Sold 1977 Cessna 414

Ted

The pilot formerly known as Twin Engine Ted
Display Name

Display name:
iFlyNothing
For sale is Cloud Nine's 1977 414, which we are selling due to an upgrade. We have owned this aircraft for close to two years. Prior to our purchase, the same gentleman had owned it for approximately 15 years and flew it very little. In the past two years, I've flown it roughly 250 hours all over the country (including to St. Croix) and it really has been a very good airplane. Its progress has been documented in the thread linked in my signature since we got it. Airplane has 4-bladed MT Propellers as well as a number of other new items, listed below. This airplane started off as a corporate aircraft, spent most of its time on corporate and then 135, and then the man I bought it from owned it. It really has had good maintenance, is corrosion free with zinc chromate, and has complete logbooks since new. Aircraft is de-iced (not FIKI, but within FIKI S/N range). Boots, hot props, and alcohol windshield all work. ~1575 lb useful load. Pressurization reaches maximum differential.

The airplane had the paint & interior redone in the 80s. I would call it 7.5/10. Both are in good shape with no pieces of paint mission. The seats in the cabin look new other than the pilot and copilot's seats. Those are showing some more wear on them but are still comfortable.

Specs as follows. Hours are approximate:

Airframe: 4500TT
Engines: 1200/1600 SMOH (25-30 years on heavy case TSIO-520-NBs)
Propellers: 175 SNEW (December 2016)
Fuel: 203 gallons (factory)
Electric AC (inop, but complete)
Janitrol heater
Pitot/Stat expires 6/2018
Annual expires 7/2018

Within the past two years and 250 hours, the plane has received the following new items:

- MT 4-bladed propellers (a huge improvement)
- Goodyear Flight Custom III tires w/new tubes
- Tempest fine-wire spark plugs
- Both fuel selectors overhauled
- New nacelle tank bladders (both sides)
- New transfer pumps (both tip tanks and right side nacelle tank)
- Overhauled fuel systems (both engines)
- Overhauled magnetos (all 4)
- New ignition harnesses (all 4)
- All fuel and oil hoses replaced with new
- New turbochager (left engine)
- Left engine exhaust is almost completely new
- Some newer components on right exhaust
- New Hartzell ALV-9610 alternators with new couplers on both engines
- Cooling Baffles redone (both engines)
- Nose strut rebuilt
- New outer aileron bearings (both sides)
- New Concorde AGM battery with trickle charger outlet in left wing locker
- Aircraft Security Medeco locks (currently only installed in nose baggage)
- Both Airspeed Indicators replaced (includes markings for speeds with VGs)
- Micro VGs added
- Extensive weight reduction performed. Aircraft is approximately 150 lbs lighter than it was when we bought it, including removal of 4 antennas from the belly of the aircraft
- Aveo Engineering LED nav and strobe lights in the wing tips and tail stringer
- New JPI EDM 760 engine monitor (hooked into the wiring harness from the previous Insight Gem 1200)

The panel in this plane is your standard /A. No on-board radar. Just a KX155, King Com, KNS 80, and standard old Century HSI. The Nav-O-Matic 400B autopilot works well overall although the connection on the back of the attitude indicator sometimes gets loose and will cause erratic pitch.

The bad: This airplane has 3 burned valves on the left engine. Personally I would not fly it (other than a local ferry flight) until it gets fixed. I won't do any engine runs on the left engine for this reason, and won't do any demo flights in the plane. The left wing tank has some blue staining around the top after sitting for a long time with the tank full. So there's probably a seep there. There also seems to be a seep from the right tip tank. I had this repaired at annual but apparently he didn't get it fixed right.

Although I was previously planning on putting new engines from RAM on it, the filters have always been good on both engines. You could put a new engine on the left side, or just replace the cylinders with burned valves and keep flying it. Add a 430W and GTX 335 and it'll be ADS-B compliant. Or go all out with RAM VIIs and a fully decked out panel. My asking price on the aircraft is basically equivalent to the value of the new parts put in it over the past 2 years, meaning that you buy $100k worth of parts and get a free airplane. The corrosion free aspect, being a '77, MT propellers, etc. make this a great candidate for someone looking to make an airplane "theirs" or get a nice 414 flying inexpensively. I see 200+ KTAS in the low flight levels on 100 PPH/engine ROP (31"/2300 RPM).

