1958 182 with 201 TTAF at Barrett Jackson

Nice museum piece. Or do you fly it and hope or rebuild first?

Nice museum piece. Or do you fly it and hope or rebuild first?

56 years since manufacture......I think if you bought it to fly, you'd want to at least do a tear down inspection first.

This would be a great airplane to go to the Smithsonian as they like to keep things original vice restoration.

That bird needs to fly. It would be a same to keep her locked up forever.

Is that paint and interior original? I thought most aircraft of that vintage had tiny tail numbers. :dunno:

Is that paint and interior original? I thought most aircraft of that vintage had tiny tail numbers. :dunno:

Prolly not...you're right...the numbers were small...but the paint "honors" the original scheme.

attachment.php

I REALLY want to paint mine with the original paint scheme...but not necessarily the original colors!

Attachments

• ce182-01.jpg
    ce182-01.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 697
The paint does appear to be original (or an original scheme), but it didn't have the full size n-number when it left the factory. It looks like that was added later and the original N-number is still on the vertical stab.

The paint does appear to be original (or an original scheme),

I really think (or at least hope) that even Cessna didn't have THAT bad of taste in colors in the 1950s !!!!! :rofl:

Here's an original scheme from a 1958 sales brochure...my bet is the yellow was added.

attachment.php

Attachments

• ces-182.jpg
    ces-182.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 757
It says 100%original so if it's been repainted, the description is wrong.

It says 100%original so if it's been repainted, the description is wrong.

And....

Sparky and Amy Assiter from Barrett -Jackson are huge airplane nuts who go to OSH about every year..... So they could have given their .02 cents about it being 100% original...

At least the manifold pressure readout gauge jives with the MSL of Casper Wy..:yes:

It says 100%original...

BTW...those wingtip position light reflectors aren't likely 1958 vintage.

A very small thing, granted...but...

Don't get me wrong, it's a beautiful bird, but 100% original. Highly unlikely, starting with those big N numbers and yellow paint...

A repaint devalues it significantly from OEM on the collectors value. That's a response to your lame ads "and" comment.

IF...

The "finishes" data plate is still in place (mine's not), then it'd be easy to determine if the colors are original.

I've spent quite a few hours on the phone with Cessna, et. al., trying to determine what my original color scheme was, as of yet, to no avail...all because a data plate is missing...

56 years since manufacture......I think if you bought it to fly, you'd want to at least do a tear down inspection first.

This would be a great airplane to go to the Smithsonian as they like to keep things original vice restoration.

If you want to buy it and donate it, I can put you in contact with the right curator. Still might be a hard sell as it's not particularly historically significant like the 180 they have (Gerrie Mock's) or the 152A (Kerschner). They had a real hard time getting the 152A when Kerscher's family wanted to donate it as there was a 150 in the collection already (a prior donation). Fortunately, they were able to deaccession the existing to the education department where my wife and a few of her volunteers converted it into a hands-on activity for the kids (that's the one sitting right at the bottom of the entry stairs at Udvar-Hazy.

BTW...those wingtip position light reflectors aren't likely 1958 vintage.
Actually, the factory photos do show those.

I'm not sure about the landing light in the wing leading edge though.

The paint colors are ugly enough (and do follow the paint design) to be original. It could have been a customer selection.

The "finish and trim" plate is located on the left side of the airplane on the lower door jamb directly above the M.A.A. name plate.

Example: 5-A-2-CD

where:

5 = Year
A = Exterior Color
2 = Upholstery Scheme
CD = Interior Trim Color

1958 options were:

Exterior:

A = Indigo Brown
B = Alpine White
C = Yuma Yellow
D = Rio Orange
E = Allegheny Green
F = Nairobi Black
G = Saturn Orange
J = Cumberland Cream

Upholstery:

2 = Sahara Gold
3 = Ankara Copper
4 = Camel Tan
5 = Azure Blue

Interior Trim:

H = Black and/or Ivory

Actually, the factory photos do show those.

I'm not sure about the landing light in the wing leading edge though.

The paint colors are ugly enough (and do follow the paint design) to be original. It could have been a customer selection.

You're right...I never noticed those "reflectors" and i even posted the photos.

The landing lights are stock.

Regardless of the accuracy issue, I think it looks pretty darn cool.

I really think (or at least hope) that even Cessna didn't have THAT bad of taste in colors in the 1950s !!!!! :rofl:

Here's an original scheme from a 1958 sales brochure...my bet is the yellow was added.

attachment.php

That's a beauty! I'd love to own a vintage 182 with those colors.

Looks original to me, though the 12" fuselage registration marks were probably added later.

