1958 182 with 201 TTAF at Barrett Jackson

Well I was an adult in 1958 and I owned a 58 Lane with a similar paint design in the early 60's - no yellow though - and the paint scheme was plausible for that era (ya hadda been there to understand - if you weren't you won't)
If the wing tip reflectors are not from that era they must have used a Delorean to get back there because mine had them (shrug)

There was a 1950 something Comanche a few years that had something like 100 hours TTAF. IIRC, they got a bundle for it, way more than it was probably worth. I'm with the "put it a museum" crowd on this one. It would be a shame to put it out in the flight line as a "daily driver" where it could be damaged or destroyed or worse yet, brought up to the modern standards that we require for operating in today's airspace. Ten years from now about all you'd be able to say about it is - "Wasn't that the 182 that used to have just 201 TTAF?" That would be the real shame.

I'd say it's a 50k plane, if the engine has been gone through and everything works, something tells me someone is going to go hog wild on that though.

It's not a museum plane,

don't know anyone who collects 182s, but nut jobs collect all sorts of stuff just watch hoarders,

if it were me, I'd turn her into a 180, slap a 520 conversion on and make a very pretty and fun flyer out of her.

Last edited:
Several factors play into a sale at B-J......

If it a Weds sale.. it will go cheap..

Thurs sale will be higher..

Fri will be even higher..

Sat prime time will bring in the big bucks...

BUT... Ron Pratt sold his collection and he was about the only aviation buyer at B-J...

So.. I will predict it hammers for 32,500.00...:rolleyes::redface:

I bought this out of Ron's collection last year. I hear that he is back collecting again. I will be at the auction this year and will look the 182 over and give a pirep.

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_2047.jpg
    IMG_2047.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 204
Looks original to me, though the 12" fuselage registration marks were probably added later.

Yeah, the colors are ugly. But don't forget that when that airplane was new, otherwise-sane people were driving around in Dodge Custom Royal sedans with three-tone coral, turquoise and black paint jobs ...

:hairraise:

Bring back the fins!!!

1957%20Dodge%20Custom%20Royal%20Lancer%204d%20Hardtop%20Sedan%20back.jpg

I bought this out of Ron's collection last year. I hear that he is back collecting again. I will be at the auction this year and will look the 182 over and give a pirep.

attachment.php
Ron is back collecting again?

He just sold his Beech 18 a few weeks ago......for $350K. Too rich for my blood, but a guy in France didn't seem to mind.

Website says $66K? A lot for an old 182, but it is nice!! :yes:

Hammer dropped at $60k and Barrett gets a 10% buyers commission which they show as the sale price on the website.

Would make a great museum piece,or a fly around VFR personal aircraft.

Ron is back collecting again?

He just sold his Beech 18 a few weeks ago......for $350K. Too rich for my blood, but a guy in France didn't seem to mind.

I am here in Scottsdale.... The place is a complete zoo...:goofy::goofy::goofy:..

Ron Pratt is here too walking around so maybe he has the fever again..:dunno:

It vRefs out at $51K or so not even counting the historical significance.

Yeah, but not with a run out engine!

IMO, you can't vref a 58 year old engine at 200 hours...it has to be vref'ed as run out and thus the plane likely vrefs at $28k with the engine entered as run out.

That's where mine was at before OH w/3k TTAF and that included about $4k for avionics and the engine monitor. After OH it's at $55k.

So, I'll lose about $12k in the OH process.

Last edited:
I think it's only 8% on the sellers side, but not certain of that.

So one a $100K car they get $18,000.00 commission, not a bad gig if you can get it! We are lucky to make $1500 on a $65,000 truck!:eek:
I do enjoy watching it on TV, I guess I'll make it a bucket list item to attend! I just need to leave my checkbook, cash and credit cards in the hote!!

So one a $100K car they get $18,000.00 commission, not a bad gig if you can get it! We are lucky to make $1500 on a $65,000 truck!:eek:
I do enjoy watching it on TV, I guess I'll make it a bucket list item to attend! I just need to leave my checkbook, cash and credit cards in the hote!!

Their Scottsdale sale last year was over $135,000,000 in sales. Then add in the bidder fees - if you didn't buy a vehicle the previous year you pay $500-$600 for a paddle. Then the ticket sales for 100,000+. The vip passes. The vendor fees. I'm sure Craig Jackson does ok.

Cessna/Beech had a TTX, A36, 182, and a 206 on display. I couldn't get a sales critter to give me the time of day. :dunno:

Their Scottsdale sale last year was over $135,000,000 in sales. Then add in the bidder fees - if you didn't buy a vehicle the previous year you pay $500-$600 for a paddle. Then the ticket sales for 100,000+. The vip passes. The vendor fees. I'm sure Craig Jackson does ok.

Cessna/Beech had a TTX, A36, 182, and a 206 on display. I couldn't get a sales critter to give me the time of day. :dunno:
That's $25 million give or take a couple bucks, should pay for the tents and leave a little for a summer vacation! :D

They must have sensed that you already bought a Conquest!!

Last edited:
That's $25 million give or take a couple bucks, should pay for the tents and leave a little for a summer vacation! :D

I was sitting next to a guy that just bought a Citation X+ and who had a beautiful Willys custom coupe going across the block. They bought it for $198,000 in 2012 and were hoping for $250,000.

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/Events/Event/Details/1941-WILLYS-AMERICAR-CUSTOM-COUPE-189012

Went for $70k.

Ouch!! But, if you own a Citation X, I don't guess the loss is going to change their lives too much!

They said they were going to have to dial it back to 0.85m and change the wine to two buck chuck for a month or so. Rough life.

I never really liked that color combo, but damn that's a lot of money!

Somebody paid $500,000 for a Bandit Trans Am that was used for the movie promotion back in the day. Burt showed up and gave the red jacket and hat as part of the deal. He didn't look well.

Somebody paid $500,000 for a Bandit Trans Am that was used for the movie promotion back in the day. Burt showed up and gave the red jacket and hat as part of the deal. He didn't look well.

I saw that on TV, he hasn't held up as well as some of his contemporaries! But, he's had very interesting life.

Damn....no wonder WestWorld cared more about the car show than the polo club....

They said they were going to have to dial it back to 0.85m and change the wine to two buck chuck for a month or so. Rough life.

I suspect that'll last until they open the first bottle of two buck chuck.

Then they'll be back up to M0.90 (or whatever max cruise is, 0.92?) so they can get to a liquor store faster to get good stuff.

Back