1800wxbrief.com

bobmrg

En-Route
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
Bob Gardner
With ICAO flight plans coming in October, it is time for all pilots to register with LockMart to take advantage of the many services they offer...they are really into smartphones and other digital wonders. Bookmark their site or put it on your desktop. Take a few moments to look at all of the tabs and dropdown menus.

On their home page (after registering) they have videos about filling out a domestic flight plan form (duh) with enhancements like suggesting a better altitude or route based on winds aloft and other esoterica. I trust that a similar video on ICAO filing is in the works.

I fully expect to be told that all of this is available from commercial sources....

Bob Gardner

Lockheed Martin has the service contract for flight services. He's talking about the site where you can enter flight plans and now get flight briefings without calling.

Just registered with them, how does this site compare to using DUATS?

Just registered with them, how does this site compare to using DUATS?

Similar info. But the way the information is organized and presented, I find it easier to assimilate.

I also like how clicking "NextGen" takes the old teletype-speak and makes it plain language.

Lockheed Martin has the service contract for flight services. He's talking about the site where you can enter flight plans and now get flight briefings without calling.

Plus much, much more. Clicking on all the tabs and exploring the dropdown menus is a revelation. I've already deleted SkyVector and www.aviationweather.gov from my computer because they can be accessed through 1800wxbrief.com.

Bob Gardner

I've been using LockMart for a couple or years now to activate (mandatory) ICAO VFR flight plans to Canada from the plane. Also handy is filing ICAO IFR flight plans to Canada, since up to now that was the only automated option for me (ICAO required for international flights, but not supported by Garmin Pilot (unsure about ForeFlight or others)).
Have not had any problem whatsoever with their automated service in dozens of VFR and IFR international flights.

I've already deleted SkyVector...

I'd really miss SkyVector if it up and left. It's nice to pop up a quick chart and day dream about flights...and what I'd have to do to navigate there, etc.

I'd really miss SkyVector if it up and left. It's nice to pop up a quick chart and day dream about flights...and what I'd have to do to navigate there, etc.

The sectionals on 1800wxbrief.com are far, far, less usable than skyvector. I'm sure it's not going anywhere.

Actually, I call when doing an international VFR flight to/from Mexico. I don't think there's an "online" option for that.

registered. poking around, looks like it'll take some getting used to. didn't like this, but I guess it's pretty typical these days:

User Disclaimer

This system is the property of Lockheed Martin and its subsidiaries and affiliates, and is intended for the use of authorized users only. Employees and users of these computing and information resources should have no expectation of privacy with regard to use of these resources. All activities of individuals using this computing system with or without authority, or in excess of their authority, may be monitored and recorded by system personnel or by third parties. Information regarding such monitoring may be provided to law enforcement officials or other third parties for any reason, and/or used for further legal action by this Corporation. Unauthorized use of this system is prohibited and may result in revocation of access, disciplinary action and/or legal action. The Corporation reserves the right to monitor and review user activity, files and electronic messages.

I wonder how much longer before they stop telephone briefings...?

FltPlan is a better product IMO, I had my IACO settings done years ago and default IACO flight plans selected for quite some time.

Most of the working IFR pilots I meet use FltPlan too, between the aircraft performance section and the default altitudes, it spot on IMO.

The only issue I have with 1800wxbrief.com is that there are periods where I can't get past the login page and end up getting resets thrown back at me. I don't know where the failure is, but I've experienced it at work, at home, and on my phone. This was only a couple of months ago, so I just have a sour taste in my mouth regarding availability. I was using them first, but now I use DUATS more frequently.

I wonder how much longer before they stop telephone briefings...?

It's no different from back when DUAT started and there were still FSS stations all over the country. I'd walk in for briefings and had the same question, the answer was simple, "as long as enough people keep using us, we'll be here, but people aren't coming in much anymore."

I'm a relatively new pilot with a Super Viking. So I'm still trying to use as much as possible. I call for a briefing over an hour and someone else on here mentioned the nextgen briefing. I find that ultra easy to read through now with color coding and it shows things like your route with a 3 segment color coded circle. What the conditions will be 1 hr before, during, and 1 hr after scheduled flight time. It also breaks it up into easier to use tabs. Sorry if everyone knows this but they just changed over during my training and I found it SO much easier to digest than 20 pages of plain text.

Am I the only one that still calls up a weather briefer?

No. the day I "register" for some kind of service with all my PPI, is the day I sell it all and buy a bigger boat. All you 'register' people can kiss my rosy red bass.

Well, because Bob recommended it, i went over to create an account. Once created, i started to change my password and was presented this info. Passwords must be:

Between 8 to 32 alphanumeric characters
At least 3 of the following 4 types of characters:
Uppercase letters
Lowercase letters
Numbers
Special characters
Cannot reuse current or most recent 12 passwords
Passwords must be changed every 365 days

I know IT people can be really anal, but for me this a bit over the top. This site is not my bank account, so i'm perplexed why the password rules would be so strict. Frankly, unless this site becomes mandatory or critical to my mission, i won't be going there.

Well, because Bob recommended it, i went over to create an account.

Frankly, unless this site becomes mandatory or critical to my mission, i won't be going there.

