1st solo went well, 2nd one was more nerve racking

Jeff Szlauko

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
ChopperJeff
Just completed my 1st solo a couple weeks ago, then went up last Saturday for my 2nd solo, which was the first one to venture out to the practice area on my own. I can't believe how much more stressful it felt than the very first solo! I just practiced a couple basic maneuvers, then headed back to the airport. I was dreading that the tower would give me some convoluted instructions, but they gave me exactly what I wanted to hear, which was "cleared for straight-in to runway two five left". I breathed a sigh of relief, which was short lived as they came back on to inform me of another plane coming in, and he'd be going over me, and I had to turn heading one four zero, and so on and so forth. Just as I finally spotted that plane, they informed me of another in the pattern ahead of me, entering base, and for me to follow. Looking back at what the tower told me, it all seems pretty straight forward, but at the time, I felt overwhelmed.
I was literally shaking as I landed the Cessna 172, though it turned out to be one of the best landings ever.
How can one be better prepared for the inevitable journey back into the Class D airspace? Are there really only a handful of instructions that the tower will tell you? If so, what exactly are these? Seems so easy with a CFI sitting next to you, but when you are all alone up there, it all seems so overwhelming. Funny, I feel like I can fly the plane just fine, and even land with a fair amount of confidence, but talking to the tower still gets to me, as I'm afraid of bungling it all up. Perhaps it's just one of those things that only practice will fix.

I am finding there are lots of instructions and about the time you thought you'd heard them all, another new one comes up. I know some people recommend listening to the audio recordings online. We have a backup handheld and rather than just have it sit there I use it to listen to ATIS before starting the plane, listen to ground traffic while watching and even listen to tower traffic, especially on busy days.

As for various instructions, here are just a few more specific to arrival and landing:

Unable (in response to your request for a specific Runway)
Ident
Are you the traffic X miles Northwest at 2800
Report 3 mile final for 25R
Report 3 mile base for 25R
Report 3 mile downwind for 25R
You are number 2 for 25R, follow the XYZ on base
Runway 25R cleared for the option
Runway 25R cleared to land
Extend your downwind, I'll call your base
Base turn approved, runway 25L cleared to land
Keep your pattern tight, a XYZ on 5 mile final
Switch to 25L, cleared to land 25L (while on base for 25R)
Prepare to go around
Go around, move left to 25L, make left closed traffic for 25L
Turn crosswind as soon as able
Right 360 (while on left downwind or left base)
I wish I knew them all. Best time to hear them is on certain weeknights if lots of business travelers coming home and of course on nice weekend mornings.

My instructor just drilled radio into me from the get go, now I know why.

Last edited:
It's totally something practice will fix; don't sweat it. Seems like you did great. Feeling overwhelmed is, honestly, part of the process. It's like weightlifting; you can't really build muscle until you push to near the breaking point. The trick is knowing when you're getting dangerously overwhelmed and doing something about it. Did you tell the tower you're a student? No big deal if you didn't (I never did---too cocky back then), but you can always volunteer it if you feel like things are getting out of hand. They'll take care of you. "N12345 is a student pilot; request a recommended heading to avoid traffic/comply with your instruction/give me a moment to get setup/etc."

After the first solo on which I had to talk to ATC (trained at a non-towered field):
CFI (knowing my ego): "Did you tell them you were a student like I asked you to?"
Me: "No, but I think they figured it out."

Tip: as the stress goes up the importance of checklists and flows goes up accordingly. It's counter-intuitive in the moment but critical. If you don't have time to do what you need to do, let ATC know and ask for time to get things set. Don't rush unless you're on fire or out of gas (and really not even then :cool:).

Right now, you're using a lot of brainpower just to fly the plane. By the time you go for your checkride, flying will be as instinctive as riding a bike, and you'll be able to devote 100% of your brainpower to dealing with ATC, watching for traffic, navigating, etc. At this point, though, you're consciously doing a lot of the basic flying, and that robs you of bandwidth to deal with everything else. It'll come. Give it time.

I highly recommend going up to the tower for a tour, either a scheduled visit or a walk-in if they allow it. That will help your understanding of their operation tremendously.

