For Sale: Aircraft 1982 Piper Archer II - $80,000 - SOLD

NealRomeoGolf

En-Route
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
NRG
I am waiving the ROC rule in which you cannot comment on the price. I would like feedback from the group. No need to comment about how Archers aren't worthy of being bought and sold. I am just having a hard time settling on a price before I go to the commercial publications. This is what I posted on the PA28 Facebook page. Price was set based on other listings I have seen on TAP. This is not just a post about what the price could be.....it really is for sale with my purchase now pending for next week pickup. And yes, I know I need better pics. Will get some if I end up going the TAP route.

I am selling my 1982 Piper Archer II. Offering is contingent on me closing on a plane currently under prebuy. Price: $80,000. Lots of upgrades:

Dual Garmin G5s
Garmin GNC355 GPS
PS Engineering 7000B audio panel
EI CGR-30P engine monitor
Freeflight Rangr ADSB in and out (978)
Century 21 autopilot
KX155 Nav/Com 2 with glideslope
KN64 DME
KT76A transponder
LED landing light
LED NAV/strobe wingtips
Tanis engine heater

Approx 1400 SMOH
Approx 5950 total time
Annual Nov 2019
Transponder cert due Aug 2020
IFR check due Aug 2020

Plane does have some 100 hour inspections from its early life but the service life calculation would be well under the proposed wing spar AD amount.

Blackstone oil analysis has been done for years even before I bought it so trends exist for many years.

Engine runs perfectly. Have never had a hiccup. Interior is original but in really good shape. Paint also original and in really good shape.

Plane always hangared. Located in central Illinois.

N84699-1.jpg N84699-2.jpg N84699-3.jpg N84699-4.jpg N84699-5.jpg N84699-6.jpg N84699-7.jpg

P.S. @Pilawt I was hoping for some historical perspective on the paint. My plane is a late 82 build, which means I think this is actually an 83 model?? And then someone told me I have the 84-85 paint scheme. Kinda confused me. Opinion on what paint scheme I have??

Nice looking bird... what are the compressions?

never heard of Freeflight Rangr but that doesn't mean anything. I don't really want to comment on the price U set for UR plane and if it's worth it or not. only thing I'll say is if I had 80k to spend I don't think it'd be on an archer. so basically, as usual, my input didn't help one bit.

never heard of Freeflight Rangr but that doesn't mean anything. I don't really want to comment on the price U set for UR plane and if it's worth it or not. only thing I'll say is if I had 80k to spend I don't think it'd be on an archer. so basically, as usual, my input didn't help one bit.
FreeFlight is kind of the lesser known ADSB provider on the market. This unit makes it so you can keep an old transponder like I have. It was installed before I got the plane. This plane has been ADSB compliant for over 5 years. It has anonymous mode but I have never used it. Wirelessly sends traffic and weather to FlyQ, ForeFlight, Avare, etc. Picture 6 is of the Rangr unit (and the tach of course).

It does look nice. I don’t understand aircraft values at all so I’m no help. How that plane can be worth 20-30k more than my Mooney with less than 200 SMOH and a fresh leather interior boggles my mind, but I’m not criticizing your number, it seems high to me, but I feel that way about most pipers and Cessna 172s. The high time engine might signal the need to go lower.

it seems high to me, but I feel that way about most pipers and Cessna 172s. The high time engine might signal the need to go lower.
If we’re allowed to critique the price, I’d agree with you. It’s a tad high... I’d say $65k is more in the ballpark, but he does have a fairly upgraded panel so that will bump up the value.

Nonetheless it’s a very nice airplane and I wish you well on the sale OP!

I would agree a little high, but not a bad starting point for negotiation... guess it depends how fast you want to sell it. It's very....brown lol. Doesn't bother me a bit, but it will turn off some people.

Thanks. It has served me well, but it is time to go faster. :)
Well I was going to ask if you were giving it up or moving to a different plane... Definitely hoping for the latter.
Wondering what you've decided on?
Feel free to dodge the question, PM, or completely ignore me :D

Well I was going to ask if you were giving it up or moving to a different plane... Definitely hoping for the latter.
Wondering what you've decided on?
Feel free to dodge the question, PM, or completely ignore me :D
As long as prebuy on Thursday goes well, I am picking up a Lance next week.

Since you asked... I think you need to drop at least $10K to be competitive and generate some interest. There are a couple of PA28-181's on TAP that while slightly older have lower TT and a lot lower TSMOH and are priced $20K - $23K lower. While they don't have your avionics, $20K would buy them a nice panel... Good Luck with your sale!

It does look nice. I don’t understand aircraft values at all so I’m no help. How that plane can be worth 20-30k more than my Mooney with less than 200 SMOH and a fresh leather interior boggles my mind, but I’m not criticizing your number, it seems high to me, but I feel that way about most pipers and Cessna 172s. The high time engine might signal the need to go lower.
Mooneys are undervalued in the market, probably because they don't easily fit those wide of beam.

Nice plane. Good luck on the sale. Valuation of planes where the avionics represent a big piece of the price is difficult.

Wow that's got some nice equipment in it. That thing is worth at least $30k more than a similar airplane with a junky panel.

