172 into O'hare........

Nice video.

The flashing yellow light on the taxiway after landing, is that what's called a runway guard light?

Last edited:
What kind of camera was this shot with?

Also, did you do anything special for wake avoidance?

That was great, all those lights! That's amazing..good video and what fun!!

Denny Cunningham (one of the regular contributors to IFR Magazine in the day and admittedly a ORD tower controller) used to fly his 140 into the ORD to get to work.

Knew a pilot that flew a C-182 into KBOs, bounced the landing and went around.:goofy: Friend in the backseat said tower was too dumbfounded to be ****ed.

Wow! How did you get approval to do that? Obviously, the controller was not excited about it at first.

I have flown into 2 big "B" airports and the time to taxi at one of them was as long as a drive to a smaller airport. Amazing how big these airports are when you are actually on them in a small airplane. Cool stuff..

Nice video.

The flashing yellow light on the taxiway after landing, is that what's called a runway guard light?

That is exactly what they are. Although I had never heard them called that before. We always knew them as "Wig-Wag" lights. They are an indicator that one must not go past that point without a clearance.

Seriously, I would have been pretty scared of the wake of that 747. No experience with anything like that personally, but imagine I would have landed further down the runway out of shear terror of getting rolled.

Awesome video!

Seriously, I would have been pretty scared of the wake of that 747.

For what it is worth, I noticed that the approach on short final was well below the VASI (PAPI, or whatever you want to call it.) I think if it were me, I would have flown the approach with all whites showing and landed 1500 to 2000 feet down the runway.

I agree with the previous two posters... I would have landed 1/3 of the way down the runway to stay out of that 747 wake. I trained at a Class-C and perhaps I had more wake-avoidance training than those who trained at uncontrolled fields, but that seemed a rather scary place to be behind a heavy.... and at night. Yikes!

Only an idiot would have flown a C-152 to SFO in the middle of the day. :goofy:

I know, because I did it. :yikes:

Have flown single engine piston into MSP, PHL, DFW, ATL and JFK (3x), never called ahead for permission, didn't have any issues.

These were all full stops with a trip to the FBO, they didn't bat an eyelid.

Was with someone who requested LOC RWY 27 into SAN with a low approach and they told him to pound sand. They said, "if you're coming here, you need to land." Seems to make a difference.

Have flown single engine piston into MSP, PHL, DFW, ATL and JFK (3x), never called ahead for permission, didn't have any issues.

These were all full stops with a trip to the FBO, they didn't bat an eyelid.

Was with someone who requested LOC RWY 27 into SAN with a low approach and they told him to pound sand. They said, "if you're coming here, you need to land." Seems to make a difference.

Also helps greatly if you're on an IFR flight plan. In fact, I believe if you are IFR, they CANNOT tell you to go away.

For what it is worth, I noticed that the approach on short final was well below the VASI (PAPI, or whatever you want to call it.) I think if it were me, I would have flown the approach with all whites showing and landed 1500 to 2000 feet down the runway.

Agree. When I landed at IND I had to "drive" for a mile to get to Signature.

Nice job,good preplanning with ATC. You make us little guys proud.,

67889fab073d314fc2c97a684c51d76c38dcc134ea48a8376d97173a1d1ee313.jpg

I went into Cleveland (KCLE) one night just ahead of a massive thunderstorm and right behind a 777.
At night.
This was in the massive, multi engined Apache.
It's just another stinkin airport guys - albeit expensive.
Being that I was unscheduled he did initially say 'leave my airspace'
(not the friendliest greeting I have ever had)
My short and sweet reply was 'unable'
Five seconds of silence then 'fly a right base and follow the triple seven two miles ahead cleared to land'
And that was it. I was just another arrival taxiing to the FBO.

I went into Cleveland (KCLE) one night just ahead of a massive thunderstorm and right behind a 777.
At night.
This was in the massive, multi engined Apache.
It's just another stinkin airport guys - albeit expensive.
Being that I was unscheduled he did initially say 'leave my airspace'
(not the friendliest greeting I have ever had)
My short and sweet reply was 'unable'
Five seconds of silence then 'fly a right base and follow the triple seven two miles ahead cleared to land'
And that was it. I was just another arrival taxiing to the FBO.

