1st project- Onex

So, is this Onex flying? :dunno:

Nope- bit of dust on the project.,other projects have gotten in the way.
Still working on 6Y9 runway extention, opening N. Fox Island airstrip, opening Two Hearted River Airstrip, working full time, wifes honey-doo list ( moving the whole backyard), MDOT Aeronautics GA Committee ,but I did just join EAA Chapter 1060 in hopes them kicking my A in gear:wink2:
I did do a bunch of flying in the Cherokee this summer, cool weather is here,snow soon, maybe back to the Onex N1091X ( reserved) soon.

Man, doesn't it suck when life gets in the way of life?!?!

Nope- bit of dust on the project.,other projects have gotten in the way.
Still working on 6Y9 runway extention, opening N. Fox Island airstrip, opening Two Hearted River Airstrip, working full time, wifes honey-doo list ( moving the whole backyard), MDOT Aeronautics GA Committee ,but I did just join EAA Chapter 1060 in hopes them kicking my A in gear:wink2:
I did do a bunch of flying in the Cherokee this summer, cool weather is here,snow soon, maybe back to the Onex N1091X ( reserved) soon.

At least you're busy in aviation...

Good luck with it. The Onex is looking more and more like the project for me.

It really is a great kit and the sheet metal/hole alignment is spot on.
A good flat surface and some clecos and you're good to go.
The time is in the deburring and finishing of the edges and some of the bending and fab work.
Only aircraft I've built before were RC models, this is just a big one.
Looks like the engine should be straight forward to assemble.
As I had mentioned before fuel burn and folding wings sold me on the idea,going to the work shop,talking to John, Jeremy and factory crew sold me on the project/purchase.

Just keep going at it a little at a time and it will eventually get finished. I am 9 years into a scratch built Sonex and if the weather permits will do the first flight this weekend. The plane itself especially the new kits with prepunched holes is very simple to build. The hardest part is always just getting time to actually build it.

Keith

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    223.2 KB · Views: 49
That is such a beautiful airplane. Hope you get it into the sky soon.

Last edited:
Just keep going at it a little at a time and it will eventually get finished. I am 9 years into a scratch built Sonex and if the weather permits will do the first flight this weekend. The plane itself especially the new kits with prepunched holes is very simple to build. The hardest part is always just getting time to actually build it.

Keith

Nice paint job! I suspect there is endless double-checking and triple-checking of everything prior to that first flight. Good luck!

Now that's a nice looking Sonex, anxious to hear about the flight.
What engine?
Instruments/panel?

Keith

I'm in awe that someone could scratch-build a Sonex. It's even painted!

As for Onex, I'm rooting for Mr. El Con, primarily because I can only fit into Sonexes on center. I have great hopes for Onexes, but since I'm not a builder, I can only cheer for sidelines for more of those built and coming into market.

Now that's a nice looking Sonex, anxious to hear about the flight.
What engine?
Instruments/panel?

The flight went well. So I don't hijack your thread there is a full writeup on the flight over at sonexbuilders.net.

The plane is aerovee powered. Nothing special about the insturments. It has a startomaster X as the main flight insturment and engine monitor, a backup airspeed indicator, a GT50 g-meter/volt meter/clock, and an ICOM A-6 wired into a PS-200 intercom and external antenna. Everythign was bought used from either other builders or the oshkosh fly-mart so I have less than $500 in the panel. Eventually I would like to add a transponder and upgrade the stratomaster to an enigma and I am working on an arduino based AOA indicator but for now I have everythign I need for day VFR flying.

Keith

The flight went well. So I don't hijack your thread there is a full writeup on the flight over at sonexbuilders.net.

The plane is aerovee powered. Nothing special about the insturments. It has a startomaster X as the main flight insturment and engine monitor, a backup airspeed indicator, a GT50 g-meter/volt meter/clock, and an ICOM A-6 wired into a PS-200 intercom and external antenna. Everythign was bought used from either other builders or the oshkosh fly-mart so I have less than $500 in the panel. Eventually I would like to add a transponder and upgrade the stratomaster to an enigma and I am working on an arduino based AOA indicator but for now I have everythign I need for day VFR flying.

Keith

Congrats on the first flight...:cheers::cheers:

Back