1st project- Onex

el con

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
The Flied Piper
I've wanted to build an airplane and fly it.
Although they're absolutely great airplanes(RV's) I didn't want to spend that kind of time or money and I needed something small that would fit in my hanger with the Cherokee.
I'm about 30 hrs into the project and have the vertical /rudder and the horizontal/elevator done. Starting on the fuselage this weekend.
Anybody else out there working on a Onex/Sonex/Waiex?
Are we having fun yet:yes: !!!!!

Brad I saw them up at osh. They look exceptionally reasonable as far as price goes.

Brad I saw them up at osh. They look exceptionally reasonable as far as price goes.

Yep pretty reasonable although Diz thinks I'm crazy to spend ,build and fly it.
I would have built the two seater but the big seller was that with folding wings it would be able to fit in with the Cherokee.
Cruise 155 mph(131 kts), areobatic. 3.5-4gph and cheap and fun to fly.
Gotta get it built first though.

I've wanted to build an airplane and fly it.
Although they're absolutely great airplanes(RV's) I didn't want to spend that kind of time or money and I needed something small that would fit in my hanger with the Cherokee.
I'm about 30 hrs into the project and have the vertical /rudder and the horizontal/elevator done. Starting on the fuselage this weekend.
Anybody else out there working on a Onex/Sonex/Waiex?
Are we having fun yet:yes: !!!!!

Pictures as the work progresses would be greatly appreciated.

Congratulations, Brad!

I hope you're enjoying the build ... (I sometime miss my Sonex project and do imagine I'll build again, someday. Big fun, and satisfying to turn 2-D drawings into 3-D parts made out of metal - probably even more fun to assemble them into something resembling an airplane.)

Just looked through the photos - I remember some of those parts, and my piano hinge drilling fixture ... good times.

Excited for you! :D

Last edited:
Did you consider the flush rivet option? I know it's more work, but I've seen a Sonex flush riveted and it looked fantastic.

Cool. I hope to one day have the time to build. Can't wait to see it.

I have a buddy building a Onex. He has built RV's and just wanted to do something different.

Did you consider the flush rivet option? I know it's more work, but I've seen a Sonex flush riveted and it looked fantastic.

I did consider it, flush rivets look awesome ,but a lot of time with the dimple dies. I'm a Piper Cherokee driver now so I'm used to exposed rivet heads. John Monett said in the Sonex workshop if you wanted to build a show plane use the flush rivets as far as performance goes it makes little difference and the exposed rivet heads work a little like vortex generators and disrupt the airflow. Could be, I'm trying to get this done to fly it. I paid the extra for pre-assembled wing spars and the machined angle parts,supposed to take 200 hrs or so out of the build. As first time builder and after looking at all the parts and tools needed ,as slow as I go and scratching my head,:mad2: it will probably save me 400 hrs.:yes:

I have a buddy building a Onex. He has built RV's and just wanted to do something different.

They have sold quite a few Onex kit's and plans. Mine is S/n 0109 and there were a few more kits sold that weekend.
I've reserved my N number for it N 1091X ,now looking for a catchy name and nose art for it.
The "Warden" (wife) already nixed:no: the "Juan X the Cleco Bandito".:lol:

Congratulations, Brad!

I hope you're enjoying the build ... (I sometime miss my Sonex project and do imagine I'll build again, someday. Big fun, and satisfying to turn 2-D drawings into 3-D parts made out of metal - probably even more fun to assemble them into something resembling an airplane.)

Just looked through the photos - I remember some of those parts, and my piano hinge drilling fixture ... good times.

Excited for you! :D
I am enjoying it, hope you are having fun with your new toy also. Got the pedal situation under control?

I am enjoying it, hope you are having fun with your new toy also. Got the pedal situation under control?

Heh ... I think so. But haven't had a chance to fly yet. Maybe tomorrow, if my warden is available.

Awesome :D Where are you building it? The pictures don't look like they're inside of a hangar, but I may be wrong.

How do the folding wings secure?

They have sold quite a few Onex kit's and plans. Mine is S/n 0109 and there were a few more kits sold that weekend.
I've reserved my N number for it N 1091X ,now looking for a catchy name and nose art for it.
The "Warden" (wife) already nixed:no: the "Juan X the Cleco Bandito".:lol:

Your wife has good taste! :lol:

"Cleco Bandito". :mad2:

Go with the ME109 theme! :yes:

Very cool! And the crock pots are a great idea for those long cross-countries...just make sure to empty them before you go aerobatic (unless you stick to the Bob Hoover 1g rolls). You experimental guys get all the perks....

Awesome :D Where are you building it? The pictures don't look like they're inside of a hangar, but I may be wrong.