P.S. @Pilawt I was hoping for some historical perspective on the paint. My plane is a late 82 build, which means I think this is actually an 83 model?? And then someone told me I have the 84-85 paint scheme. Kinda confused me. Opinion on what paint scheme I have??
What's the serial number? During those years, the first two digits after the "28-" were the model year; the next two digits indicated the exact variant of PA-28 ("90" indicated a PA-28-181), then the sequential serial number of that model for that model year.

For example, serial number "28-8590015" means it is the 15th Archer II built for the 1985 model year, even if it was built in late 1984.

1981 Paint scheme:
pa-28-181_1981.jpg

1982:
pa-28-181_1982b.jpg

1983:
pa-28-181_1983.jpg

1984 and 1985:
N4382D_28-8590015_891027_UDD.JPG

I went back and looked at your photos (pretty airplane!). Your serial number 28-8290067 means it’s the 67th Archer II of the 1982 model year.

Your paint is an excellent copy of the 1984-85 scheme. Usually such copies are cheesy and don’t get the lines and proportions right, but yours is very hard to tell from an original ‘84-‘85. Even the logos, N-number font and decals are right. Makes me wonder if perhaps the factory repainted it under a warranty claim or something.

I went back and looked at your photos (pretty airplane!). Your serial number 28-8290067 means it’s the 67th Archer II of the 1982 model year.

Your paint is an excellent copy of the 1984-85 scheme. Usually such copies are cheesy and don’t get the lines and proportions right, but yours is very hard to tell from an original ‘84-‘85. Even the logos, N-number font and decals are right. Makes me wonder if perhaps the factory repainted it under a warranty claim or something.
I will have to back through the logs. I don't remember any repainting noted. So I guess I do have an 84-85 paint scheme then even though it is an 82 model. Weird.

I found the log entry. It was repainted in 1986. No mention of why and no mention of damage. Weird.

@NealRomeoGolf -- I think the advertised price sounds high.

That said -- Sometimes people will look at the $80k request and say "What's so great about this plane" and potentially offer based on the ask.
Many will see it and move to the next ad.

My best guess is that it will sell in the low $60k's regardless of your marketed ask.

I found the log entry. It was repainted in 1986. No mention of why and no mention of damage. Weird.

I flew a 74 Cherokee 140 at one point that had a 1 line entry in the airframe logbook sometime in the first year of its life: 'Replaced tailplane assembly with factory parts, return to service'. That was the only paper evidence that someone pulled down a powerline with the vertical stab.

I flew a 74 Cherokee 140 at one point that had a 1 line entry in the airframe logbook sometime in the first year of its life: 'Replaced tailplane assembly with factory parts, return to service'. That was the only paper evidence that someone pulled down a powerline with the vertical stab.

You shouldn’t make editorial comments in the logs I’ve been told, just the facts.

When I was looking to buy, I was surprised how much Archers sold for. They’re a popular plane and seem to have good resale value. For me, a faster plane (Comanche 250) was a better deal. I’d say with engine time where it is $80k may be a problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At this price, I’d be looking for everything. The engine time is a nonstarter for me, you’re offering a nice airplane with a $25,000 balloon payment in a few years.

At this price, I’d be looking for everything. The engine time is a nonstarter for me, you’re offering a nice airplane with a $25,000 balloon payment in a few years.
Concur. That would make it a slow $105k airplane with a small screen gps and ancient autopilot and funky adsb How old is the paint and interior?

should we stop offering our opinion yet?

First time I've ever seen a seller make the sale contingent on closing another purchase. Of anything really, not just a plane. No reason you can't, just never seen it.

I would say $65 is probably about right for what you'll end up selling it for, but I'd also suggest maybe ask for a little more and be willing to negotiate down. I've seen $65 to $70 for much lower time engine with decent avionics out there. There's a buyer for your plane, to be sure, but if you start at $70 you may garner more interest while knowing you can be talked down a little.

Good luck with the sell and buy!

Concur. That would make it a slow $105k airplane with a small screen gps and ancient autopilot and funky adsb How old is the paint and interior?

should we stop offering our opinion yet?
Nope. Keep it coming.

Nope. Keep it coming.
Just so you know I’m not casting shade at your plane at all. I have the same ancient auto pilot and a similar small screen GPS and the same engine analyzer. And a non-Garmin ADSB. When I was buying I looked at the Archer but decided to go with an Arrow as it was The same money

$65K.. at $80K you get into Mooney (older) and some Bonanza territory. I love the PA28 but I think that price might be a little rich considering that for similar money you can go faster and/or have a bigger cabin

with a small screen gps and ancient autopilot and funky adsb
FWIW the GNX 375 is top of the line. Granted, it’s no 750 or anything, but it’s far from being ‘funky ADSB’ or anything.

FWIW the GNX 375 is top of the line. Granted, it’s no 750 or anything, but it’s far from being ‘funky ADSB’ or anything.

The OP's Archer does not have a GNX375 (transponder/GPS/ADSB), its a GNC355 GPS/com, KT76A transponder + Freeflight Rangr ADSB in and out

The OP's Archer does not have a GNX375 (transponder/GPS/ADSB), its a GNC355 GPS/com, KT76A transponder + Freeflight Rangr ADSB in and out
Doh! Missed that description. Saw the photo and thought it was a 375.

Back