. They really have us conditioned to expect the worst and to be thankful when they're only kind of screwing us.

And the price continues to drop in eastern TN. Payed $2.15 yesterday down to $2.11 today. Keep her coming.
Ron

tdager said:

I'd choose a "Freightliner" Cab-over, Or a Peterbuilt, or a good 'ol Mack B model... Driver sits way above, even an SUV's hood. And outweighs 'em too!:yes:

And the view on a summers day, is one of " LEGS-ury" ... If ya know what I mean...:blowingkisses:

still no noticeable movement on gas or diesel prices here in Denver

Chache said:
I'd choose a "Freightliner" Cab-over, Or a Peterbuilt, or a good 'ol Mack B model... Driver sits way above, even an SUV's hood. And outweighs 'em too!:yes:

That gives us an advantage in a limited set of scenarios: Collisions with smaller vehicles that do not involve a rollover.

I've already made the decision: If it's gonna be me or some idiot who pulled a stupid stunt in front of me, they're dead. And I won't feel bad about it.

However, I also know that if something happens between me and a fixed object, I'm probably toast. It sucks to wake up every morning knowing your job may kill you, but ya gotta do what ya gotta do (to fly :yes:).

BTW, most SUV's are at about the level of my shins.

flyingcheesehead said:
Unfortunately, too many people think that equation only applies in one direction. They drive their 5100 pound vehicle like they're king of the road, and simply don't realize that my 80,000 pound vehicle has a much bigger "advantage" over their 5100, than theirs does over the 2500. :dunno:.

I've noticed that behavior in all sizes of vehicles from 2500 to 80,000+ pounds. Everyone is me-first. People need to take a chill pill and remember it's just driving. Luckily our local law enforcement dispatch is very effective and drivers of all types of vehicles soon find out that no one is king of the road. (I do agree that the ones who pay the least road taxes seem to be the worst offenders:dunno: )

The gas price shenanigans are just a game. I've already noticed people adjusting their driving habits to waste as much fuel as possible since the price dropped. When they screw up I will respond and clean up the mess.

flyingcheesehead said:
However, I also know that if something happens between me and a fixed object, I'm probably toast. It sucks to wake up every morning knowing your job may kill you, but ya gotta do what ya gotta do (to fly :yes:).

is this because you are too big to bounce back off said fixed object? i.e. you will absorb all the shock of the impact?

gkainz said:
still no noticeable movement on gas or diesel prices here in Denver

I'm seeing gas prices drop (Filled up at 1.99 for regular yesterday), but diesel still appears to hover around 2.70 here in SC.

wbarnhill said:
I'm seeing gas prices drop (Filled up at 1.99 for regular yesterday), but diesel still appears to hover around 2.70 here in SC.

:eek: :eek: :eek: Now I KNOW we're being robbed blind out here in ripoffville.

Greg, what's the break even point in fueling here vs going to SC and tankering back a few thousand gallons with a semi truck or railroad tanker car? Maybe we should just move instead.

I'm outta here. I gotta go pay the thieves again.

400 miles to Grand Island, NE ... diesel is $2.06

Nebraska Diesel Prices

... best I can find anywhere around here is $2.79 ...

Cheyenne is not much better at $2.63 (used to be considerably cheaper than CO stations)

gkainz said:
400 miles to Grand Island, NE ... diesel is $2.06

Nebraska Diesel Prices

... best I can find anywhere around here is $2.79 ...

Cheyenne is not much better at $2.63 (used to be considerably cheaper than CO stations)

How does 25 cents/gallon for diesel or 60 cents/gallon for unleaded sound?

http://www.turkishweekly.net/news.php?id=30894

100 halalas = 1 Saudi Riyal

25 halalas / litre of diesel = 0.0667 USD based on today's exchange rate

60 halalas / litre of petrol (unleaded) = 0.16 USD based on today's exchange rate

1 US Gallon = 3.785 liters.

Therefore, a gallon of diesel = 25 cents per gallon. A gallon of unleaded is 60.56 cents per gallon.

You just have to drive 7794 miles to get it...

woodstock said:
is this because you are too big to bounce back off said fixed object? i.e. you will absorb all the shock of the impact?

Well, 80,000 lbs * 65 mph = big boom. The rig is about 75 feet long and I'm sitting in the first 10 feet of that. :eek: That's better than the cab-over days but I wouldn't take bets who'd win in a contest between me and a big hunk of concrete. During the wreck back in June it took us probably close to 1500 feet to get stopped and we both ended up in ambulances on back boards. So, in a collision with a fixed object, we either have forces 150 times worse or we go splat. Yikes.

Back