How do the folding wings secure?
I have space above my office. Already heated ,elec . air compressor, good light.
Kind of a loft area, as you can see some other misc. storage stuff around that belong to my kids(crockpot trio)etc. But more than enough space.
Michigan ,unheated hanger , too cold.

Pretty substantial steel pins lock the three piece spar in place and some red tabs that pop up when it's unlocked . Sonex has a video on their website www.sonexaircraft.com showing the folding wings and the pins. I looked at that really close before I bought. I'm satisfied with it ,it's really robust. I guess if it does fail I'll only have an issue with it from the time it happens till I hit the ground:hairraise:

John Monett said in the Sonex workshop if you wanted to build a show plane use the flush rivets as far as performance goes it makes little difference and the exposed rivet heads work a little like vortex generators and disrupt the airflow.

Well, that's good info, thanks. If John said it, I pretty much believe it.

I drive a Bonanza which is about 80% flush riveted. don't know if it helps the perf, but man, it looks sharp.

Well, that's good info, thanks. If John said it, I pretty much believe it.

I drive a Bonanza which is about 80% flush riveted. don't know if it helps the perf, but man, it looks sharp.

I love Bonanzas/ Debonairs
Someday when I grow up I want F33 with 285 hp(or 300), I hear the v tails are a little faster but I really like the conventional tail.
Aw heck , I'd take either:yes:

Just name it "The Most Interesting Airplane in the World" and only share the "Cleco Bandito" name with flying buddies. ;)

Hey Brad if you don't name your one x the most interesting airplane in the world then I think that will be the name for my Mooney. I like it :yes:

Someday when I grow up I want F33 with 285 hp(or 300), I hear the v tails are a little faster but I really like the conventional tail.

Yeah, but why grow up?

It's never too late to have a happy childhood! :)

And I love the Sonex/Waiex/Onex group. As for the Bo/Deb, the Dep is slower due to the fixed cowl flaps and the extra tail surface, but it has a higher price in the market due to the concern about in flight break-up. So, the value play is the Bo, just like the value play in the EXP category is the Sonex family. Wise minds think alike. :D

Looks like a fun project! I won't be able to start banging rivets until at least late Jan., maybe Feb. Enjoy the build.

And I love the Sonex/Waiex/Onex group. As for the Bo/Deb, the Dep is slower due to the fixed cowl flaps and the extra tail surface, but it has a higher price in the market due to the concern about in flight break-up. So, the value play is the Bo, just like the value play in the EXP category is the Sonex family. Wise minds think alike. :D

I don't understand the V tail break up thing, thought that was fixed years ago with the braces at the leading edge of the ruddervators.(I think that's what you call them)
If it weren't for hanger space and the folding wings I'd probably be building a Waiex. Well back to the workbench clecoing the fuse together tonight.

Looks like a fun project! I won't be able to start banging rivets until at least late Jan., maybe Feb. Enjoy the build.

What project have you decided on. I don't think I've followed your thread since you started looking awhile back.

Hey Brad if you don't name your one x the most interesting airplane in the world then I think that will be the name for my Mooney. I like it :yes:

Well it is a great name but I think I'm going to keep looking. So go ahead and use the name you're young and looking for chicks:lol:It may help you be "The most interesting man in the world". Maybe even be in a beer commercial someday:wink2:

Yeah, but why grow up?

It's never too late to have a happy childhood! :)

Oh yeah building/flying helps pass the time when the girls are at chorus ,right:yes: I hear your wife is in the "Sweet Adelines"---- cult also:wink2:

I don't understand the V tail break up thing, thought that was fixed years ago with the braces at the leading edge of the ruddervators.(I think that's what you call them)
If it weren't for hanger space and the folding wings I'd probably be building a Waiex. Well back to the workbench clecoing the fuse together tonight.

Shhhh, the Bo will still fall apart in the air. Spread the word!(j/k)

I thought the Waiex and Sonex had removable wings, but I guess not.

Shhhh, the Bo will still fall apart in the air. Spread the word!(j/k)

I thought the Waiex and Sonex had removable wings, but I guess not.

The Onex has folding wings(seconds to do each one) the rest have removable wings, fairly easy but not something you do quickly or by yourself.I think they said a half an hour to unbolt and remove with two people.

Another Adeline's widower? Heh. ;)

They do have a great time and we've met some great friends. I just wish my wife wouldn't have found out she's a baritone:hairraise: and wears purple all the time now:yes:
POA has really been great also and we've met lot's of new friends, but I can wear whatever color I want. Wait a minute why do I have this urge to paint my project purple:lol:

What project have you decided on. I don't think I've followed your thread since you started looking awhile back.
Found a deal I simply couldn't pass up on an RV_7a project. I have to go pick it up in January.

Very cool! I too saw the Onex at OSH. I love it. Keep us updated on your progress.

Back