I was given written, fill in the blank scripts by my cfi. These were for atis, clearance, ground, tower, and departure/approach. In the approach script, written in capital letters, I was to say: I AM A STUDENT PILOT. Worked very well. I would recommend creating and using these cheat sheets, they are huge in keeping ahead of the situation.

Practice practice and more practice. Plus I second the tower visit. You're fine. You'll laugh back at this in the future. Normal to be nervous. Using "student pilot" as part of your initial contact with ATC let's them know that you're not a seasoned pilot quite yet. I always told my students to use it.

Last edited:
Haha...my first solo to the practice area I got a little overzealous and went further out than I was used to, at that time I couldn't quite remember how to enter an aiport into the GPS to get me back so it became my first lesson in dead reckoning, was a little nerve-racking for me too but don't worry, they just keep getting easier

On one of my solo flights in NJ it had snowed. No big deal. Aero Club kept their planes in the hangar. Takeoff from the base to go do T&Gs at an uncontrolled airport. Oh crap, where did my ground reference points go? Covered up with that white stuff dummy. Kept going and finally saw a black strip in the middle of the country. Ahh there it is! CFI never warned me about it lol.

Congrats on your solo!!!! I haven't been to the practice area yet, I was supposed to last night, storm cell happened instead. But on my second solo in a non towered field, after I landed and picked up my CFI, went back to on the way to home, CFI said let's go to words the fire and see what it is all about. I looked at him and asked, there is a fire somewhere? He said, yes, right where u turned base for last 3 times. I was so occupied with flying, didn't see a huge pile burning 900 ft below me. Talk about limited availability of brain cells

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I count myself lucky that I'm training at a class c airport so I get lots of ATC practice.

Either in the pattern or when calling to return from the practice area/other airports, I usually get vectored around quite a bit, so I've become comfortable with their instructions.

Just keep practicing, it will come. I have noticed that once they give you "cleared to land" it's pretty rare they give you a new instruction and you can just focus on landing the plane. Now sometimes just a few seconds after touchdown I'll get instructions like exit at first available due to 737's on final, but it's never been a problem.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There is no limit to what you will hear from a tower. Trying to memorize a list and prepare a response is not the best route. Just listen and screw up like everyone does. Over time it will just become a conversation.

"Student pilot" "unfamiliar" "unable" or simply "I don't understand" are all valid responses you can use.

But what you don't want to do is try to assume or guess what the tower means if you don't understand something and don't ask for clarification for fear of making them mad.

If you are not 100% clear on an instruction, or are confused about something they said, they need to know that. They need to clarify. You need to ask for clarification. They are assuming you understood what they told you to do and they are routing traffic based on everybody understanding what they are saying.

My first solo I was reminded that Hawker's are faster than Warriors. (heehee)

Try not to use the "student pilot crutch" all the time. If the freq is busy it might be worth noting, but usually "Say again" and "I don't understand" will get you through it.

And in case no one else said it: FLY THE PLANE. The rest works itself out.

My second solo was very stressful as well. I was not going to share this, but since your story is similar to mine and to remind us we are not all Bob Hoover. I think its because on your second solo you are in charge of everything, not simply taking off and landing three times. Pulling the airplane out, getting your clearance, taking off, etc...

https://goo.gl/photos/zRTvdghuSCBu8gjx8
First picture - oh so happy. Third picture. Sweat. Last picture exhausted relief.

I really missed my CFI that day!

I still feel like a little miracle happens every time I land the airplane. Some day I guess that will go away too.

Last edited:
Cut yourself some slack, it was only your second solo. It will get easier with knowledge, experience and confidence.
Each and every flight is at least slightly different from all the others, tower instructions, traffic, weather issues. It's what makes flying challenging and rewarding.
I agree, go and visit the tower and talk to the guys there, get some additional practice with different towered fields on your cross countries coming up. Learn what you can do with the plane and what the tower can and will expect from you too. All that will help give you the experience and confidence you need.

As more of the flying becomes automatic you'll have more brain to devote to the radio and it will seem more like a conversation. I found early on that every time the tower or approach talked to me I'd be 100ft up or down or veering off my heading. Felt like I couldn't walk and chew gum at the same time, haha. I'd add 'student pilot' to the first few transmissions or any time you feel you are getting behind.