Yeah, the colors are ugly. But don't forget that when that airplane was new, otherwise-sane people were driving around in Dodge Custom Royal sedans with three-tone coral, turquoise and black paint jobs ...

:hairraise:

Looks original to me, though the 12" fuselage registration marks were probably added later.

Yeah, the colors are ugly. But don't forget that when that airplane was new, otherwise-sane people were driving around in Dodge Custom Royal sedans with three-tone coral, turquoise and black paint jobs ...

:hairraise:

De Sotos too!

color combo makes me think of Homer Simpson in airplane form.

The paint does appear to be original (or an original scheme), but it didn't have the full size n-number when it left the factory. It looks like that was added later and the original N-number is still on the vertical stab.

That makes sense.

The airplane looked to be in pristine condition... from the outside. I wonder how it would look on inspection. I wonder if it has a current annual? Seems doubtful.

In any case, it's an exceedingly rare example.

So, do we want to start a pool on what it sells for? $10/head, winner takes all.

I guess I should ask...are Barrett-Jackson auction results published? That might be an important qualifier.

Funny, there are no shortage of classics out there, but so many have been molested with modern avionics, intercoms, seat belts, updated interiors and paint. There aren't many true original classics, and even fewer plying the skies. Understandable, though. Always fun to hear about these aviation "barn finds".

That makes sense.

The airplane looked to be in pristine condition... from the outside. I wonder how it would look on inspection. I wonder if it has a current annual? Seems doubtful.

In any case, it's an exceedingly rare example.

I would be surprised if it isn't in exceedingly good condition and flyable. Barrett-Jackson does not accept vehicles for consignment that are substandard.

So, do we want to start a pool on what it sells for? $10/head, winner takes all.

I guess I should ask...are Barrett-Jackson auction results published? That might be an important qualifier.

The auctions are broadcast live on cable (usually the Velocity and/or Discovery channels). The results are posted on the Barrett-Jackson website as soon as an item sells.

As noted, Barrett-Jackson sells (mostly) top shelf consignments. But, they rarely sell airplanes. The company has, essentially, created an overheated market for American classic cars, muscle cars and street rods. The sale prices at B-J auctions are usually the top of the market for those types of vehicles. The 182 will be an anomaly, a minor hiccup in the days long stream of Mustangs, Camaros, Corvettes, etc., that flow across the auction block.

If one of the one percenter collectors with eclectic tastes wants to one-up a fellow one-percenter who's across the room, the bidding could go through the roof. If, however, the airplane doesn't strike the fancy of one of those deep -pocketed bidders, and there are at least two knowledgeable folks who know what 182s are worth, I'd be surprised if it sold for much more than $100K, or so.

After all, a '58 182 is the aviation equivalent of a '58 Chevy Bel Air. Low mileage, original examples of cars like that tend to bring prices in that range.

The airplane is unique but not rare. IMO, it should bring at least double the price of a nice, older 182. But, this is an auction. If the right folks are in the room, all bets are off.

Mark

The auctions are broadcast live on cable (usually the Velocity and/or Discovery channels). The results are posted on the Barrett-Jackson website as soon as an item sells.

As noted, Barrett-Jackson sells (mostly) top shelf consignments. But, they rarely sell airplanes. The company has, essentially, created an overheated market for American classic cars, muscle cars and street rods. The sale prices at B-J auctions are usually the top of the market for those types of vehicles. The 182 will be an anomaly, a minor hiccup in the days long stream of Mustangs, Camaros, Corvettes, etc., that flow across the auction block.

If one of the one percenter collectors with eclectic tastes wants to one-up a fellow one-percenter who's across the room, the bidding could go through the roof. If, however, the airplane doesn't strike the fancy of one of those deep -pocketed bidders, and there are at least two knowledgeable folks who know what 182s are worth, I'd be surprised if it sold for much more than $100K, or so.

After all, a '58 182 is the aviation equivalent of a '58 Chevy Bel Air. Low mileage, original examples of cars like that tend to bring prices in that range.

The airplane is unique but not rare. IMO, it should bring at least double the price of a nice, older 182. But, this is an auction. If the right folks are in the room, all bets are off.

Mark

Several factors play into a sale at B-J......

If it a Weds sale.. it will go cheap..

Thurs sale will be higher..

Fri will be even higher..

Sat prime time will bring in the big bucks...

BUT... Ron Pratt sold his collection and he was about the only aviation buyer at B-J...

So.. I will predict it hammers for 32,500.00...:rolleyes::redface:

Some of Scottsdale is shown live. Much of it however is taped.

Back