2-3 confirmed tornados here in Ohio so far...

flhrci

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
David
Local news says Indiana had tornado reports also. Going to be a long night.

The storm just missed us in Indy. Less than 20 miles NE of me got hit pretty hard with a tornado.

Interestingly, I saw a small plane coming in to land at my local airport around that time. I live about 2 or 3 miles straight out from the runway. There was a severe thunderstorm warning and tornado warning out for the county at the time. Also there was a tornado on the ground less than 20 miles away around the same time. There was also a funnel cloud less than 5 miles away around that time. Granted it was just light rain where we were but why play chicken with severe weather that close?

We could see the lightning from the storm; we are about 25 nm south of the mess. So far, no reports of fatalities.

I saw some pictures and news about Pendleton, IN getting hit. That’s where I grew up and went to school though no one in the family lives in that immediate area anymore.

There were a few in Iowa as well, but as far as I know limited damage and no injuries. The scariest part was there was no warning. No tornado watches were ever issued, and the first tornado warnings came after the funnels were already on the ground.

There were a few in Iowa as well, but as far as I know limited damage and no injuries. The scariest part was there was no warning. No tornado watches were ever issued, and the first tornado warnings came after the funnels were already on the ground.

When they don’t communicate their presence or intentions, we call them TorNORDOs.

Yeah, the OK/KS/MO area has been getting hammered with tornados and intense rains. We've got CAP and Nat'l Guard monitoring flooding and the levy systems to identify and potential failures. Coffeyville, KS was evacuated due to concerns of an impending levee failure. Keystone Dam is releasing 275K cfm at the moment, which is roughly 2.1 million gallons per minute, and the lake is still rising because the inflow is exceeding the outflow. We just need to hit the "summer" weather patterns to get a week or two of dry weather in order to get the water moved downstream.

Edit for conversion error :)

Last edited:
I don't think my Dad has made one pass in the field with a planter yet. It seems like it rains 6 days a week up here and in SD. I'm 35, and cant remember it ever being this wet in May.

Last edited:
The storms that caused the tornadoes in Dayton went southeast and went over where I live. I was up till at least 1:30AM, quit watching tv at 1:00AM. I thought it was all over per the tv and no activity outside, so I went to bed. There are several more tornado warning alerts on my phone from the weather channel app that expired at 2:15AM.

I just watched the 11:00AM news and saw that there was most likely a tornado south of me as there is a lot of damage around 12 miles south of me and trucks overturned closing a main highway. So, it was pretty bad and I feel lucky nothing happened here but heavy rain, lightning and thunder and less at my Mom's house 20 miles northeast of me. This is probably the first time in my 47 years that I thought I would experience one of these, but not yet.

Sadly, I hear that one person got killed in western Ohio.

... I'm 35, and cant remember it ever being this wet in May.

There certainly seems to be a lot of those types of statements in recent years. I know I’ve heard many folks talk about how it’s been hotter than they remember or wetter or dryer. Definitely seems hotter to me. The folks here in NC seem to be almost universal in belief that it is hotter than they have ever seen it here.

How did Jackson Green County make out/

I have a hangar there. I got an email from the Airport Manager that there was no damage at the Airport and business as usual.

141c54ef-4744-41ce-bf89-2717861445ae.jpg

Hello Tenants - the airport was untouched by the recent storms and it is business as usual. I hope you were not impacted as well.

Dave Kushner
Airport Manager
Greene Co. Regional Airport Authority | 140 N Valley Rd, Xenia, OH “

Cheers.

Back