Back in the 70s, my first solo away from the airport had me lost in no time. It wasn't really that hard to find my way back but I was sweating it for a few minutes.

I think if you keep at it and take some of the advice that's been offered in this thread, the day will come when you are totally at home in the plane.

I learned out of a very busy class D under a Bravo shelf, so I get it. The good news is that your training will put you in a solid place with handling ATC and busy airspace.

ATC will throw you some curveballs and you have to expect that. Best thing you can do for now is before you depart, add "Student Pilot" to the end of your script. For example, "Awesome Tower, November-123WhiskyYumYum, At 29er for South Departure, Student Pilot". When you are coming back to the airspace, just do the same thing... "Awesome Tower, November-123WhiskeyYumYum, 10 miles south, Landing with Whiskey, Student Pilot." They will go easier on you and will try to avoid throwing you too many curveballs.

I agree with those saying to visit the tower. You'll see that they are just regular folks up there. They are there to help you.

If you are ever unclear on something ATC requests, and trust me, I have been several times... especially blowing back into the airspace on Saturdays... get all kinds of stuff thrown at me... just ask for clarification. Never assume. Never guess. And, most importantly, never ever be afraid to say "unable" if you do not feel you can execute something safely. They may spin you off into a 360 or even push you out of the pattern for a bit (happened to me once) while they figure out another way or spacing is no longer an issue, but they won't get mad at you. You are PIC and you need to do what you feel safe with.

This part will get better. I haven't had ATC anxiety in a long time, especially since I went up and met the folks in the tower and have gotten to know controllers elsewhere.

I will differ from above use the student pilot crutch until you feel more comfortable. It does two things, it lets them know that this is mostly new to you and they will cut you some slack. Without going into too much detail on my long solo cross country I screwed up or was about to the controller kinda yelled at me but I think it saved me from more trouble. It lets them know to be more vigilant with you. More importantly it gets them to slow down when they talk.

I have never flown in controlled airspace much I just don't have a need to so I still get a little nervous when I have to.

I am finding there are lots of instructions and about the time you thought you'd heard them all, another new one comes up. I know some people recommend listening to the audio recordings online. We have a backup handheld and rather than just have it sit there I use it to listen to ATIS before starting the plane, listen to ground traffic while watching and even listen to tower traffic, especially on busy days.

As for various instructions, here are just a few more specific to arrival and landing:

Unable (in response to your request for a specific Runway)
Ident
Are you the traffic X miles Northwest at 2800
Report 3 mile final for 25R
Report 3 mile base for 25R
Report 3 mile downwind for 25R
You are number 2 for 25R, follow the XYZ on base
Runway 25R cleared for the option
Runway 25R cleared to land
Extend your downwind, I'll call your base
Base turn approved, runway 25L cleared to land
Keep your pattern tight, a XYZ on 5 mile final
Switch to 25L, cleared to land 25L (while on base for 25R)
Prepare to go around
Go around, move left to 25L, make left closed traffic for 25L
Turn crosswind as soon as able
Right 360 (while on left downwind or left base)
I wish I knew them all. Best time to hear them is on certain weeknights if lots of business travelers coming home and of course on nice weekend mornings.

My instructor just drilled radio into me from the get go, now I know why.
All of those are in English and reference fundamental parts of the traffic pattern. All of which you need to know. Not trying to be sarcastic, as that may sound at first. Once you have the basics down, the "proper" phraseologies that are in the AIM and other publications, then controllers throwing in some extra adjectives, prepositions and plain language modifications should not be a problem.

Lol. My second solo flight story is similar. My first solo went great with three very solid landings. The next day, my CFI let me go solo to the practice area and back. On returning, I was given a straight in to one of the two runways. ATIS had the winds a little stiff (I forget the actual speed) but less than a direct crosswind. Just before touchdown, I was hit by a gust that sent me towards the runway edge and lights. I did a go around that admittedly was a bit frantic and not as good as in prior practice. After turning crosswind, I asked the tower for the other runway that was almost directly into the wind, was given it and made a good landing. My CFI's response when I got back to the office was basically "a bit windy today, huh?" I guess he thought there was no need for a lecture.