I have removed the "entertainment center", tray tables, and divider between the cockpit and the cabin. However these are all included and can be reinstalled if desired.

If purchased by someone from out of town, I can help with coordination of repairs and test flights following repairs, as well as flight training in the aircraft if required by insurance.

Please PM me with any questions.

Thanks for your interest!

N620CA_July_2017-6 small.jpeg

N620CA_July_2017-15 small.jpeg

DSC_8072.JPG

Good luck with the sale.

What's next for Cloud 9? Downsizing to help with the dispatch rate and mx costs, or going all balla' and springing for the kerosene? Twin engine airplanes are truly the train wreck girl you are positive you can and should do without, but you miss the sex. :D:D

Good luck with the sale.

Thanks!

What's next for Cloud 9? Downsizing to help with the dispatch rate and mx costs, or going all balla' and springing for the kerosene? Twin engine airplanes are truly the train wreck girl you are positive you can and should do without, but you miss the sex. :D:D

We're upgrading. I'll make a separate post about it when the new bird arrives (which is supposed to be tomorrow). The upgrade was unexpected but we were met with the right combination of circumstances where it didn't make sense not to.

For what we do, we really do need to have a capable and speedy bird. Upgrading from the 310 was absolutely the right decision, and I did expect we'd upgrade from the 414 eventually. I just didn't expect it to be now, but am happy we're able to do it.

best of luck! looks like a great plane for someone willing to replace some cylinders. The fact that it's been run a lot the last couple of years should bode well for someone buying this. It hasn't been sitting on the ramp.

Reactions: Ted
best of luck! looks like a great plane for someone willing to replace some cylinders. The fact that it's been run a lot the last couple of years should bode well for someone buying this. It hasn't been sitting on the ramp.

Thanks! And yes, a potential buyer would have the option of changing a few cylinders (I'd recommend changing 5 on the left engine and just having a full top at that point) or changing the engine. Personally I think changing the cylinders out is just fine. Like you said, it's been flown a lot and has shown a good track record engine wise. Basically it's an opportunity to buy a 414 that I took from a project into a flying restoration, and then decide to continue restoring it or just fly it.

Let's start a poll and see if we can figure out Cloud Nine's new airplane type, before Ted lets the cat outta the bag. Or should that be before Ted lets the dog outta the kennel? o_O :confused:

Cessna 421, :D or

King Air 90 :eek:

I’m going to guess a turbo commander. Lugging dogs up air stairs has to suck.

Let's start a poll and see if we can figure out Cloud Nine's new airplane type, before Ted lets the cat outta the bag. Or should that be before Ted lets the dog outta the kennel? o_O :confused:

Ok I’ll take a guess - Pilatus?

One of the retiring 747s. That’ll move some dogs

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

95e7c53ca29a9e151f8489aaea8edacb_zip-lips-clipart-clipartsgramcom-zipped-lips-clipart_400-287.jpeg

Ok I’ll take a guess - Pilatus?

Might too new and costly for a Pilatus. But he said a step up, and I don't think he means climbing steps. Sounds like a kerosene aeromachine, maybe a Cheyenne, KA, or 421? Something in that area.

Might too new and costly for a Pilatus. But he said a step up, and I don't think he means climbing steps. Sounds like a kerosene aeromachine, maybe a Cheyenne, KA, or 421? Something in that area.

Since when do 421s burn Jet-A? Unless you get one of those Riley converted ones.

Whatever it is, I predict that Ted will want more power. :)

Whatever it is, I predict that Ted will want more power. :)

This one is actually a lower powered variant of its type. In this case, I'm actually happy having the lower power version because it results in engines that cost less to own.

What am I thinking of then, it's a cabin twin Cessna that burns Jet-A, or I'm way off base.

There are two. The 425 (Conquest 1), which is what @James_Dean and @N747JB fly, and then the 441 (Conquest II). The 425 has PT-6s, the 441 has TPE-331s, a larger cabin, and much more speed. The 425 is basically a 421 with PT-6s on it (oversimplified).

There are two. The 425 (Conquest 1), which is what @James_Dean and @N747JB fly, and then the 441 (Conquest II). The 425 has PT-6s, the 441 has TPE-331s, a larger cabin, and much more speed. The 425 is basically a 421 with PT-6s on it (oversimplified).

