172 Panel Upgrades

Stingray Don

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Stingray Don
My 172N has been in the avionics shop for the past few weeks getting some upgrades. I went by the airport yesterday and snapped a pic. It looks like a mess but the guys tell me it should be done in the next few days. I can't wait to get back in the air!

Upgrades:

GTN 650 GPS
GDL-88 ADS -B
GPSS integrated with S-Tec 50 A/P
GTX 327 transponder
KMA 24 audio panel

Adios old Loran, ADF, and yoke mounted GPS!

Attachments

• 3-5.JPG
    3-5.JPG
    584.2 KB · Views: 195
Last edited:
Sounds like some good upgrades, cant wait to see a picture after its finished!

Yeah solid upgrades. I heart the GTN and I really really heart GPSS/autopilot. You'll be livin' large especially if you do IFR.

That's some upgrade for a 172, your ready to go. Enjoy.

It looks like a mess but the guys tell me it should be done in the next few days. I can't wait to get back in the air!

Sounds like you'll be flying again by August, then! :wink2:

My 172N has been in the avionics shop for the past few weeks getting some upgrades. I went by the airport yesterday and snapped a pic. It looks like a mess but the guys tell me it should be done in the next few days. I can't wait to get back in the air!

Upgrades:

GTN 650 GPS
GDL-88 ADS -B
GPSS integrated with S-Tec 50 A/P
GTX 327 transponder
KMA 24 audio panel

Adios old Loran, ADF, and yoke mounted GPS!

Nice. When the Experimental Non Commercial comes through, you'll be perfect to add a G3X and have a true moden 172.

What year....:dunno:...........;)

Let's hope it doesn't take that long! Actually, they made great progress yesterday and should have it back next week. I don't have my IR yet but I am studying the ground material and will be starting flight training once the plane is done. This should make a great IR platform. :rofl:

1979 172N
180 Air Plains conversion
useful load 1,025 lbs
O&N 18 gallon auxiliary tank
RMD wingtip lights
Sigtronics 4 place intercom
dual PTT
S-Tec 50 two axis A/P
Auto fuel STC
Precise Flight standby vac
vertical compass card mag compass
articulating pilot seat

Last edited:

Nice. When the Experimental Non Commercial comes through, you'll be perfect to add a G3X and have a true moden 172.

What now? That sounds interesting. Will we see such a rule in our lifetime?

Wow, looks nice.
Would you mind talking about the costs? I would like to get a feel of what one would have to expect for the upgrade of an older bird.

Wow, looks nice.
Would you mind talking about the costs? I would like to get a feel of what one would have to expect for the upgrade of an older bird.

I'm not sure what the final bill will be but should come in under $30K. However, in addition to what was previously listed also includes a new CDI to work with the 650, a remanufactured TKM #2 radio, and laser cut metal lower switch panel. Note that the A/P was previously installed and not included in the cost.

I haven't heard of the experimental non commercial but sure sounds interesting. I did look at the Aspen Evolution but I have already sunk a lot of money in this plane and it is still just a 172.

What now? That sounds interesting. Will we see such a rule in our lifetime?

It's already made out of Congress as a proposal/order. There is only one mod I would like to see and that is match the limitation to 6000lbs like the medical.

I haven't heard of the experimental non commercial but sure sounds interesting. I did look at the Aspen Evolution but I have already sunk a lot of money in this plane and it is still just a 172.

Look what a G-1000 172 goes for. You get the same capability with a G-500, and with the 650 a better interface.

Well that's relative because comparing your N to my G is like oranges to nectarines...:D

Just curious, but why a 327 instead of a 330es?

Just curious, but why a 327 instead of a 330es?

The 330es instead of the GDL 88 would have been a cheaper path to 2020 compliance. From what I understand, the 330es is TIS-A only and provides no ADS-B in capability (separate solution required for weather and traffic). However, the GDL 88 also provides TIS-B, ADS-B in, and integration with the GTN 650. So the GDL 88 seemed like a better solution albeit for a price.

Last edited:
Back