1969 Cherokee 140b shoulder harness install

RonP

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
RvP
I have a 1969 Cherokee 140B and recently had an unexpected windfall of some money to spend. The Cherokee only has lap belts and I would like front shoulder harness installed. If anyone has done this please let me know what documents are required and the cost.

Thanks

If anyone has done this please let me know what documents are required and the cost.
There are a number of options/costs depending on the direction you take. FAA made it easier with a policy letter that allows some mixing and matching of components that can keep costs down provided your mechanic is okay with it. Or you can go the STC route with BAS or Alpha. Each method will have its own price point. Perhaps check with your mechanic to see what he prefers?

I had these installed in 2008 and surprisingly they are about the same price as then. Installation is pretty simple for an A&P.

There is ( was?) a Piper Kit that’s bud installed in his 140.

I didn’t like it as the units attached low and could compress the spine!

Installing BAS harnesses in the front seats was the the first thing I did after buying each of my airplanes. I spent about $2,200 for each harness and another $500 or so for the installation. The Cessna 172N had only lap belts and I liked having the shoulder straps on an inertia reel for comfort and freedom while flying. That aircraft is now leased to a busy flight school and the BAS harnesses have held up well to hundreds of students and instructors. My Cherokee 6XT had a shoulder strap with an inertia reel but I wanted both shoulders secured.

For the C172 I chose the Standard buckle because that's what BAS said was the most popular. The shoulder straps are permanently attached to the lap belts. I really like this design. When I bought for the Piper I was surprised they didn't offered the Standard buckle; only the Utility buckle. The shoulder straps slip on to the tang of the lap belt. Frankly, I don't like the BAS Utility buckle. It's more trouble getting it connected and my front seat passengers struggle with the four separate straps. But, it's a small price and hassle to pay for having a four-point harness.

BAS provided excellent installation instructions. Both installations look like they are factory installed.

Back