1st Hour Logged for PPL!

Josh Parker

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Park6361
First post of I'm sure many. I'm in Louisville KY, 30 years old, with aspirations of mainly pleasure flight, but also being a CFI one day, and some commercial charter part time. After having a dream of flying, and being in a rotary wing aviation unit (support), I have taken the first step, and I did a "discovery flight/first lesson" yesterday with a local school. I've been doing extensive online training with Sporty's, and having a good background knowledge.
The CFI is a younger guy earning time toward being UPS pilot. He told me up front he's new to this, and I think i'm his second student. Regardless he was a knowledgeable and great instructor and we clicked. Although i'm going to take another lesson with a different school/CFI, and that school has a much more structured approach. My biggest concern is making sure I can do all chart nav/sectional without GPS, and I mentioned to not let me touch GPS/foreflight until i'm great at charts, although he mentioned to have it handy to check my work.
I was able to pick up on all radio comms, look and interperate METAR/TAF as weather wasn't 100% (rain rolling in and ceiling dropping, but it was 11000 ft brk at time of flight). We went through pre-flight and i was able to call out everything except I didn't know what static ports were (he taught me). I started it, he did radio and taxi to run up area. I did the run up checks. He took us to runway, made the calls and he took off straight out of pattern. Shortly after he demonstrated the 4 fundamentals, he had me do them (steep and regular turns, climbs(RIGHT RUDDER!) and descents. I did 360 turn (horrible track, but I kept altitude/speed) back to the airport and just before entering pattern he took back over, did touch and go, entered pattern and landed. I did post flight, and that was it. Even got .5 of that hour in night time!

Good luck on the rest of your training!
Thank you! That first flight was equally nerve racking/overwhelming and fun! I did great on some things, then I got the low kick in the pants reality check question, "where are we?" I had no idea. I found out because i looked around and saw downtown 20 miles away, but didn't know where the airport was.

Glad you enjoyed. Just remember, you’ll have good days and frustrating days, probably when you begin learning to land the plane. Don’t let it get to you. Persist and it will happen, and one day your CFI will exit the plane and you’ll be up there by yourself. One of the greatest accomplishments and feelings in the world, IMO. Good luck!

Glad you enjoyed. Just remember, you’ll have good days and frustrating days, probably when you begin learning to land the plane. Don’t let it get to you. Persist and it will happen, and one day your CFI will exit the plane and you’ll be up there by yourself. One of the greatest accomplishments and feelings in the world, IMO. Good luck!
Thank's for the info! I definitely am going to expect some frustration, but i'm about the challenge. I'm already yelling at myself "right rudder, airspeed!"

Sounds like fun, good for you! I took me 9 years from my first discovery flight to actually start flight training but it was F U U U N! Although I did (too) have days when thinking about quitting when nothing was going my way, but I found out that feeling is natural and you just have to stick with it. And thinking about my first solo still gives me goosebumps.
Enjoy the ride and come to POA with any questions ;)

Thank's for the info! I definitely am going to expect some frustration, but i'm about the challenge. I'm already yelling at myself "right rudder, airspeed!"
For added realism, paint a hold short line at the end of your driveway.

Do keep posting your progress. Reading how new students are learning is a good thing for soon to be fledgeling CFI's like me.

ended up with a noob cfi starting out, took about 30 hrs to decide to dump & go with experience, but ymmv

cheers

At times it can feel frustrating, over- whelming, discouraging and scary.

There will be times when you ask yourself, "Am I really cut out for this?".

Just keep moving forward at your own pace, even when it feels your aren't getting anywhere. Learning to become a pilot is a long term process that never actually ends. You will, however, develop confidence in fits and starts.

Enjoy the journey and don't be too self-critical. You WILL reach your goal.

Don't sweat the navigation stuff (using charts and GPS and finding airports and such) yet.
All of that will get way easier once you're not having to actively think about what your hands and feet are doing all the time.
As long as your CFI knows where the airport is, just enjoy the ride! :)

Congrats! It’s a lot of fun, isn’t it?

Great job. Enjoy!! Remember this moment as one of your richest for awhile. Both in joy and financially. The bug is expensively addictive!!!

I always make this recommendation to new student pilots. Audio record your lessons. Your cfi will say a lot of stuff during your lessons and you will probably be lucky to process half of it while in the air.

I recorded mine due to the fact that I was on the slow boat training route ($$$). I would refly my training missions on MSFX while listening to the audio. Also helpful in remembering radio calls.

If you go this route you will need a digital recorder and a headset pigtail made for this purpose.

Good luck and have fun!

Reactions: pd8
Congrats Josh! I am also 30 (just turned), and I’m doing my Instrument right now. I just finished my PPL in July. It is challenging but worth it! We have similar aspirations. I too just really want to fly for pleasure but also want to instruct one day and do charter work part time.

First post of I'm sure many. I'm in Louisville KY, 30 years old, with aspirations of mainly pleasure flight, but also being a CFI one day, and some commercial charter part time. After having a dream of flying, and being in a rotary wing aviation unit (support), I have taken the first step, and I did a "discovery flight/first lesson" yesterday with a local school. I've been doing extensive online training with Sporty's, and having a good background knowledge.
The CFI is a younger guy earning time toward being UPS pilot. He told me up front he's new to this, and I think i'm his second student. Regardless he was a knowledgeable and great instructor and we clicked. Although i'm going to take another lesson with a different school/CFI, and that school has a much more structured approach. My biggest concern is making sure I can do all chart nav/sectional without GPS, and I mentioned to not let me touch GPS/foreflight until i'm great at charts, although he mentioned to have it handy to check my work.
I was able to pick up on all radio comms, look and interperate METAR/TAF as weather wasn't 100% (rain rolling in and ceiling dropping, but it was 11000 ft brk at time of flight). We went through pre-flight and i was able to call out everything except I didn't know what static ports were (he taught me). I started it, he did radio and taxi to run up area. I did the run up checks. He took us to runway, made the calls and he took off straight out of pattern. Shortly after he demonstrated the 4 fundamentals, he had me do them (steep and regular turns, climbs(RIGHT RUDDER!) and descents. I did 360 turn (horrible track, but I kept altitude/speed) back to the airport and just before entering pattern he took back over, did touch and go, entered pattern and landed. I did post flight, and that was it. Even got .5 of that hour in night time!

Welcome to the sky

Have fun with your training. Some days will feel great and others will leave you wondering if this is really for you. Don't worry, it will come together. Don't worry about 'when will I solo", either. It will happen when it happens (and you have your medical in hand). Heck, at age 30 this should be easy. I took my PP check ride two days after turning 49 (and was 59 when I passed my IR ride(s)). Keep us informed of your progress and feel free to ask questions. Just remember, not all answers received here are equal. :p

Back