172 Coast to Coast Ferry

PilotRPI

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
PilotRPI
Any idea what it would run to ferry a 172 from Boston to San Fran? I have a potential buyer but just don't have the time to do the trip right now.

Any idea what it would run to ferry a 172 from Boston to San Fran? I have a potential buyer but just don't have the time to do the trip right now.
Time, mostly for weather. You could probably find a competent pilot to do it for $1,000 or less.

Shouldn’t it be the buyer’s responsibility to get the airplane from where it is to his airport?

Shouldn’t it be the buyer’s responsibility to get the airplane from where it is to his airport?

Yes, it will be his responsibility to set it all up. He said he would pay full price if I would deliver. I don't have the time, so said I would pay for part of the delivery. I'm trying to assist him through the buying process a bit as he seems a bit confused about how timing works in terms of transfer of ownership, liability for breakage etc. Selling things is always quite an interesting journey.

If you are a seller and the potential buyer wants you to fly the airplane across the country so he/she can look at it, you need to consider what happens if he decides not to buy it, or decides to buy it but wants you to fix any number of "problems" he/she perceives (or steeply discount the price). Your bargaining position is very weak with the airplane 2500 miles from home.

I don't mean to be a wet blanket, but horror stories abound.

Take some money off the selling price ,and have the buyer ,come and get it.

If he closes the deal with the plane still on your coast and the ferry is baked into the price, then this works.

I paid for my ferry pilot’s time, and one way ticket for him to get back home.

I'm in the North East and would easily ferry this out to CA. Folks are right on the nail though---350/day plus one way back home is what I look for.

Depends on how competent a pilot you want and what the new owners insurance wants.

It's basically expenses (including air fair) plus a daily rate which depends on the experience of the pilot.

Real world, this time of year you probably don't want a low time time builder for that type of trip, I'd say 250-350 a day would be about right for a ATP.

I would sell him the plane here in MA after a prebuy and then someone would ferry him his plane back to CA. No way I’m moving a plane to CA just to find out he is no longer interested. This conversation is just to see how much I may need to help him with ferry costs as part of a negotiation.

Thanks everyone! Is it possible people on POA actually agreed on something?!! Everyone gave a very similar answer. It’s making me uncomfortable.

I always wonder though when you see deals like this. You mean to tell me there are no 172s for sale on the west coast? As this airplane travels from east coast to west coast for a buyer, I'd be willing to bet another aircraft is going the opposite direction. It always amazes me at the distances people will travel to find their "perfect" airplane.

I always wonder though when you see deals like this. You mean to tell me there are no 172s for sale on the west coast? As this airplane travels from east coast to west coast for a buyer, I'd be willing to bet another aircraft is going the opposite direction. It always amazes me at the distances people will travel to find their "perfect" airplane.

People in CA often will pay more for aircraft and planes sold in CA seem to list for more $$

Besides its a airplane not a cantaloupe, not shopping local isn't really that abnormally when you're buying something built to travel.

The only thing I find odd is that people don't fly their own airplanes home, like if you don't have time to fly it home, why are you buying it in the first place.

I generally agree, but I put enough faith in the OP to have figured that part out. Sometimes it's just timing, don't know. But either way, if the plane makes it home I guess it's a decent plane. The tricky part is when something happens along the way. Ideally the seller gets a quote for delivery, offers a credit for that amount, and the responsibility is with the buyer to work out the details. It could get expensive if there's weather or a mechanical along the way that holds things up.

$400/day plus expenses

399/day plus expenses. :)

Depends on how competent a pilot you want and what the new owners insurance wants.

It's basically expenses (including air fair) plus a daily rate which depends on the experience of the pilot.

Real world, this time of year you probably don't want a low time time builder for that type of trip, I'd say 250-350 a day would be about right for a ATP.

I'll do it for $100/day plus expenses, but it'll take me 4x longer than @tonycondon because I'll go sightseeing with it along the way. ;)

Bidding war.