Thanks, I knew Cessna had a couple of them. Bill Elliot flys one, think it's a 425.

Thanks, I knew Cessna had a couple of them. Bill Elliot flys one, think it's a 425.

I recall hearing that as well. They make excellent planes.

"Yes, that really nice aisle lighting will take you to the emergency exit". Now, for the last time "Seatbelts on, seatbacks and tray tables upright and in the locked position".
This place is goin' to the dogs...

I recall hearing that as well. They make excellent planes.

Ole Bill had a collection of everything, even planes, plus his own paved airport. Had a Citation too.

api
staticmap

Last edited:
Ted, I am curious about the FIKI notation in the opening paragraph of the originating post. Did Cessna actually produce turbocharged, pressurized cabin-class twins without FIKI certification? :confused: o_O

Or did your airframe run afoul of some obscure FAA technicality during a prior equipment upgrade or something?

I post this here because I thought others may be interested in the answer, but PM me if you prefer.

Ted, I am curious about the FIKI notation in the opening paragraph of the originating post. Did Cessna actually produce turbocharged, pressurized cabin-class twins without FIKI certification? :confused: o_O

Or did your airframe run afoul of some obscure FAA technicality during a prior equipment upgrade or something?

I post this here because I thought others may be interested in the answer, but PM me if you prefer.

Good question.

FIKI certification was optional on the Twin Cessnas produced from... I believe 1975 and onwards. There is a particular S/N range for all Twin Cessnas for which FIKI may be applicable. This aircraft falls under that S/N range, so it could be FIKI.

In addition to being within that S/N range, it also must be equipped with the appropriate equipment, including boots (which it has), hot props (which it has), and a heated windshield for the 400 series. This does NOT have the heated windshield, it has an alcohol windshield, which is not allowable for FIKI on those aircraft.

There are a thousand different opinions on whether you need FIKI or not for Part 91. I personally don't worry about FIKI certification provided the equipment is there. In fact, I prefer the alcohol windshield to the heated windshield. The heated windshield is very expensive (much moreso than the non-heated) and if it breaks you need to replace the windshield. The alcohol windshield is a very simple system. 3 gallon reservoir, $50 pump, and some hard lines to carry the alcohol from the tank to the spray bars on the windshield. It works very well.

You could convert this aircraft to FIKI by replacing the alcohol windshield with electric.

When I worked at Cessna a new 414 was parked on the ramp overnight during typical winter weather. The pilots windshield had snow and ice on it in the morning. The area where the sensor was located had more ice than other parts and some of it was free of both. A tech decided to use the electric heat to clear the windshield. As I recall the windshield was coated by a transparent very thin gold film that was heated by resistant to current flow. Because the area where the sensor was located had the majority of the ice it overheated other parts of the windshield and distorted the plexiglass. Cessna had to replace the pilots half of the windshield and as I reacall in 1974 their cost was $3,000.

Drool... I wish.

In the late '90s I worked for a fellow who owned a 400LS. What a hot rod that thing was. His pilot invited me into the right seat on many of our long trips.

He replaced it with one of the earliest Lear 45s. The jet was comfortable, but a boring ride after the Cheyenne.

When I worked at Cessna a new 414 was parked on the ramp overnight during typical winter weather. The pilots windshield had snow and ice on it in the morning. The area where the sensor was located had more ice than other parts and some of it was free of both. A tech decided to use the electric heat to clear the windshield. As I recall the windshield was coated by a transparent very thin gold film that was heated by resistant to current flow. Because the area where the sensor was located had the majority of the ice it overheated other parts of the windshield and distorted the plexiglass. Cessna had to replace the pilots half of the windshield and as I reacall in 1974 their cost was $3,000.

Windshield heat to be used very carefully and only in flight. Add at least a zero to your number to replace one today....and then add +100 hrs of labor at a minimum.

Windshield heat to be used very carefully and only in flight. Add at least a zero to your number to replace one today....and then add +100 hrs of labor at a minimum.
I replaced on in 2008, bought the windshield at dealer cost from a friend and replaced the co-pilots side, since we were already tearing it apart. If I recall, it’s was $25K or a little more, but my insurance covered it as it broke in flight!! :D:D

Back