1959 Piper Comanche 250 - good buy?

It doesn't have an autopilot, so everyone runs away. I'm not going to drop $15,000 on an autopilot just to sell it for ten bucks more than what I am/was asking for it.

I'd call up the guys at Brittain - could probably get a two-axis all in for five grand.

I'd call up the guys at Brittain - could probably get a two-axis all in for five grand.

In which case it "won't be good enough" and they buyer expects to pay exactly $0 more than what it would be without the A/P installed.

In which case it "won't be good enough" and they buyer expects to pay exactly $0 more than what it would be without the A/P installed.

(sigh)

Yep, you are right.

But if I wanted to get a good, reliable autopilot in a plane which did not have one (for me to fly), I'd do this.

(sigh)

Yep, you are right.

But if I wanted to get a good, reliable autopilot in a plane which did not have one (for me to fly), I'd do this.

True, but as I have no desire for an A/P I feel the price is/was reflected allowing the new owner to put in the A/P of his choice. I'm not going to put one in at a 90% discount for the buyer.

You're gonna be in Philly this weekend, right?

I sure will! Actually the wife decided to come along because she wants to spend the day touring around Philadelphia after we're done at the FlyBQ, so we got a car and are driving over from NYC early Saturday.

Dude, you missed a great opportunity to call me "Shirley". Hope you get the hint. Because if not, you are not worthy and I am not talking to you anymore. :D

But I was serious. You should know me by now. I do not make plain offers or promises. If you are ever up north, give me a shout and we'll catch a beer and pizza or some medium-rare juicy dead cow and we can talk ownership until you're sick of it. :lol:

Listen, Lou, I'm doing everything I can here, and stop calling me Shirley.

Ok, when I get back from NY, I'm going to have a little Aviator get together at the house and we'll talk then.

Dey doe mofo budda leg to the bone be jackin me up!

Last edited:

(sigh)

Yep, you are right.

Yep. My Commander is on the market, there's a lot of stuff folks won't pay for.... but cost a bunch to put in & "is expected"

You don't seem to know aircraft engines very well. This particular engine is a barking dog. It's as I said , common sense. However, you may have the last word that you obviously enjoy regardless of your being wrong.

Where and when did you get your A&P and how many have you overhauled and how many have you run past TBO? You seem to think that all you need to know about the engine is the time since the last overhaul. The equation is a bit more complicated than that.

What the hell does calling an engine a barking dog even mean. Forget common sense I would be greatful for some plain english.

What the hell does calling an engine a barking dog even mean. Forget common sense I would be greatful for some plain english.

An engine that is a barking dog is like a like a democrat in Kansas...plain 'nough?

Also, did you see the debonair in the classifieds here? Beautiful plane.

Yes it is. I spent about a half hour looking at in the hangar tonight, thinking back to trips I've done over the years in it. Flying it to Boulder tomorrow.

Will miss it for sure.

Back