182 Empty Weights

FlyingBob

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
FlyingBob
I was wondering if all the 182 owners could "weigh in" (no pun intended) with their empty weights. I bought my 182 last year in North Carolina, and imported it to Canada, where it was again re-weighed for its' import inspection. The airplane was heavily modified in the US before I bought it, and weighed in the US post modifications. I assume the importation inspection requires the aircraft to be re-weighed. It sure gained a lot of weight from its' US weight, to its' new Canada weight, with no other mods in between.
My empty weight is 1940lbs. How does this compare to others? Is this too high, or about where it should be?

What year is your 182?

Empty weights vary dramatically depending on submodel and age. Look at the original W&B data on a new 182S vs a 1950-something 182A and you'll see. Also, based on some "weigh-ins" I've seen, airplanes tend to gain about a pound a year in undocumented weight in the form of doublers, Adel clamps, fasteners, wire ties, etc. Thus, a 1965 182 which hasn't been weighed since it left the factory might upon being weighed today come in at as much as 50 lb over what the paperwork says.

Empty weight on the club's 1975 C182P, N55WB, is 1923 lbs. And we have the STC paperwork that extended the GTOW to 3100 lbs.

But heed C'Ron's comment about model and age and what extra "undocumented" clamps, ties, gadgets, trash, etc has been added.

If you're not 100% sure about your aircraft, consider a fresh W&B. From my experience the cost is reasonable for the service provided.

How do you get a P model up to 1923#? Ours is a '77Q and it lists out at 1836#. Granted we add 30# right of the bat for miscellaneous "stuff" that always seems to go along for the ride, but I'd do a math check if I had a P model weighing out that much.

Jeff

How do you get a P model up to 1923#? Ours is a '77Q and it lists out at 1836#. Granted we add 30# right of the bat for miscellaneous "stuff" that always seems to go along for the ride, but I'd do a math check if I had a P model weighing out that much.

Jeff

2 blade vs 3 blade is what? 20 pounds?

Weigh one full of gas then drain AND sump it and repeat. Weighing them full (subtracting "useable fuel') of gas is a great way to get a high empty weight in my experience.

Last edited:

Jeff

Let CAP use it for a few years. That will make it gain hundreds of pounds.

CAP has trouble fitting three adults in its G1000 182s.

last i looked at the paperwork for the Prototype that I sometimes fly, I think it was around 1750.

Jeff

Unknown what all is in there to raise the weight. But that's what was gotten when we did our W&B back in February of this year. So it's what we work with :rolleyes:

Does yours have an autopilot? If not, then some of that equipment might make up for the 60# difference.

Last edited:
Unknown what all is in there to raise the weight. But that's what was gotten when we did our W&B back in February of this year. So it's what we work with :rolleyes:

Does yours have an autopilot? If not, then some of that equipment might make up for the 60# difference.

Ours is loaded... only 2-blade, but Pponk, A/P, full /G panel. We did pull our ADF and as much of the associated wiring - I think that got us 12 lbs, but we added much of that back in SoundEx panels when we did the interior. All the P models I've seen ran around 1225-1230# or even a little more useful load with the Fresh Pick STC.

Ours is loaded... only 2-blade, but Pponk, A/P, full /G panel. We did pull our ADF and as much of the associated wiring - I think that got us 12 lbs, but we added much of that back in SoundEx panels when we did the interior. All the P models I've seen ran around 1225-1230# or even a little more useful load with the Fresh Pick STC.

N55WB Details: http://metroflyersclub.com/c182n55wb.html

But you do have me curious enough to go find the numbers on the W&B sheet next time I'm at the airplane.

But you do have me curious enough to go find the numbers on the W&B sheet next time I'm at the airplane.

You have a bit more weight stuffed in that panel than us, but the basic weight of P model is less than a Q. Several years ago we found (and corrected) a math error on our W&B that added a bit more weight than was correct.

The C model I was flying weighed 1767.
The M model weighed 1793.

Brian

Well, except that he said it was weighed when he imported it into Canada.

Missed that.... I guess it does depend on the quantity of touqes, back bacon, colemans, and beer you have loaded, eh?

bob_doug_hosers.jpg

Our old 1971 182N, nicely equipped, was 1737# empty. (2950 MGW)
Our 1978 R182, similarly equipped is 1743# empty. (3100 MGW)

1974 182P, a/p, garmin 530w, 2 blade, 1808# empty calc W&B

77 182Q, 1801 empty weight 2950 max gross, 1149 useful load.:D
Stock engine and prop, 530W, KX155, ADF, KT76A and a Cessna autopilot that works! A few options that I don't have are strobes, adjustable co-pilot seat or an HSI. We replaced to factory cloth seats with leather, I don't think that added much weight. ;)

1973 182P, empty is 1825 pounds.

Missed that.... I guess it does depend on the quantity of touqes, back bacon, colemans, and beer you have loaded, eh?

bob_doug_hosers.jpg

Eating back bacon and drinking beer helps us win Olympic gold in hockey. Women's hockey too.

Last edited:
Back