Bidding war.

My "bid" was purposely the highest. If Tony will do it for $400/day, then I'm guessing my $100/4x as many days ends up costing more because the "expenses" part would include hotels, meals, etc.

I'm trying to bring the cost UP, not down.

I'm guesstimating around 30 hours of flight time KBOS-KSFO based on 125 kts at 6000 feet until Colorado avoiding the Great Lakes, terrain out west, special use airspace, and using today's winds aloft. Waiting for the right day could significantly reduce that time.

You would think that going all the way across the country to buy an airplane would be mostly limited to unique, higher end, or special use aircraft and not for more ubiquitous planes like a C-172 or PA28. That just seems logical. Right? However many people do travel large distances for these types due for reasons of their own. If the buyer ends up satisfied with what he gets and the seller gets a decent price, who are we to disagree?

There typical ways this works, and then there's what you're doing ;-)

Do you have a sale contract that specifies all the details? I'm curious why you aren't searching for ferry pilots to contact? There are lots of them, and your A&P probably knows them. Once you've done that, forward the information to the buyer and let him work out the deal. You get paid before the ferry pilot takes possession.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There typical ways this works, and then there's what you're doing ;-)

Do you have a sale contract that specifies all the details? I'm curious why you aren't searching for ferry pilots to contact? There are lots of them, and your A&P probably knows them. Once you've done that, forward the information to the buyer and let him work out the deal. You get paid before the ferry pilot takes possession.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with all that. Buyer seems uninformed so was trying to help him out and get a rough idea on prices to see if it was worth pursuing. It is his plane after the prebuy and purchase before it moves. Will def have a contract too.

As for flight planning, 95kts and 7 gph. Beats me why he doesn’t want a more local plane. But if he wants to pay full price, who am I to argue? Better than the people offering me a price before they see logs or ask any questions. Those just blow my mind.

You would think that going all the way across the country to buy an airplane would be mostly limited to unique, higher end, or special use aircraft and not for more ubiquitous planes like a C-172 or PA28. That just seems logical. Right? However many people do travel large distances for these types due for reasons of their own. If the buyer ends up satisfied with what he gets and the seller gets a decent price, who are we to disagree?

Thats what I was referring to, although I agree it does happen. I could see if you wanted a Stearman, or something very specific and unusual to find for sale. But buying a 172 across the country to me would be like buying a Ford from Florida instead of Colorado. But people do that too. Just the cost to get it home would make it more lucrative to find local.

C'mon PoA! Where's the private pilot saying he will do it for free and then the 12 folks to pile on that is considered compensation and is illegal!
Why bother when Barnstormers.com is full of commercial pilots who will do it for practically free.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Why bother when Barnstormers.com is full of commercial pilots who will do it for practically free.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just make sure you have good insurance on it and they are ok with the (probably low time) pilot.

Winter cross the country flight is quite fun, but also not ideal for inexperienced pilots.

C'mon PoA! Where's the private pilot saying he will do it for free and then the 12 folks to pile on that is considered compensation and is illegal!

Fine, I’ll do it for free plus return flight ticket!

Ok on a serious note, I am PPL, if I fly a plane somewhere ( I won't unless it's a low wing), and I get paid for expenses alone and air ticket, nothing for the flight itself... that shouldn't be considered illegal. Rt?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Ok on a serious note, I am PPL, if I fly a plane somewhere ( I won't unless it's a low wing), and I get paid for expenses alone and air ticket, nothing for the flight itself... that shouldn't be considered illegal. Rt?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Since POAdeleted20 isn’t here to yell at you...logging the flight time is considered compensation so it is considered illegal if you log it.

Since POAdeleted20 isn’t here to yell at you...logging the flight time is considered compensation so it is considered illegal if you log it.
hmm... not that i am ferrying plane anywhere.. but that seem to be .. o well

I would do it, I’m a few hours from Boston. Day rate and an economy comfort ticket home. And I’ve done that route before in a slow single-engine.

Back