Were you IFR?

One of the keys to working in and out of big airports with a small plane is to ask for intersection take offs and mid field landings. If you can work off the last half of a 11,000' runway, you offer the controller options to handle you expediently.

One of the keys to working in and out of big airports with a small plane is to ask for intersection take offs and mid field landings. If you can work off the last half of a 11,000' runway, you offer the controller options to handle you expediently.

Midfield landings don't help. They would rather you hit the numbers and get off rather than watch you fly slow longer over half the airport.

Midfield landings don't help. They would rather you hit the numbers and get off rather than watch you fly slow longer over half the airport.

Midfields had me on base midfield and setting down at 7000' down an 11,000' runway and getting clear at a high speed right down by where I had to go.

Midfields had me on base midfield and setting down at 7000' down an 11,000' runway and getting clear at a high speed right down by where I had to go.

Okay, from the downwind it could be useful.

The pilot answered the wake turbulence question on reddit:

"I'm guessing the 747 was at least 5-8 minutes ahead of us, and when we turned final he was already off the runway."

Keeping your speed up helps more. If you can keep 135kts on the GS, it is much easier to work in than a 172 coming in at 70. Even 90-100kts and floating down the runway as you decel is easier.

Keeping your speed up helps more. If you can keep 135kts on the GS, it is much easier to work in than a 172 coming in at 70. Even 90-100kts and floating down the runway as you decel is easier.

Let's play with that a bit. Say the pilot uses his superior skill and runs the approach WOT. He's aiming for the last 3,000 of a 10,000 rwy. Judiciously he throws in all the drag inducing functions of his aircraft but it's not enough. He wants to minimize float so as much as he is comfortable he aggressively enters a fwd slip to touchdown. He does the same thing when winds dictate so why not this time when mixing it up with big iron and peevish controllers?

Let's play with that a bit. Say the pilot uses his superior skill and runs the approach WOT. He's aiming for the last 3,000 of a 10,000 rwy. Judiciously he throws in all the drag inducing functions of his aircraft but it's not enough. He wants to minimize float so as much as he is comfortable he aggressively enters a fwd slip to touchdown. He does the same thing when winds dictate so why not this time when mixing it up with big iron and peevish controllers?

In my limited experience you would have to be exiting a steep dive with a tailwind to not be able to normally lands a 172 on a 10k' runway with full flaps. I did that at CMH once and by easing the flaps in at the appropriate speeds I slowed quickly.

Having done the same thing in a 182 I will say that it was more effective in the bigger plane!

It is harvest time so I spend most of my waking hours in the combine - and a bit late checking the chatter on here. It is just light here and I am going to go service the machinery in a few minutes for another day in a roaring dust cloud.. With 2 dollar corn, not making any money this year. Where is that E85 when I need it? :)

No, I was not IFR at the time. FSS had promised that the lake was clear - and it had been from the East coast until that moment. We were about 5 miles off shore and abeam KCLE at the time. In 5 minutes it just blew up with lightning bolts in a 360 around me. Tried to go into Elryia and just as I turned to base we saw a roll cloud come marching across the field. Later when I called FSS from the ground they expressed their amazement. Said the scope went from clear to lightning everywhere in minutes.

It was indeed a triple seven and called out as such by the tower. Now this was roughly ten years ago, if that has anything to do with it.

In my limited experience you would have to be exiting a steep dive with a tailwind to not be able to normally lands a 172 on a 10k' runway with full flaps. I did that at CMH once and by easing the flaps in at the appropriate speeds I slowed quickly.

Having done the same thing in a 182 I will say that it was more effective in the bigger plane!

For the purpose of the flight it is not a 10,000 rwy. It is a 3,000 foot rwy at the end of a 10,000 foot rwy. Barreling along level at 10' agl.

Back