12V power options in flight

TangoWhiskey

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
3Green
While ferrying my TR182 home from Phoenix, we found that my 12V adapter (which has a dual USB slot with a 2.1A and 1A slot) cycled on/off/on/off every 1.5 seconds, as evidenced by both the blue light in the face of the adapter, and the lightning bolt charging indication on my iPad. The adapter is rated for 12-24V input (I have a 24V electrical system). The guy who was with me also had an adapter, and his worked fine.

I also have two USB-charging bricks, as backups to all else.

There are some in-panel options now too, but pricey.

I'm wondering what devices you all use in cockpit for charging / powering your portable electronics, that have proven compatible with the aircraft's systems? Anybody using an inverter? I could do that, and just keep the charging bricks plugged in and charging on 110V (theoretically, haven't tried it).

I have one of those portable jumper units in my car which has a USB outlet. You can run an iPad forever off that thing. Granted it's not the lightest or smallest thing but does provide a nice extra use for that huge battery.

I bought the 12v USB splitter from Sporty's thinking that it would be airplane friendly. It's OK... probably better than others... but not perfect. It charges just fine, but every so often on certain frequencies it will generate a lot of static and kill the squelch. There have been times it has interfered with transmissions. If I hit a frequency that it is jacking up, I'll just unplug the thing and it's fine. Better than nothing!

Sounds like you need to get what your friend had. :D

I did that once and then had to take antibiotics for a week...oh, wait, that isn't what you meant...:redface:

I use this external battery from New Trent. It will charge an iPad with the screen on. This plus the iPad's internal battery gives me charging capability for iPad and iPhone(s) all day and then some.

I don't even use the outlet in the airplane but I do have one of those 1/2A amp adapters that you described.

Troy, you can either run a single red wire to this device, mount it in your panel, and have unlimited power for your tablet and phone....or you can follow the FAA rules and pay some avionics shop big-bucks to do it for you.

http://commitlift.com/

I put this in our RV-8A in about an hour. It was easy as pie, and easily keeps up with the tablet's demands.

While ferrying my TR182 home from Phoenix, we found that my 12V adapter (which has a dual USB slot with a 2.1A and 1A slot) cycled on/off/on/off every 1.5 seconds, as evidenced by both the blue light in the face of the adapter, and the lightning bolt charging indication on my iPad. The adapter is rated for 12-24V input (I have a 24V electrical system). The guy who was with me also had an adapter, and his worked fine.

I also have two USB-charging bricks, as backups to all else.

There are some in-panel options now too, but pricey.

I'm wondering what devices you all use in cockpit for charging / powering your portable electronics, that have proven compatible with the aircraft's systems? Anybody using an inverter? I could do that, and just keep the charging bricks plugged in and charging on 110V (theoretically, haven't tried it).

I've had crappy luck with power adapters and airplanes. At this point I don't even bother anymore and just bring a USB brick.

Basically if I start with the Stratus, iPad, and brick fully charged I've flown 17 hours tach in one day and still had hours of juice left using the USB brick.

What about this, Troy?

Charger

I'd really like to install a hard wired charger in my plane like this one but I doubt it'd ever fly with my A&P.

Last edited:
There are a few different solutions. The one I've settled on is a 24VDC-110VAC adapter. Plug in USB, laptop, whatever. That said, I haven't used it a great deal - leave with a topped off iPad, and I'm good. I don't leave it on all the time, with the 530W and 430W there's not a need to run the iPad all the time. I suspect it will be more useful for running wife/kid's electronics.

If you want to go all out, I have a 500W 24-110 inverter that's built-in for sale. Power heated blankets and everything.

The traditional "cigarette lighter" interface has some significantly suckish properties. It was designed for a cigarette lighter that will heat up and pop out. And, the center connector is spring loaded in a way that it can cause the whole assembly to back out with vibration. Plus, it is not a sliding contact that would wipe away any contaminants. But, unfortunately, it has become the de facto standard. When I had a boat, I cut off the "lighter" ends from everything and put banana plugs on (and, obviously, mounted banana jacks in place of the "lighter" socket).

The traditional "cigarette lighter" interface has some significantly suckish properties. It was designed for a cigarette lighter that will heat up and pop out. And, the center connector is spring loaded in a way that it can cause the whole assembly to back out with vibration. Plus, it is not a sliding contact that would wipe away any contaminants. But, unfortunately, it has become the de facto standard. When I had a boat, I cut off the "lighter" ends from everything and put banana plugs on (and, obviously, mounted banana jacks in place of the "lighter" socket).

I really prefer the Powerlet plug. I converted the motorcycle awhile back, maybe I should do the airplane as well.

http://www.powerlet.com/shop-by-product/power-distribution/PWRDIST

I have tried several USB to cigarette lighter adapters.

I cannot get them to actually charge the ipad or stratus. I only gain the ability to maintain the charge. 12 volt system in a C182 and BE35.

The USB brick increases the charge to both devices.

I have tried several USB to cigarette lighter adapters.

I cannot get them to actually charge the ipad or stratus. I only gain the ability to maintain the charge. 12 volt system in a C182 and BE35.

2.1A?

I have a dual charger that I plug into the lighter...one 2.1A, one 1A...it'll charge the iPad albeit slowly...and that's with the screen on and foreflight running.

Troy that's all amateur stuff! Just get one of these. Holds about a gallon of gas and will give you all the extra power you need. Just keep those windows cracked a bit:wink2:

Attachments

• mini gen_.jpg
    mini gen_.jpg
    202 KB · Views: 11
I don't know where your battery is, but what I did was install Battery-minder's harness to my battery for charge-tending, and then bought one of their USB charging sticks to fit it.

It's straight off the battery with it's own fuse, and while you can't use it in flight, it will super charge a phone or ipad in about thirty minutes from dead to full.

I just plug my phone or pad into it wherever we land or take a break. It's very fast charging.

battery_tender_usb_charger_listing.jpg

Back