Lol. My second solo flight story is similar. My first solo went great with three very solid landings. The next day, my CFI let me go solo to the practice area and back. On returning, I was given a straight in to one of the two runways. ATIS had the winds a little stiff (I forget the actual speed) but less than a direct crosswind. Just before touchdown, I was hit by a gust that sent me towards the runway edge and lights. I did a go around that admittedly was a bit frantic and not as good as in prior practice. After turning crosswind, I asked the tower for the other runway that was almost directly into the wind, was given it and made a good landing. My CFI's response when I got back to the office was basically "a bit windy today, huh?" I guess he thought there was no need for a lecture.
Definetly no need for a lecture. You done good. You went around when you needed to. Just sayin "a little windy" I think was his way of giving you a little praise without gettin all mushy about it.

Here's a nerve wracking solo for ya.

My first solo, first landing ended with me driving off the side of the runway into the dirt. So I didn't even get to complete my other 2 landings. Not exactly a confidence-booster at all. I was beyond upset at myself for screwing up. No damage, no injuries, just pride.

Hopefully next week I will get to do the other 2 landings :D

Upside I guess is I got to learn how to fill out a NASA report. Yikes!

I trained at an uncontrolled field, so the Class C was a little stressful at first. After several flights my CFI gave me a heads up about a few controllers preference for a "Right 270 abeam the numbers, make close traffic, cleared #2 to land" that I had never heard before. That very flight I get that instruction. Seems "extend downwind" or "follow the spam can on the straight in final" would've worked much easier:confused:

Other favorite at KELP was doing TNGs on 26R with instruction to remain east of 22. Could never get to 800 AGL (TPA) practicing in that tight of a space in a 152.

Thank you all who replied! Good to know I'm not alone in this fear, and the sense of being overwhelmed at times. A lot of good points were brought up. It does seem like we really only have, as one poster put it, so much brain "bandwidth", and with so much being devoted to flying the plane, there's not much left over for the communication portion. Visiting the tower sounds like a great idea. I did that back when I was in the ground school last year, but since that was well before my first flying lesson, I really didn't know what to ask. Now, I feel like I have plenty to ask about!
Interesting how many people say they did the minimum three TNGs on their first solo. I figured I'd do the same, but my instructor encouraged me to do as many as I wanted, and said I might as well begin racking up the solo hours. He also said "have fun!". I ended up doing ten TNGs!
I'll see if I can get more prepared for my upcoming 3rd solo this coming weekend...perhaps with a tower visit, and a reread of the posts here.

I still feel like a little miracle happens every time I land the airplane. Some day I guess that will go away too.

Don't worry. You still have those moments later, they just happen in worse weather. ;)

It does seem like we really only have, as one poster put it, so much brain "bandwidth", and with so much being devoted to flying the plane, there's not much left over for the communication portion.

LOL. As my CFIs who've been teaching me to be a CFI have all said AND the DPE...

"Students are at least 90% saturated just by starting the engine. That doesn't end until the flight is over. Learning takes place on the GROUND, flying is just application of that learning. Keep your instructions clear and concise in the airplane, they're only hearing 10% of what you're saying anyway. That's why a proper de-brief is so important." ;)

Just completed my 1st solo a couple weeks ago, then went up last Saturday for my 2nd solo, which was the first one to venture out to the practice area on my own. I can't believe how much more stressful it felt than the very first solo! I just practiced a couple basic maneuvers, then headed back to the airport. I was dreading that the tower would give me some convoluted instructions, but they gave me exactly what I wanted to hear, which was "cleared for straight-in to runway two five left". I breathed a sigh of relief, which was short lived as they came back on to inform me of another plane coming in, and he'd be going over me, and I had to turn heading one four zero, and so on and so forth. Just as I finally spotted that plane, they informed me of another in the pattern ahead of me, entering base, and for me to follow. Looking back at what the tower told me, it all seems pretty straight forward, but at the time, I felt overwhelmed.
I was literally shaking as I landed the Cessna 172, though it turned out to be one of the best landings ever.
How can one be better prepared for the inevitable journey back into the Class D airspace? Are there really only a handful of instructions that the tower will tell you? If so, what exactly are these? Seems so easy with a CFI sitting next to you, but when you are all alone up there, it all seems so overwhelming. Funny, I feel like I can fly the plane just fine, and even land with a fair amount of confidence, but talking to the tower still gets to me, as I'm afraid of bungling it all up. Perhaps it's just one of those things that only practice will fix.