Too late, you already let your pants down. :mad2:

I still call frequently.

I did notice though that once I registered on the site the briefer knew it was me so they can clearly cross reference your PPI to your caller ID if you call in from such a phone. Although the purpose there is generating a paper trail should anything happen on your flight then there's a clear record you spoke to the briefer.

One purpose is so that LockMart can sell your name and phone number to any number of different marketing companies. Plane owner = wealthy in the minds of most marketing people.

Pass.

No. the day I "register" for some kind of service with all my PPI, is the day I sell it all and buy a bigger boat. All you 'register' people can kiss my rosy red bass.

Do you have that newfangled "LORAN" in your plane, or are you still using NDBs?

Does your boat have an 8-track player?

Sorry, just giving you s!+....

Do you have that newfangled "LORAN" in your plane, or are you still using NDBs?

Does your boat have an 8-track player?

Sorry, just giving you s!+....

No worries, I prolly deserve it.

I can take a joke fine, but if you think anything is ever gonna disappear from the internet data base, you are sorely mistaken.

I can download charts anon, I can update my GPS anon, I can pick up the GPS anon, I can get weather updates, METARs, NOTAMs anon. When I can't -- well, syonara to you good folks. :D

With ICAO flight plans coming in October, it is time for all pilots to register with LockMart to take advantage of the many services they offer...they are really into smartphones and other digital wonders. Bookmark their site or put it on your desktop. Take a few moments to look at all of the tabs and dropdown menus.

On their home page (after registering) they have videos about filling out a domestic flight plan form (duh) with enhancements like suggesting a better altitude or route based on winds aloft and other esoterica. I trust that a similar video on ICAO filing is in the works.

I fully expect to be told that all of this is available from commercial sources....

Bob Gardner
Huh? ICAO only? when did this get mandated and by who?

I still call frequently.

I did notice though that once I registered on the site the briefer knew it was me so they can clearly cross reference your PPI to your caller ID if you call in from such a phone. Although the purpose there is generating a paper trail should anything happen on your flight then there's a clear record you spoke to the briefer.

This is another reason I always call. I'll already have looked at the weather charts, and often am as I'm talking to them.

I still call frequently.

FltPlan offers QICP briefings to registered users

FltPlan's Quality of Service (QOS) Agreement to QICP users

FltPlan's QICP weather will meet these standards:
Reliabilty: No outages lasting longer than 10 minutes, and no more than 30 minutes of total outages in a continuous 3-month period.
Accessibility: FltPlan will initiate transmission of requested data during transactions with 100% of our users within 2 minutes.
Security: FltPlan will maintain Internet site authentication and maintain data integrity.
Retrievable Archive: FltPlan will maintain a retrievable archive of data received and provided in each transaction for a period of no less than 15 days after the date of the transaction.

Source of Weather
FltPlan.com uses weather reports and forecasts prepared by the National Weather Service (NWS) or a source approved by the NWS.

FAA Disclaimer
This Qualified Internet Communications Provider's (QICP) servers and communication interfaces are approved by the FAA as secure, reliable and accessible in accordance with AC00-62.
This QICP approval does not ensure the quality and currency of the information transmitted to you. The user assumes the entire risk related to the information and its use.

Many 135s have FltPlan and others listed as a approved weather source in their OpSpec, mine included.

I recommend to my students to review the online data, than call a briefer, sometimes it's nice for a low time guy to be able to ask the briefer questions, or hear things like "VFR not recommended".

After you get some hours, I just brief on FltPlan as I'm filing.

Last edited:

Nope. I call to double check if I missed anything accessing my weather and other preflight briefings through FF and aviationweather.com.

Nope. I call to double check if I missed anything accessing my weather and other preflight briefings through FF and aviationweather.com.
In addition to that I just like talking to someone about the weather!

Like Henning said I like to call and have them read the wx brief to me because they can decipher everything much better than me. Usually I like to use one of the aviation wx programs for reference and overview of the wx, but before I actually depart I like to call and have someone fill me in on everything.

I use the website and ForeFlight to review charts and TAFs and then usually call them while in the car on the way to the airport. Granted I already know most of what they tell me but its like my "weather checklist." I also like having that paper trail that an official person told me there were non TFRs in my area.

I call somewhat frequently. And I'm a very satisfied Skyvector user. I hope that doesn't go away at all. It's invaluable for flight planning the kind of stuff I do in the Dallas area.

registered. poking around, looks like it'll take some getting used to. didn't like this, but I guess it's pretty typical these days:

User Disclaimer

This system is the property of Lockheed Martin and its subsidiaries and affiliates, and is intended for the use of authorized users only. Employees and users of these computing and information resources should have no expectation of privacy with regard to use of these resources. All activities of individuals using this computing system with or without authority, or in excess of their authority, may be monitored and recorded by system personnel or by third parties. Information regarding such monitoring may be provided to law enforcement officials or other third parties for any reason, and/or used for further legal action by this Corporation. Unauthorized use of this system is prohibited and may result in revocation of access, disciplinary action and/or legal action. The Corporation reserves the right to monitor and review user activity, files and electronic messages.

Wow, that's pretty heavy-handed. :(

Back