I am with you with that.

Ok, so now I feel like I'm going backwards here. Went up for my 3rd solo, with the goal to just do some touch and goes. Well, I ended up doing one landing...not a touch and go and a landing, but just took off and landed. The wind wasn't that bad, being around 9 knots, but it must have been gusting. I had trouble at first getting the speed and altitude dialed in while coming up on the base turn, as the plane was being thrown about a bit. I turned base, and got everything just about perfect for speed and altitude. Then I turned onto final, and the plane got thrown big time to the left. Scared the crap out of me! Corrected it, got back on line, only to be hit with a couple more "movements". Kept the air speed dialed in, and just had a few small gusts as I landed. At this point though I was thinking "ah, **** this!", and just headed off the runway to do a full stop.
When I walked into the office to pay for the 0.4 hours I had the plane, I said " I don't know if I'm cut out for this".
My CFI happened to be there, as he was doing some ground work for another student, and he asked me what happened, as he realized I had not been gone long. I explained what occurred, and he smiled, and just said that we just need to work on that.
I'm sure he's right, but going up and getting so scared is no fun.
On the bright side though, I handled all that occurred, did pretty well on the radio, even with the few curve balls the tower threw me, and the landing I did was pretty damn good! And, my instructor seemed pleased that I made a decision, and stuck with it.

Ok, so now I feel like I'm going backwards here. Went up for my 3rd solo, with the goal to just do some touch and goes. Well, I ended up doing one landing...not a touch and go and a landing, but just took off and landed. The wind wasn't that bad, being around 9 knots, but it must have been gusting. I had trouble at first getting the speed and altitude dialed in while coming up on the base turn, as the plane was being thrown about a bit. I turned base, and got everything just about perfect for speed and altitude. Then I turned onto final, and the plane got thrown big time to the left. Scared the crap out of me! Corrected it, got back on line, only to be hit with a couple more "movements". Kept the air speed dialed in, and just had a few small gusts as I landed. At this point though I was thinking "ah, **** this!", and just headed off the runway to do a full stop.
When I walked into the office to pay for the 0.4 hours I had the plane, I said " I don't know if I'm cut out for this".
My CFI happened to be there, as he was doing some ground work for another student, and he asked me what happened, as he realized I had not been gone long. I explained what occurred, and he smiled, and just said that we just need to work on that.
On the bright side though, I handled all that occurred, did pretty well on the radio, even with the few curve balls the tower threw me, and the landing I did was pretty damn good! And, my instructor seemed pleased that I made a decision, and stuck with it.
Perhaps if you had gone around you would have had time to calm down and possibly get a nice uneventful landing on the next circuit. Practice go arounds too, less pressure, get in the groove a bit. The pattern can come at you fast when you've been on the ground for a week or so and jump right in.

And you didn't bend the airplane nor hurt yourself. Relax!

happens to me as well. I have noticed that if I am getting bounced everywhere in base and have to correct a lot of things (usually done by me), my final approach sucks and I always go around. next time you know it may happen, the plane might go left or right due to wind / turbulence etc, but this time around you anticipate it and its less nerve wrecking. I always go around if I have to adjust a bunch of things in final. give it a shot.

I was about to do my 3rd solo yesterday, but I rt after take off I realized I missed setting up the ALT, and kept thinking what else did I miss. just that one event set up a chain of events and all my approach and landings sucked for the next 3 rounds. I decided not to solo and CFI agreed. will go back and try again on Friday. its 1 step forward and 2 step backward.. but eventually it all clicks

I was the same way. It's better to be a little rattled than one of those idiots that goes out and buzzes their friends houses. My 2nd solo was a total of 0.7 hours and I came back thinking wow, I guess I don't really like flying as much as I thought I did. I'm glad I stuck with it, and bet you will be too.

Your 35 or 40 hours of initial instruction only allow you to fly the plane. I'm sure you already know, but everytime you go out you're going to see and hear something new.

Aviate, navigate, communicate.

Relax.... it just takes practice. :p

I've been rattled too on a few occasions, especially early on in some pretty good crosswinds.
Since I saw this video (below) that was posted on another thread, I have a little more belief in both myself and the planes capabilities.
I still get those wow! moments and I'm no where near this guys skill level.... but, also I'm not likely to be pulling maneuvers that are this radical either.

Last edited:
O boy!! That's some serious flying skirting the envelop

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

It seems like you're progressing well! The important thing is to keep getting back on the horse...it's a little easier every time.

Another golden phrase...right up there with "student pilot"....is "say again, please." It'll get the controller to slow down a bit too, and speak more clearly. I don't know how some of these guys got jobs as controllers in the first place. There was a controller at KSNA (John Wayne) who everyone called "Mumbles." :)

The controller talk was the one thing that went pretty well today, except for the time he asked me if I wanted to switch to using 25 left instead of 25 right. He started off with saying I was cleared for the option, but then gives me the opportunity to switch runways, asking if I'd like 25 left. It's the runway I said I wanted at takeoff, but he routed me to 25 right instead. I replied that using 25 left would be great, but then I felt unsure if I was really cleared for the option on 25 left. Would the proper response be to simply say "cleared for the option, 25 left", or to basically do what I did, and just say "I'd prefer 25 left", and leave it to him to clear me for it. It's times like that that I feel I may be making things more difficult than they should be, but I want to get it right, and as a result, probably screw it up more by over analyzing it.

The controller talk was the one thing that went pretty well today, except for the time he asked me if I wanted to switch to using 25 left instead of 25 right. He started off with saying I was cleared for the option, but then gives me the opportunity to switch runways, asking if I'd like 25 left. It's the runway I said I wanted at takeoff, but he routed me to 25 right instead. I replied that using 25 left would be great, but then I felt unsure if I was really cleared for the option on 25 left. Would the proper response be to simply say "cleared for the option, 25 left", or to basically do what I did, and just say "I'd prefer 25 left", and leave it to him to clear me for it. It's times like that that I feel I may be making things more difficult than they should be, but I want to get it right, and as a result, probably screw it up more by over analyzing it.

Since you were cleared for the right you had no clearance yet for the left. I'd go with your second option... "Yes, if that works for you I'd like the left." Then you'll get a new clearance to land on the other runway.

Probably with a "Change to runway 25 Left, cleared for the option." That's their phraseology for a runway change.

If they need to work you into traffic it can include something like, "Extend your downwind, I'll call your base, EXPECT runway 25 Left."

Let them do the clearing and never assume. But if you want something just ask. Saying it would be "great" is fine, too. Like you did.

There's no real right or wrong when they're querying you about what you want. Just talk to them. It's your preference. You're PIC. :)

Now, there is right and wrong when discussing whether to acknowledge a clearance you didn't receive, and that's wrong, which is why I'd stay away from the first option you listed. Don't ever make up a clearance. Let them give it to you.

If you can swing it, a tower tour opens up your eyes to what they're doing and makes them a lot more human. Most towers can do it with an appointment.

You did good. Practice more and it gets easier. :)

Ha, I remember one of my first solo's. The airport fire department set a plane on fire and the smoke fully obscured the approach end of the runway while on final. Thanks a lot...

Congrats.

As a former ATC Tower Operator, just about anything can happen. Someone else can declare an emergency, or if you're flying near the coast, you might get a quick moving fog or scud move in. But my advice would be to keep two things in mind. If it gets really busy and your're feeling overwhelmed, tell the tower you are cancelling your landing request and you'll get back to them. Or, of you're disoriented, you can request to fly over the field at 500 or 1000 feet above pattern altitude to get orientated. I've given that instruction to both student pilots and licensed pilots before, though more often before the advent of GPS. As an aside, there was a twin who entered downwind one night. He turned base and he lost the rwy in the ground lights. When he called, he just fessed-up and said finished with 'Where did the runway go?' We're all too happy to help.

Back